View post (touchy topic....just wondering)

View thread

earthman buck
earthman buck
09/27/2006 3:25 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyTouché. I don't believe for one second though, that God condoned that kind of killing.

What kind of killing? Because there's a lot of Old Testament stuff in which God specifically commands Israelites to kill certain people under certain circumstances.

I.E., if you have a rebellious son, stone him to death. If that doesn't seem like overreacting to you, then I don't know what does.

Oh, and about those Bible passages I listed, I know they're outdated, and that's exactly my point. I can understand a lot of the Bible laws from the Old Testament, like the ones about what you can and can't eat, and how to deal with handling dead things and whatnot. I see it purely as a matter of health. This was a very disease-ridden time. I also think that's how the "don't sleep with people you're not married to" stuff came about. It was just a matter of keeping disease fairly neutralized. Nowadays, medicine is advanced, so it's not as big of a deal as it was then. In my opinion, anyway. I'm sure someone will disagree with me.