touchy topic....just wondering

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/25/2006 2:35 am
Originally Posted by: wikipediaSubsequent Mayhem bootleg Dawn of the Black Hearts. Euronymous was particularly cold and opportunistic about Dead's suicide; in interviews he claimed, speciously, that Dead had killed himself due to the rising popularity of death metal, the American movement Black Metal had risen against. According to Hellhammer, Euronymous took pieces of Dead's brain and made a stew, in which he put ham, frozen vegetables, and paprika. "He'd always said he wanted to eat flesh, so he figured this was an easy way." Euronymous also claimed to have collected and forged fragments of Dead's skull into necklaces, sending pieces to those he felt 'worthy'. Hellhammer has said he made a necklace from Dead's skull fragments as well.

My goodness. Brain stew. This guy is screwed in the head.
Here is the picture. WARNING-A Little disturbing.

In all my life I will never understand these people.

I was going to start a new thread about this, but it kind of all fits in in a weird way i think...
I haven't been truly scared for probably about ten years. Today broke that streak.
Today I went to a blue jays game in Toronto (Beat the red socks 13-4). We were walking back to the car, and on a street corner was this lady. She was probably about 20. She looked like a skeleton. She was obviously coked out of her mind. She had this freaky hollow look, and she just stood there. She was holding a newspaper and just dropped it...and stood there. Then she looked right at me. It was the scariest thing I've ever seen...

Once again...I will never understand these people.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/26/2006 2:51 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyI was going to start a new thread about this, but it kind of all fits in in a weird way i think...
I haven't been truly scared for probably about ten years. Today broke that streak.
Today I went to a blue jays game in Toronto (Beat the red socks 13-4). We were walking back to the car, and on a street corner was this lady. She was probably about 20. She looked like a skeleton. She was obviously coked out of her mind. She had this freaky hollow look, and she just stood there. She was holding a newspaper and just dropped it...and stood there. Then she looked right at me. It was the scariest thing I've ever seen...

Once again...I will never understand these people.

how does that fit in this thread?
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/26/2006 3:03 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyit kind of all fits in in a weird way

^^^^^^^^^

:)
# 3
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/26/2006 3:59 am
again, how does it fit. i'm not seeing it....and i'm pretty good at connecting stuff.

as it is, the whole satanism thing was getting off topic.
# 4
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
09/26/2006 4:48 am
Us...get off topic? Naah.
Perhaps his first instinct to make a new thread was more on target, but I'm guessing the similarity is on the irrational behaviors of others that we just can't...well, rationalize, like getting "coked" out of your mind, and the literal craziness that results. And if I can make a link between the Rebel flag and Islamic radicals, admittedly a stretch, then he can't be asking too much more to slip that in. :)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 5
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/26/2006 5:02 am
i'm sorry if i came off as strict about the topic....the other boards i'm on, the topic rarely stays on track....i just more wanted to know how the hell it was connected....i was curious.
# 6
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
09/26/2006 5:16 am
It's all good dude.
It did take me some deeper pondering to make that connection myself, which I prolly just glossed over until you raised it. That's assuming I was correct in the "weird way" it fits in. And yeah, we usually need a reminder to stay on topic.

So for that purpose, I have noticed how the "creationists" will loosely throw around scientific terms to give credit to their ideas. Such as calling it a theory, which by definition has already progressed from hypothesis by being observed, tested/experimented, and repeated. But I guess creation hypothesis doesn't have the same ring to it. Actually, I guess they've abandoned that term completely now, and adopted "intelligent design". But they'll still stick on theory at the end sometimes too.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 7
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/26/2006 5:35 am
well the only real evidence i ever see is an absence of evidence.

the absence of evidence is not the evidence of abscence....suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/26/2006 7:12 pm
Heres something humorous.

"NO ONE can come to Christ unless the Father who sent Him draws him" (John 6:44)

The greek for "draw" means "drag".

so am I choosing or am I being chosen?So much for "free will".

As far as physical evidence,its futile to look for physical evidence of a spiritual being.Throughout the bible God says to pretty much take a look around for yourself and see his WORK of the cosmos(universe) to confirm his existence.

As for faith....death is too "big" for me...I can't do that alone..its a dark bottomless pit that all living things fall towards from birth...heres hoping that there is a net(God).

theres a verse that faith the size of mustard seed can move a mountain....bible or not,I find that infinitley inspiring.

If there is nothing beyond,then all the magnificence of our universe is a shallow spill.

I actually write all this in sorrow and repentance to some extent.Having sex with girls I don't "really love" has been weighing on my heat in the last few months.Not sure why.I get lonley and want affection.Ive been with 13-14 girls(i'm 21) and I consider it a dirty shame.

Am I a dirty person for this?My conscience beats me like an angry father.Very odd.My stomach literally hurts with shame and its sits like an albatross over my head.
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/26/2006 8:15 pm
This is for whoever it was that said they believed in every word of the Bible (I think it was ericthecableguy, but I can't be sure). I don't mean to insult your beliefs, and please forgive me if it seems like I'm doing that, but I have found some Bible verses I find to be hilarious, and I want to know what you think about them.

Leviticus 12:2-5
Leviticus 19:27-28
Deuteronomy 14:3-6
Deuteronomy 21:18-21
Deuteronomy 22:5
Deuteronomy 23:1

And my personal favourite:
Deuteronomy 25:5-10

I'm really not trying to piss anyone off here, I just found all of these to be utterly strange and ridiculous.
# 10
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/27/2006 12:00 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckThis is for whoever it was that said they believed in every word of the Bible (I think it was ericthecableguy, but I can't be sure). I don't mean to insult your beliefs, and please forgive me if it seems like I'm doing that, but I have found some Bible verses I find to be hilarious, and I want to know what you think about them.

Leviticus 12:2-5
Leviticus 19:27-28
Deuteronomy 14:3-6
Deuteronomy 21:18-21
Deuteronomy 22:5
Deuteronomy 23:1

And my personal favourite:
Deuteronomy 25:5-10

I'm really not trying to piss anyone off here, I just found all of these to be utterly strange and ridiculous.

Ya, I get how they sound funny, but these rules were for early pre-Jesus Jews. Ya they are funny now, but were obviously for a reason.
Kudo's to you for finding those verses. I haven't cracked the book in a long time. :o
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 11
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
09/27/2006 12:22 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyYa, I get how they sound funny, but these rules were for early pre-Jesus Jews. Ya they are funny now, but were obviously for a reason.
Kudo's to you for finding those verses. I haven't cracked the book in a long time. :o

Yeah, there's a lot of things in the bible that read funny now. But Eric is right. These were laws and such for the Old Testament. Jesus' life, death and resurrection supercedes those laws...with the noted exception of the Ten Commandments. Jesus even instructs several people to continue to obey the Big Ten (the commandments, not the College Football Conference...).

And although this thought has not popped up in this thread, I believe that there is plenty of evidence that God has a sense of humor. Just look at my social life.... :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/27/2006 12:24 am
Before I respond to anything here, let me say a couple of things up front:

1. I am not an atheist; I subscribe to no specific religion, but I recognize within myself a deep seated need to have a spiritual component in my life. Subsequently, I believe that our individual religious convictions are amongst the most precious of possession we carry with us.

2. Anything that I say here that sounds in any way disrespectful or condescending is not intended that way. I say this because I'm delving into an issue which people get awful sensitive about and it can be tough to put things "tenderly" enough.

Originally Posted by: Tonja_ReneeI recently just started reading into the bible because I needed to find out for myself what it is that I beleive..

I too was beleiving that Evolution was based on Science, well its what they taught me in school. But Evolution is just a theory. I'm not sure if it was just my school, but I was led to beleive that this was actually proven, when in fact it was not. Just Theories..[/quote]
I blame the schools for comments like this; the word "theory" means one thing to we, 'the masses' and something entirely different to Scientists.

In Science, "Theory" means that an idea or a set of ideas explains all the facts in evidence and has withstood even the most extensive testing. The word scientists use for what most of us call "theory" is "Hypothesis."

If we are to disown Evolution as being "only" a theory, then we need to throw the heliocentric model of the solar system* right in the trash because that's a theory, too and there's A LOT less evidence for it than there is for Evolution; it is merely a simpler model for the solar system than the old one of epicycles and whatnot.

*And gravitation. And optics. And Relativity. And thermodynamics...

Originally Posted by: Tonja_ReneeEvolution in my opinion is a religion.. Because you have to have some sort of faith that the world began that way in order to beleive it.

I recently saw some seminars by Dr. Kent Hovind.. Although this guy can be a bit hard to take, he made some very valid points and discoveries with regards to creation. It definately opened my eyes to the "possibilities". I'm still digging further into it for myself. Dr. Kent Hovind

While (unlike Answers in Genesis) this guy seems to have found his spell check, he still fails to escape my typical categorization of Creation Scientists – "hacks, quacks and scammers."

I read two of his articles; in one all he did was disagree with everything Scientific American had to say in an editorial without ONCE providing supporting evidence for ANY of his rebuttals. In the other, he seamlessly goes from claiming in one paragraph that Carbon-14 is created in the atmosphere and then decays at constant rates and that based on this, the world *has* to be less than 30,000 years old to saying that Radiocarbon dates can't be trusted because there's no proof that Carbon-14 is generated OR decays at a constant rate.

I'm sure this cat is a great talker (Evangelists usually are), but his facts are about as straight as Vermont Route 110 and his arguments are airtight as a colander.

Of course, herein lies the problem; this guy and his opinions are easily accessible conform to what most Christians want to hear; the case and evidence for Evolution, however, is in technical language and fly directly in the face of Judeo-Christian dogma (I don't think Evolution and Christianity necessarily have to be incompatible). Few have the patience of tenacity to wade into it (and that includes most of those who populate our educational institutions).

[QUOTE=ericthecableguy]Exactly what I meant. How do you figure he could have condoned it when he orders people not to kill eachother?

The Bible says not to commit murder- that doesn't mean "never ever kill anybody for any reason."
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
09/27/2006 12:30 am
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov
The Bible says not to commit murder- that doesn't mean "never ever kill anybody for any reason."

Touché. I don't believe for one second though, that God condoned that kind of killing.

METOOB
# 14
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/27/2006 3:25 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyTouché. I don't believe for one second though, that God condoned that kind of killing.

What kind of killing? Because there's a lot of Old Testament stuff in which God specifically commands Israelites to kill certain people under certain circumstances.

I.E., if you have a rebellious son, stone him to death. If that doesn't seem like overreacting to you, then I don't know what does.

Oh, and about those Bible passages I listed, I know they're outdated, and that's exactly my point. I can understand a lot of the Bible laws from the Old Testament, like the ones about what you can and can't eat, and how to deal with handling dead things and whatnot. I see it purely as a matter of health. This was a very disease-ridden time. I also think that's how the "don't sleep with people you're not married to" stuff came about. It was just a matter of keeping disease fairly neutralized. Nowadays, medicine is advanced, so it's not as big of a deal as it was then. In my opinion, anyway. I'm sure someone will disagree with me.
# 15
Krunek
Krunek
09/27/2006 6:40 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckWhat kind of killing? Because there's a lot of Old Testament stuff in which God specifically commands Israelites to kill certain people under certain circumstances.

I.E., if you have a rebellious son, stone him to death. If that doesn't seem like overreacting to you, then I don't know what does.

Oh, and about those Bible passages I listed, I know they're outdated, and that's exactly my point. I can understand a lot of the Bible laws from the Old Testament, like the ones about what you can and can't eat, and how to deal with handling dead things and whatnot. I see it purely as a matter of health. This was a very disease-ridden time. I also think that's how the "don't sleep with people you're not married to" stuff came about. It was just a matter of keeping disease fairly neutralized. Nowadays, medicine is advanced, so it's not as big of a deal as it was then. In my opinion, anyway. I'm sure someone will disagree with me.

Well, try sleeping with someone else"s wife in Saudi Arabia or somewhere there... They still stone people there. And cut hands... And other organs...
Huh, it gives me the shiwers. Uh, bad. As for bible... hm, as far as I have undestood it, it doesn"t say don"t sleep with someone you are not married to.
It says; don"t sleep with someone who is married to someone else. Or am I wrong? Think not. I think it says that. Correct me if I am wrong here. :)
# 16
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/27/2006 11:23 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaOk guys I'm gonna lay it out for you.

I do not believe in any God that man has created. I think the God's and religion man has created came out of necessity for order. That's fine and it still applies today and quite frankly we could use more people who live thier life by the Bible. I respect people who live by the teachings of the Bible. The hardline people who take the Bible as pure truth however I just don't get. I hear alot of you posting about if there is no God what is the meaning of life? Well it's simple and if you have kids someday you will know the purpose of life. Continuation of the species. Now, being a species of moderate intelligence we should as a civilization be able to mold our path. Right now we are in turmoil. Everybody wants something different. I personally would enjoy a world government geared toward feeding everyone and making sure everyone is helping towards a common goal. I think that common goal should be space travel to other planets. If we stay here and destroy ourselves then there was no point our civilization. It kinda takes the wind out of the sails of religious text when not one mentions traveling to space. Does God expect us just to stay here? I would think not. Our destiny is our own. Collectively as a people if we don't work together in common goals as human beings we are all doomed. Whether it be trying to all work together to eradicate hunger or Aids or whatever else. Money is always a problem it seems. What no one seems to understand is that money is an illusion. If it were not for money and religion I think the sky would be the limit for our race. We are too greedy in that we only care about what is best for our country, our town, our family. We don't care what is best for the human race as a whole. This my friends will be our downfall. The rich don't want a change. The poor really don't have a say in anything.The middle class well we're just living and that seems to be ok with everyone. I'm embarrassed for the people of Earth. We go around all self important when we don't realize one way or another nothing we do will matter. The only things that will matter is either when we get to the point where we nuke ourselves back to the stoneage or a leader arises that can talk some sense into the power hungry idiots who keep us working to half our potential. That will be the turning point in our evolution. Until then we can all sit around and talk about how pointless life seems.

I was hoping more people would read and comment on this rant of mine. I already know Tristan and I are on the same wavelength. :cool: Seems you guys were too busy goin' on about Satanism to notice my post so I thought I'd try again. Don't be mad. I'm just trying to leave the world in better shape than when I found it.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 17
ren
ren
09/27/2006 11:44 am
Hey Marcos... I think you talk a lot of sense... :cool:

The ego of the individual does have much to answer for - why is nothing being done about our reliance on fossil fuel? Because powerful people make much money from it, and are not interested in change - just one example of a very fair point... those with power/money don't want any change to the status quo (no, not the band!) as it isn't in their own interests.

It's sad that few people think like you. And as for the bible being 'Pure Truth'.... it's no more or less 'true' than The Da Vinci Code... (Stands back) Who wrote it? How do we know they are right? It may have meant more in the context of the day, but means far less now to most as far as I know. No one ever tries to prove it, saying that faith requires no proof. OK, don't expect anyone else to pay it any heed without proof.

To prove the point about religion in context, do you guys know that 'Jedi' is a recognised religion in the UK? At the last census, an email campaign started asking for people of no fixed religion to say they were Jedi. To be listed as a recognised religion in the UK, a percentage of the population need to be members. Jedi made it.

All we need to do is build some temples and work on the light sabres...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 18
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/27/2006 12:17 pm
Originally Posted by: magicninjaI was hoping more people would read and comment on this rant of mine. I already know Tristan and I are on the same wavelength. :cool: Seems you guys were too busy goin' on about Satanism to notice my post so I thought I'd try again. Don't be mad. I'm just trying to leave the world in better shape than when I found it.

Just read your rant and it is exactly the way I see things too. THe meaning of life changes when you have kids... propogation of the species and protection of your own family is what it's all about. As far as goals for mankind go, space exploration and terra forming of other planets should be right up there but of course, mankind will end up waiting until it's too late to do anything of any benefit. It's more than 35 years now since man walked on the moon and seems to be a case of "been there done that"...

As far as creation science goes... how come we can see the light from stars? If the earth is only 30,000 years old then the sky would be mostly black. It has taken billions of light years for the light of earth's visible stars to arrive at our part of 'this' galaxy. Billions of light years = billions of years.
One thing worth bearing in mind in the evolution vs creation argument is the fact that science takes nothing for granted that is not already proven prior to construciton of a theory. There are abstract theories out there re black holes etc, these cannot be proven in the real work however they draw on solid scientific theories and principals. Creationists assume that the bible is the truth and then create arguments and 'theories' to prove these assumptions. Straight away that is a flawed way of thinking.

Not meant to offend anyone, I just have an interest in the evolution debate. I can't for the life of me understand how creationism has now been brought into school teaching in some of the US states! :eek:
# 19
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/27/2006 9:55 pm
The "6000 year old earth" idea is simply mans compilation of geneaologies in the bible.Its shaky and obviously does not hold up to the evidence that surrounds us(carbon dating,dinosuar bones and our extremely strange universe in which our planet is like a plankton in the atlantic).

I honestly believe the bible,but its interpretation/translation by fundamentalist scholars is so innapropriate that anyone with a 5th grade reading level can tear it apart.You only have to look at the baptists(and many other "christian" churches)take on the story of "the rich man and lazarus" to see how numb some people are.

The bible is the most solid piece of literature that ive read.It is the most ridiculous piece of literature that ive heard.

There is always talk of "God in the old testament was an ass e.c.t" and understandably,it seems very chaotic/ungodly...this is something ive yet to delve into deeply.Ive always focused on the most heineous of teaching...eternal punishment.Truly the most sadistic belief out there.It topples the holocaust,911 or any tradgety that man has endured if it is to be true(which it most certainly is not....biblically anyway).

So many "level headed" people believe in hell...i'm sure most have never even been burned or thought about such lengthy torture before.I'm positive that they would bring it into question if they could experience their belief for a couple minutes.
Try once,fail twice...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.