If you are just learning barre chords this exercise is a great way to break up a full barre chord into smaller sections in order to practice getting used to them. At first just start with the bass note. Then add a few more strings as you get it to work. Try the same approach from the treble register and just play the high strings! Then gradually add the other strings.
This is a great way for beginners to ramp up to learning to play barre chords.
If you like this lesson, then the GT Fundamentals Course covers barre chords. Also the Rock course has a lot of material on using barre chords in various ways!
Anders' latest All Styles tutorials
Learn more about your instructor
- Getting Musical With Harmonics
- Scales On One String
- Inside Picking
- Playing Behind the Bridge and Above the Nut
- Keith Richards Style Chord Lick
- Major Pentatonic
- Double Drop D
- Breaking Up Barre Chords
- Thumbs Voicings
- How To Get Creative With A Blues Lick
- The Ultimate Country Lick
- Cool Surf Riff
- Outlaw Western
- Open Position Blues Tricks
- Writing Music On Guitar
- Hybrid Picking
- Arpeggiating Open Chords
- Conquering Stage Fright And Nerves
- Making Riffs Out Of Chords
- Chicks And Fills
- Cowboy Chords
- Simple Piano Style Blues Lick
- Easy String Bending Trick
- Making Pentatonic Sound Jazzy
- Knopfler-Style Rhythm Playing
- Knopfler-Style Lead Playing
I find it quite easy (so far!) to navigate, and found the "where do I start" to be very helpful! I'm getting there!!
I LOVE the forum, too. I've never been one to use forums, but the GT forum is full of great people and helpful information at ALL levels! Congrats on a WONDERFUL site!!Good job!