I remember when

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
04/14/2012 2:17 am
Hey Slippn, just trying to be civil. ;)

Nigel,
You're not the only one to mention the past. There was a guy on here a few months ago mentioning how back in the day it was a much different environment. People contributed and it was much more of a community feel.

I will admit that I would have liked to have been here when it was more of a community ran site. HOWEVER, I know that I'd be nowhere as far along in my ability if it was. So for that I'm grateful that it's a structured pay site.

It would be nice if this place still felt like a guitar community of friends and not just a bunch of people here to lean how to play guitar.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
04/14/2012 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerHey Slippn, just trying to be civil. ;)

That's fine... but when you're saying you see his point, I'm wondering, just what point is it that you agree with? To me, this is clearly just a negative individual that hasn't posted anything in this forum that deserves a decent consideration. He's just complaining about this site. I think the people that run this site & the instructors here work very hard. I don't believe any of them are getting rich of this site. There's obviously a lot of care and attention to detail that goes into it. When this guy comes on complaining about the site... I mean, come on... he says he's been playing guitar for 20 years and never paid for a lesson? How long has this site been running as a pay site, and now, regardless of all the other free lessons available on other sites and YouTube, suddenly this site is in the way of him being able to learn guitar? Come on... this is just silly. The OP attitude is insulting at best, and when you say you agree with him, I feel like you're giving that insulting attitude validity, which, in fact, is exactly what you're doing. This guy is just a ball of negativity, and we don't need to afford him courtesy or civility that he is not willing to display himself. Respect should be earned, not given. ;)
# 2
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/14/2012 12:38 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin Lizardhe says he's been playing guitar for 20 years and never paid for a lesson? [/QUOTE]

Once again, You just dismiss my statement, " o that can't be true. How can u play guitar for 20 years and never pay for a lesson or take a lesson." Sorry too disappoint but I have been playing guitar for 20 years and I have never Taking or Paid for a lesson. The only lessons I took where on the sax in grade school like 25+ years ago.

Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardHow long has this site been running as a pay site, and now, regardless of all the other free lessons available on other sites and YouTube, suddenly this site is in the way of him being able to learn guitar? [/QUOTE]

I would like too know how long it has been a pay site myself and I came back too this site, After getting the internet again, because It use too be a free place too get GOOD INFORMATION. It was full of loads of guitar licks and riffs and chord progression and you name it and It was here for free. And I only became hostile after I felt like every one just took it like a joke that I couldn't afford 15 dollars and i felt insulted.

I thought it was a shame, that what was free is now about money. My original post was just that i thought it was a shame that this site use too be about Contributing your own knowledge and passing it on too help other people grow and i basically got shat on. What does that got too say about the people of this current community. There where a few people who came with some decent responses. It has only spiraled down hill because i refuse too let some internet bullies push me around and diss me and my situation. I'm going too stand up for what I believe in.

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard] The OP attitude is insulting at best,

Your attitude is any better? You believe you are sitting on a higher plateau but your not. You have insulted me, You insulted the 100's of guitar players who contributed too the original Guitartricks, You insulted every guitar player out there who has played the guitar for years with out taking a lesson. You insulted every person who struggles from day too day and can't afford 15 dollars for "whatever." I think you should have a look at yourself before you keep waving around that judgement stick.

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]Respect should be earned, not given. ;)

Respect is something that is earned through your peers and loved ones. I don't expect Respect on a Message board from someone who doesn't not even know the meaning of respect nor the concept. You have been more disrespectful than I have on a much wider scale than is even comprehensible too yourself.

Check your self Sir.

Hey Rick, You don't have too suck up too ever internet Jock out there.
Be yourself. Stand up for what you believe in and always stay true too who you are.
If this place is a good place for you too learn, I'm glad you found a good spot for yourself. I said it in one of my other post. I'm sure it is a great spot. I just dont think it is better than the old guitar tricks for the simple fact that ya gotta pay! : ) I think everyone is a lil butt hurt that I'm the one with the spine getting tore up by everyone but im still here taking the abuse. : )
# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/15/2012 1:42 am
Originally Posted by: nigelcoughlinHave you ever tried too budget your money below the poverty level?

Thanks and Thanks Again.

I think a strong case can be made that the lower the income, the more important budgeting becomes. Without budgeting (at any level) it's often difficult to 'afford' the necessities/pay the bills, let alone buy some of the niceties. It's hard to get ahead when you don't know where the money is going. Beyond that, budgeting leads to savings, savings lead to investment and investment leads to grand things down the road. But at it's basic level a budget can show where some spending can be reduced so that the money can go to something else. Bottom line, it tells you how much you can spend...and then *you* can make the decision on what.

And yes, when I started out I spent some years at poverty level. But I always had a budget and savings going to the bank every month.

To get a little more on topic; the GT subscripton seems to be pretty good value for the money and worth the price. Still, that's my judgement and decision.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
Neiles335
Neiles335
04/15/2012 4:40 am
For those looking for more free lessons.. I highly recommend www.ActiveMelody.com. Im having a blast with this non profit site..
Brian Sherrill gives excellent instruction easy to intermediate and good community as well. You pay only 5 bucks one time if you want to download tabs or btracks hes written himself. Maybe this will help those on a tight budget have agreat time learning...what its all about!
# 5
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
04/15/2012 5:55 am
Originally Posted by: nigelcoughlin... I can't afford too pay 15 dollars or 5 dollars. I have just enough money for my internet connection. With just enough money left over for food...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Neiles335]For those looking for more free lessons.. You pay only 5 bucks one time...

:rolleyes:
# 6
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/15/2012 12:59 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin Lizard:rolleyes:

You should check what you quote and who you are quoting before you post Because I didn't post that message : )

Once again, I'm getting eyes rolled at me and this time I had nothing too do with the conversation!

I hate too be made a fool out of. Thanks and Thanks again : )

And sorry John. I'm glad you where once at the poverty line and can sorta see where im coming from but Im not at the poverty line I'm below it and Sure, I could cut back on some steak and eat hamburger. I could not live in a nice a neighborhood and go live in the slums like most people do who are on my income but I choose too live in a decent neighborhood and live from cheque too cheque so i don't have too live in the gutter. That is my choice. But for you guys too think i should cut back on what I eat or change where i live so i can afford something frivolous like guitar lesson, whether it be online or in a guitar store is ridiculous. Thats my opinion. I can play my guitar. I dont have too too take any lessons. This was like a place too come and learn something new, which is always nice. Who wants too play the same thing over and over? I feel like You guys are looking for a scape goat for why I should be able too afford it. Like, "he can cut back on something too afford it." The bottom line is, On my budget, I can not afford it. I'm not changing my budget too afford it. It's not like I dont know how too play my guitar. It's not like im dying too learn how too play the guitar. It's not like i won't be able too pick up my guitar tomorrow and rip off some licks. * if i dont break a string today (knock on wood) * I was just disappointed that It was a pay site rather than a contributing community as it was before. Some people took my comments rather harsh. Like I took their responses rather harsh. My original statement meant no disrespect too the hard work the people put in to the current site. I can't not say the same for my other comments. I was insulted. You get rude comments once u get insulted.
# 7
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
04/15/2012 3:32 pm
Originally Posted by: nigelcoughlinYou should check what you quote and who you are quoting before you post Because I didn't post that message[/QUOTE]

I fixed it for you... it was more the "I can't afford it" and the response of "free lessons" that then cost $5...

Originally Posted by: nigelcoughlinI hate too be made a fool out of..[/QUOTE]

Then stop posting...

[QUOTE=nigelcoughlin] Sure, I could cut back on some steak and eat hamburger. I could not live in a nice a neighborhood and go live in the slums like most people do who are on my income but I choose too live in a decent neighborhood and live from cheque too cheque so i don't have too live in the gutter...

You've got to be kidding... you're actually suggesting that you'd have to go live in the "slums" so you could afford a GT membership? I've lived below the poverty line too fella... and John hit it right on the head. That's not the time to be worried about getting guitar lessons on-line. If you literally can't spare $15 per month then you really need to be focusing on other issues... and look at your verbiage.. "decent neighborhood" and "slums"... who thinks they are on the "higher plateau" now??

[QUOTE=nigelcoughlin]Some people took my comments rather harsh. Like I took their responses rather harsh. My original statement meant no disrespect too the hard work the people put in to the current site. I can't not say the same for my other comments. I was insulted. You get rude comments once u get insulted.

You did disrespect the hard work the people had put into this site. You said that what they had done was "a shame"... You then went on to insinuate that there was some sort of scam going on by saying the content that is here was provided for free by people like you (which I highly doubt is true). Then you stooped to swearing & name calling...

If you had just come in here with some respect, and asked some questions in a respectful way, then you would not have received the responses you did. I still don't believe that you can't find $15 dollars in your budget some where... but if you can't, you can't... so move on. Otherwise, what point is there in posting here? To make everyone feel badly about the site? To try and drive people away? Would you tell me from your posts here one *positive* thing you have to offer? Nothing? Didn't think so...
# 8
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/15/2012 6:34 pm
Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardYou've got to be kidding... you're actually suggesting that you'd have to go live in the "slums" so you could afford a GT membership?[/QUOTE]

No, What I said was. " I could not live in a nice a neighborhood and go live in the slums and live from cheque too cheque so i don't have too live in the gutter."
This had nothing too do with GT member ship. This had too do with myself living from cheque too cheque. Not Joining GT.

Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardI've lived below the poverty line too fella... and John hit it right on the head. That's not the time to be worried about getting guitar lessons on-line.[/QUOTE]

I'm not worried about getting guitar lessons online.
LoL. I think i made that clear in the last post and I highly doubt u have lived anywhere below the poverty line or near it or u would defiantly have some understanding of my situation.

Originally Posted by: Slipin Lizardand look at your verbiage..[/QUOTE]

and now it is my english which comes under fire.

Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardYou did disrespect the hard work the people had put into this site. [/QUOTE]

If what I said in my original post was taking as an insult, Im willing too apologize for that. After what has been said too me in response. I don't apologize for. Harsh words only get met with in kind.

Originally Posted by: Slipin LizardYou said that what they had done was "a shame"...[/QUOTE]

no, what i said was " I remember when this site was free and all of its access was free : ( such a shame. "

there is a big difference in saying " what they had done was "a shame"

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]You then went on to insinuate that there was some sort of scam going on by saying the content that is here was provided for free by people like you (which I highly doubt is true).

I never said there was a scam going on.. LoL.. The Original Content too the guitar tricks site was all provided by people who donated too the site. How much has changed, I do not know. Is some of the content present? I can't say and quite frankly, Unless you are a moderator of this site, Neither can you. There very well could be parts of this site that are from the original Site. I DO NOT KNOW.

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]Then you stooped to swearing & name calling...

yup, sometimes assholes need too be told there assholes, and often times, assholes stand up for assholes. case n point. you stood right up for him.

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]If you had just come in here with some respect, and asked some questions in a respectful way, then you would not have received the responses you did.

My original post was not meant too be disrespectful. It was just a statement that was taking the wrong way.

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]I still don't believe that you can't find $15 dollars in your budget some where... but if you can't, you can't... so move on.

It doesn't really matter if you believe me or not and in all honestly i dont know i waste my time. You are obviously a completely closed minded individual.

[QUOTE=Slipin Lizard]Would you tell me from your posts here one *positive* thing you have to offer? Nothing? Didn't think so...

Your right but at least I have the decency too admit it.
Have a nice day. : )

And tell me, One positive thing you had too say in your post? You have defiantly giving me no reason too want too sign up too GT. I will defiantly not be changing my budget too sign up too guitar tricks. The only person who had anything decent too say, Got shot down for being remotely kind at all. A poor spokes person you are.
don't worry you don't have too respond.
I know, you didn't have a reason too be kind, I didn't deserve a kind response. I deserved too be talked down too. I needed it. You showed me.
: )
# 9
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/15/2012 7:09 pm
Well this thread sure took off quick. Couple things to say (I use the term "vs" very loosely. Not necessarily a fight between both sides):

1) Slipin vs Rick: It just comes down to the whole "customer service" side of things. If someone comes to the forums, even with a clearly negative outlook on things, you still go into customer service mode and treat them with respect. Even if someone were to personally attack me on the forums, I would reply back with a polite response or not reply back at all. Not worth it to go down to their level and continue the unnecessary negativity.

2) nigelcoughlin vs the current website: Not really sure what the point of your argument is anymore. Seems like you made the thread just to complain. It's fine to express your opinions. I for one completely understand that not everyone can afford to spend even $5 extra a month. If you are tight on money, that's just life and I can understand that. Wouldn't even question you on it. I do NOT however, understand your attitude of expecting it to be free. Do you go and complain to every other business when they have something you can't afford? Go write a letter to every movie theater for their ticket/food prices. Call up your internet provider and tell them that you can't afford internet, so you demand it to be free for you since you are on disability and can't afford it. Look around you right now and look at all the things that are by you. For everything that isn't a necessity to live, write that company a letter and complain that you can't afford it.

You can't even begin to mentally grasp the amount of free knowledge there is on the internet related to guitar. It's not like this site has brand new secret information that doesn't exist on the internet anywhere else. Google is your friend. Enjoy the millions of free online guitar lessons/tips out there. This site has a lot of great features, real instructors and lessons. They price their services at a relatively affordable rate for the amount of stuff you get. If you can't afford it, don't pay it. Simple as that. I don't see the need for arguing whatever it is that you are arguing about.

3) nigelcoughlin on the "original site"
The original site, Guitartricks.com was by people wanting too share free lessons on different guitar tricks and guitar riffs. I know, I contributed. I posted Guitar riffs and licks.

Ok.......so? Is there a ban on this type of sharing of guitar tricks and riffs that I am not aware of? What's stopping you from sharing this still? What's stopping you from making a thread asking people for ideas? Instead of making THIS thread, you could have made a thread asking for help on something or sharing something. The forums are what you make of them. Nobody is stopping you from sharing or asking for information.

4) nigelcoughlin vs respect vs being polite:
Respect is something that is earned through your peers and loved ones. I don't expect Respect on a Message board from someone who doesn't not even know the meaning of respect nor the concept.

Note that respecting someone and being polite to someone are completely different things. You don't have to respect someone to be polite. You chose to name-call and be generally impolite in some of your posts. That was YOUR choice and the decision is completely irrelevant to who started what, or what was said previously.

There isn't a single thing you can say to me that will make me start calling you names. That's MY choice. I show respect to everyone and choose to be polite even if I do not get it in return. Who I actually respect is a whole different thing. Don't blame others and start justifying your choice in attitude based on someone elses attitude. Like I said, it's all your choice.

5) nigelcoughlin vs grammar: Here is a 100% free lesson.

"To" and "Too"
-To is a versatile preposition. A few of its many definitions are (1) toward, (2) reaching as far as, and (3) until.
-Too is an adverb meaning (1) additionally, (2) excessively, (3) very, or (4) extremely.

6)
Like Rick mentioned, you aren't the only one that has brought this up. I think the thread he was talking about was this one:
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35421
Give it a read
# 10
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/15/2012 7:57 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Seems like you made the thread just to complain.[/QUOTE]
I did not intended it that way. I was just surprised that it had become a pay site. I never expected the thread too take off either.

but I guess i can see how it can be see as a complaint. I wouldn't disagree with you.

Originally Posted by: hunter1801I do NOT however, understand your attitude of expecting it to be free.[/QUOTE]

I don't really expect it too be free anymore, as it isn't a free site ANYMORE. The only real qualm I had or have is that the site Guitartricks.com WAS a free site. I came too it, expecting it too be free because it WAS free. I dont see what is so hard for people too grasp about this.

Originally Posted by: hunter1801 so you demand it to be free for you since you are on disability and can't afford it. [/QUOTE]

The only reason I brought up the fact I was on disability Is because someone scoffed at me not being able too afford the 15 dollars. like everyone should be able too afford 15 dollars. That is not the case. Not everyone is so lucky.
And i never demanded anything. Everyone is just putting words in my mouth.

Originally Posted by: hunter1801You can't even begin to mentally grasp the amount of free knowledge there is on the internet related to guitar.[/QUOTE]

....really....What do you take me for? do you think i dont know how too use the search engine. Since I posted the first post I have found numerous sites that provide tones of information related to the learning guitar. Everything after the first post has nothing too do what that and everything to do with defending myself, more or less. I came too this site because I knew this site from the past.

[QUOTE=hunter1801]I don't see the need for arguing whatever it is that you are arguing about.

I have been defending myself for the majority of the time.

[QUOTE=hunter1801]Nobody is stopping you from sharing or asking for
information.

There cost are Stopping me from sharing. Why do i want too post and share my knowledge and get nothing from there site in return? That is silly. In my opinion.

[QUOTE=hunter1801]That was YOUR choice and the decision is completely irrelevant to who started what, or what was said previously.

You are right. but I do not apologize.

[QUOTE=hunter1801]There isn't a single thing you can say to me that will make me start calling you names.

You a good individual. I applaud you for it.

Have a nice day : )
# 11
hunter1801
hunter1801
04/15/2012 8:32 pm
Originally Posted by: nigelcoughlin
There cost are Stopping me from sharing.
[/QUOTE]

It doesn't cost you anything to post on the forums or share anything......

[QUOTE=nigelcoughlin]
Why do i want too post and share my knowledge and get nothing from there site in return? That is silly. In my opinion.

That is selfish. In my opinion.

I'm not full access and I have never paid for anything from this site. That hasn't stopped me from coming to these forums and contributing/sharing for 7 years now. I have learned a TON from just these forums. If I have a question I ask. If I see a question I can answer, I answer. Your mentality of not wanting to share because you get "nothing in return" is just plain selfishness on your part. What do you expect to get in return? Money? I don't think so. You get knowledge in return. Isn't that what you want?
# 12
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/15/2012 9:29 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801That is selfish. In my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Ya it is selfish. what did that guy say earlier, Their ain't no such thing as a free lunch. It works both ways? No?

but I do see your point, I guess the forums are full of people who don't have the money too pay and are all looking for help but I know no theory at all.
There is nothing i can share other then the way the old site worked, They had a way of posting tab. I could post some tab along with an audio clip of some licks and that is the only way i could benefit anyone. I was a rookie guitar player, then and really still am. I could not benefit anyone but the newest guitar player wanting too learn a few blues scales.
I can't answer any ones questions on anything because I understand nothing in the way of musical knowledge. I never took a lesson and i understand nothing but tab and that is a bare minimum. I never said I was some blazing guitar player who plays Stevie Ray or jimi hendrix.

[QUOTE=hunter1801]If I have a question I ask. If I see a question I can answer, I answer. Your mentality of not wanting to share because you get "nothing in return" is just plain selfishness on your part.

You are a great person. The best kind. The kind that gives away his knowledge for free on a site that charges people too use the site. And doesn't expect or obviously want anything in return. you really do seem too be a nice person. But too me that is just ridiculous. If you feel you get enough from posting on the forums and are kind enough and knowledgeable enough too answer questions on the forums and feel this is retribution enough. I can understand that but I am not knowledgeable enough too post on the forums too either help anyone or too help myself learn about the guitar. I'm guitar illiterate. I do not know what any chord is called. I do not enough know what the notes on my guitar are. I don't know any scale names. I just play my guitar.

Thanks for taking the time too talk civil and i apologize if i have offended you in any manner. It was not intended.

have a nice day : )
# 13
Jerry Dylan
Jerry Dylan
04/16/2012 12:17 am
Since you are a user you can use most of the forum and if you have any questions we can all try to help you and you can try to help other people too. You can still get lots of good use out of this site. I sympathize with your situation but just because you can't afford the full membership doesn't mean you can't still get benefit from the site. Thanks for posting and I wish you the best.
# 14
nigelcoughlin
nigelcoughlin
04/16/2012 1:09 am
Thanks Jerry.

If I have any questions I know where too post

: )
# 15
G1619T
Full Access
G1619T
Full Access
04/19/2012 8:15 pm
I could go backstage and meet the band or talk to them at the side of the stage. The Stones, Kinks, The Who; many of these groups played smaller venues during the mid 60's than today. When the groups welcomed new comers to their music. When you had a choice of "Black Diamond" Round Wound or Flat Wound Strings to mix and match. When a Les Paul cost me $275,a Strat $225 or an SG $200 (around 1970-72). When tube amps were the norm and an expensive one was around $175. I know I'm showing my age. I was given a 1959 Les Paul (in 1968) for helping out a neighbor or a 1964 Gretch White Falcon for baby sitting the Majors twins across the hall with out pay for a year (not all at the same time!!!) in our apartment (in Germany, I was an Army Brat). People were giving, and cost/collectors value never entered their minds. Musicians were always sharing their secrets or something new they learned. I remember.......well you get the picture. No reason to bitch about the cost of these lessons. They are a best buy. I'm re-learning everything I've forgotten.
G1619T
# 16
Sgt Tee
Sgt Tee
04/21/2012 10:14 pm
It was the 60's man and love was in the air, peace
For What It's Worth
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.