Beautiful girls don't play the guitar

lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/16/2002 12:55 pm
I know... We talked about the 9.11, and he told me that at the same time, a genocide was taking place in some african country (can't remember the name though) where more than 100000 people were going to die or had already died, and nobody cared.

He didn't say that the terrorist attack wasn't a shame, but he said wa had lost some kind of standards.
When people who are powerful die, it's a world sensation. When a entire country is under siege and HUNDRED OF THOUSANDS are killed by an army than has been bought by some rich fool (as it was in Afghanistan before everyone turned to it then bombed it, well, there's at least five countries that live the same situation right now) nobody gives a flying ****...
When he told me he went to Benin, I was scared of the civil war, and he told me "don't worry, there's nothing there, no petrol, no gold, no mines, so there won't be any war". It means that people die only because of money... We won't make the world a better place by writing on this board, but dudes, think that your most important stuff right now are just superficial (the brand of your new guitar, what you would do if you won 10 millions, became famous...) There are people in this world who starve, who are tortured, who cannot say what they have on their mind.

We won't change the world, but be aware of it.
# 1
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/16/2002 3:19 pm
The thing with Bush is he's very domesticly oriented, and when I say that, he's representing domestic big business. Outside of more jobs, his policy really doesn't make much sense. I think November 11th gave him his second term, I just hope he takes some common sense approaches here in the future.

What I really want to see is a domestic policy that encourages jobs (lower business taxes possibly), but also keeps a progressive tax base and a sensible budget. So many things, such as environmental reform really make sense if you have the vision to really boil them down to what they mean: lower emissions means higher efficency, higher efficency is good for business. A cleaner world is more hospitable and better for tourism...

One could go on and on forever just on the domestic implications.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Joseph
Joseph
02/16/2002 3:38 pm
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
The thing with Bush is he's very domesticly oriented, and when I say that...

:eek:
[eidt, sorry!!, you can put a link but not a picture... I gotta look after this place haven't i! :) ]
However, ewith the old cliche that beautiful woman don't play guitar, that bull**** if you ask me. Because beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder. It's not all about perfect cheek bones, or breasts, it's all about the little things which make a woman attractive. And as we get older guys, it's not that we start to set our standards lower, but we become much more smart!

-Joseph

[Edited by educatedfilm on 02-16-2002 at 11:56 AM]
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/16/2002 3:40 pm
I hate the way they cropped that picture.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
Joseph
Joseph
02/16/2002 4:14 pm
But that doesn't mean we can't let ourselves be heard, :D
-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 5
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/16/2002 5:49 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
When people who are powerful die, it's a world sensation. When a entire country is under siege and HUNDRED OF THOUSANDS are killed by an army . . .

That's the way the world is, and that's the way it's always gunna be. Take it or leave it.

# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/16/2002 6:05 pm
Saying that means you actually think it's normal... Tough break...
# 7
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/16/2002 6:06 pm
hmmm... I'm not sure about that... It's not right to simply accept that the rich will walk over the poor... You gotta do something, even if it isn't that major (i mean the rise in the sales of "fair trade" good is a good indicator that you dont have to accept the crummy system)... hmmm, but it's all about concience... and a media that's sooo biased it's embrassing... murder is murder, and something should be done, instead of sweeping one under the carpet and using the other for political/ finacail gains... that's the whole afganistan issue for you...
I mean if poeple could get some fair reporting then I'd think we'de be closer to peace... we would hold those responsible on BOTH sides, not all about how evil this bearded-man-in-a-"cave" (not actaully a cave, but a complex originally payed for by the US tax payer) is responsible for everything... The US has a list of terrorist acts (judged by the FBI definition of terrorism) as long as my arm, but the poeple in the media dont wanna talk about it... WHY?? (oooh, I have a feeling this may end up going in the direction of "america under attack" thread)

[Edited by educatedfilm on 02-16-2002 at 12:10 PM]
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/16/2002 6:12 pm
Most people don't want to rule the world. They just want to be left alone, to get on with their lives as best they can. Sadly, this makes them vulnerable to the assholes who do want to rule the world.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/16/2002 6:22 pm
Originally posted by educatedfilm
... (oooh, I have a feeling this may end up going in the direction of "america under attack" thread)...
This thread hasn't been about beautiful girls playing, (or not playing), guitar since the top of page 9, anyway.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/16/2002 6:32 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
Saying that means you actually think it's normal...

It is normal.

(oooh, I have a feeling this may end up going in the direction of "america under attack" thread)

I think this settles it all -

http://people.freenet.de/mistoo/0080.jpg

# 11
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/16/2002 6:33 pm
suppouse your right...:)
i totaly agree... but the thing is the peaceful poeple are POWERFUL, they can VOTE, if they dont like what's going on they can do something about it... this is why I really fear for american democracy... THe hole point is that you have a right to have a thought/ say and the free will to chose who you want to govern...
but when your told only one side of the facts, then your choice will not have been your own. Now you take this a step further, and when it comes to war. It scares the living crap out of me, to see someone declare war and see everyone step in line (with out thinking).. simply puttin gout the justification (the reason i say this is because I've actaully found that the taliban have a better track record than the northern alliance!!! and that argument against the taliban is very weak, mostly a vidoe clip of a guy hitting an afgan woman, I mean really? how stupid do they think i am? does anyone remember Rodney King?)... Bin Laden was ruled out by all the military/ intelligence experts, and they all pretty much said, that someone in the US is responsible.. but then the whitehouse said it was bin laden, and all these poeple shut up (and stepped in line with out asking any questions )... The same will happen with Iraq, they're gonna bomb the crap out of Iraq for no real gain (i mean other than the slum in their oil prices and to re-instate their authority over the iraqi's)... THey wanna bomb sudan, why?? for the love of god, 11 of those alledged hi jackers are sudi! Any action against sudi? NO! this is scary stuff, to see for the first time that governemnt has put finacial intrests over the true quest for justice..
Sorry about my rant, I just get sooo upset when I listen to intelligent poeple telling me that situation is acceptable...
THank god that not all the news we hear comes from these poeple ,that's why I love the net really they give you all of the news, Like kandahar air port was under heavy fire the night before last (as i predicted, the taliban are still around, this "victory" was in the press but not in real life :)... it's history repeating, the mujahdeen did the same against the russains, they withdrew from the cities hid in the mountains (cos there is no way they could get a fair fight in the cities, cos they're so open to heavy fire), and used guerilla war fair, very effectivley, against the russians...
this means now mean they cant biuld thier pipeline that they want, and there's noway they're gonna put infantry vs infantry...
I have no quarell with the idea that the US should fine the poeple responsible and give them a fair trail, and if convicted then excute them... but i do have shtick with the idea that "i believe he's giulty" suddenly is the gospel truth.. just like "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" (which reminds me that factory that was bombed in sudan was proved to have been innocent by amnisty international, but how many of you heard this on Fox news or CNN?)
sorry about this long rant...

[Edited by educatedfilm on 02-16-2002 at 12:42 PM]
# 12
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/16/2002 6:36 pm
thanks for putting a link (and not a picture up) christoph :)...
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/16/2002 6:59 pm
Originally posted by Christoph
I think this settles it all -
Elvis Presley is remembered for showing us how to hold a guitar. I don't think she's a player (at least in the musical sense :D ).
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/16/2002 7:21 pm
(the reason i say this is because I've actaully found that the taliban have a better track record than the northern alliance!!! and that argument against the taliban is very weak, mostly a vidoe clip of a guy hitting an afgan woman, I mean really? how stupid do they think i am? does anyone remember Rodney King?)

Well, the thing is that media spin works both ways. In this specific instance the footage we all see on TV doesn't show King lunging at the police before the beating started. They just showed the portion of the tape where the police went too far.

Today in the States you'll find people who complain that we're not hearing enough about how "the war" isn't allways fair to the people of Afghanistan. There are also people who think we hear too much about every goat that's accidently bombed. I've ran into white supremacists who think that The Media is an instrument of Jewish propoganda, I've also met Zionists who beleive that the media is antisemetic.

Who's right?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/16/2002 10:37 pm
you are right rask, but the same goes for that woman that was getting smacked about, we dont know what happened before hand... and infact we dont know why he was hitting her...
The point is, i think there are enough people who dont think might is right, to do something about it... provided they can be made to see what's being done in their name... there is no real reason that we'd get to a stage where wars are a real raritey... but this'll never happen if we get comfy and apathetic in our 9 to 5 jobs, and simply say "oh well, we can't do anything about it"... that way it really never will happen..
anyway, back to the subject... hmm, I've been thinking about this from a different point of view (no jokes please), but there is a lacking input of feminine (sp?) feeling into most of todays music... i mean other than the courtney love stuff, kitty, and one or two others... but one of the coolest and strangest bands i've heaerd was four sisters who'd been pushed into a band by their dad, and it's suppoused to be like 60's pop, but it's this wierd depressing sound style (might be cos the band never got anywhere)... it's very weird, I'll try and find out who they are... I might let y'all know, but looking at the sucess of the life with out biuldings thread I may not bother...
# 16
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/17/2002 12:40 am
thanks for putting a link (and not a picture up) christoph :)...

I thought that would be best . . . (seeing as how you trashed out Joseph's post) I knew it was only a matter of time before he posted another pic of Shannon . . . LOL.

Originally posted by Lordathestrings
I don't think she's a player

Not with those fingernails . . .

# 17
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/18/2002 8:43 am
Lal,
I think we just might.change the world,ie.
And you're right when you say that we've set the wrong standards;remember in '98,when the US embassies in Kenya(where as I've said I'm from)and tanzania were bombed?In Nairobi,they put the 13 Americans who died in Lee funeral home(the best morgue in this country,associated with the rich,those in high places,like govt. leaders....).They put the 200+ locals who died in some ware-house b4 those who weren't burnt beyond recognition could be taken by their relatives t wherever they take their dead,the rest to mass graves....This really hurt,especially considering we weren't the targets,just the grass that suffers when bulls fight(a swahili saying).I doubt if cnn reported this.And in the same period,200+ kenyans were dying every day(our fault tho')through road accidents and stuff like that,coz ther roads are bad,like really bad,corrupt traffic police...No one seemed to notice.
About this thread changing directions
dunno if I mind.That's how conversations go,one thing leads to another.As long as people are talking,i think it's all good.I imagine that's what the open forum is all about,talking.about whateva.

[Edited by kingdavid on 02-18-2002 at 02:54 AM]
# 18
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/18/2002 4:13 pm
Yo
# 19
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/22/2002 7:10 pm
In Canada, this is often a big issue. The fact that most of our people tune into US television instead of 'home-grown' programming is a thorn in the side of cultural nationalists. But hey, that's the outcome of fair competition. Even the CBC, (which is our government-owned 'national broadcast network'), competes with private stations to buy American programs.

I will admit that the enormity of the American presence, (10 times our population), has made us vulnerable to those who would define us as 'not like Americans'. As in "We manage to get through our days without carrying guns around with us, not like Americans. :eek:

As a musician, I notice how much of the music we listen to here comes from the US, but I also notice that we make a lot of good music here, that Americans are largely unaware of.

I'm acutely aware of the cultural differences, as well as the similarities, so I have what I think is a clearer frame of reference, but I recognise that my view is not that of a large number of my fellow Canadians.

So... yes, America might be said to have a major trade imbalance in terms of culture. The prevalent attitude seems to be that anything from beyond the contiguous 48 States is insignificant. That is less so among younger people, and I think we have The Web to thank for this.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.