Beautiful girls don't play the guitar

02/10/2002 6:01 pm
... don't forget legal prostitution (in Holland, not BC)
# 1
nechako
nechako
02/11/2002 12:15 am
Holland here i cum
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/11/2002 7:26 am
Originally posted by James
As if thats a reason to go anywhere!! :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/11/2002 7:30 am
Originally posted by Lordathestrings
As if thats a reason to go anywhere!! :p

It is.
The fact that it exists is evidence that people go there for those very things.
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/11/2002 6:43 pm

All I can say is that if you've gotta pay for sex these days, you must be pretty sad.

People are pratically giving it away.
# 5
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/11/2002 7:33 pm
You're right chris.But those who give it don't wear tags saying thus.So out of not knowing,pple pay those who declare outright,it's fo sale
# 6
nechako
nechako
02/11/2002 8:25 pm
[QUOTE
All I can say is that if you've gotta pay for sex these days, you must be pretty sad. "

Its a sad world sometimes and anyways ya end up paying for it one way or another with the hassels, lies, smell, diseases, child support, boring conversations afterwards, gifts(bribes), b.s.; you can play 2 or 3 guitars in the same room and they never argue.

# 7
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/11/2002 8:44 pm
True,that

# 8
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/11/2002 10:10 pm
Originally posted by kingdavid
You're right chris.But those who give it don't wear tags saying thus.

Oh, I think it's pretty easy to tell the people in the night club that you can get to come home with you after just one drink.

If ya know what I'm sayin' . . .

Originally posted by nechako
Its a sad world sometimes and anyways ya end up paying for it one way or another with the hassels, lies, smell, diseases, child support, boring conversations afterwards, gifts(bribes) . . .

True . . . maybe celibacy is the way to go.

. . . you can play 2 or 3 guitars in the same room and they never argue.

LOL. That's what I've always said. Your guitar doesn't care if you go play another guitar. And you can just put it back in its case when you're done playing.

# 9
florien
florien
02/11/2002 10:50 pm
All those drugs and prostitution tourists, tourists in Amsterdam are so funny, they're all really stoned! We also have a nice countryside, beautiful beaches, but you tourists never see them, even when they go there, they are too stoned to realise they are on a beach.
Do you know by the way that we dutchies smoke less weed then most others, i studied in Enland for 1 year and i was really amazed by how much everyone smoked. I have never been in a coffie-shop. We only probably try it when we are younger, but it's not cool to smoke weed here, so not many continue.
Anyway, if you are planning to come to my beatiful country, Welcome and have fun.
It's true that we have a very free way of thinking, you can do and say a lot here. there was a naked skater with golden skates in Amsterdam some time ago, things like that are accepted here, if you feel like doing things like that, you can.
# 10
florien
florien
02/11/2002 11:01 pm
Prostitution is everywhere, i don't know so much about it, but i think that prostitutes in Holland have a better life than elsewere and there is also more control.
# 11
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/11/2002 11:17 pm
Drugs suck, because they encourage parallel economy, which lead to violence, and corruption.

Prostitution, a french saying says it's the oldest job. I guess society needs those girls/men who sell their body since they sometimes act as shrinks for sad people.

But everything is ****ed up because of money... Anything, when you put money in it, is due to crash itself. Art is due to crash, since money is now ruling it. I can't wait to see major companies going bankrupt because some whizz kid will have found a way to let artists rule their own career through a web site... **** those commercial vampires...
# 12
nechako
nechako
02/12/2002 12:00 am
ifamilaierdyteaaalcille , close enough sorry I agree with you 11111155550000% and more, self ruled artists; and what is the word artist anyway? a commercial label! I like the word creator or creative person or guitar "player" emphasis on "play" here, fun. Any one interested in becoming part of the "plan" to self publish please do so.
# 13
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/12/2002 12:09 am
ifamilaierdyteaaalcille

First time my name is spelled that way...

Anyways, artists do need support, because we are not all commercial guys or experts. We must do the job we can do.

Since last september, my demo on my site has been downloaded more than 600 times... It wouldn't be much more if I had to sell them... But I know I have created a buzz, and I hope someway, someone will turn the economy around to give power back to where it belongs... Record companies must serve the interest of artists, not the other way around...
# 14

02/12/2002 1:32 am
Originally posted by florien
i studied in Enland for 1 year and i was really amazed by how much everyone smoked. I have never been in a coffie-shop. We only probably try it when we are younger, but it's not cool to smoke weed here, so not many continue.

Seriously? Wow... I find that remarkable. Here in Canada (as I'm sure it is for most of the western world), about 60% of kids in highschools smoke weed. In my school it's probably more like 70. And a LOT of just little grade nines, like 14 years old. It has little to do with enjoying the herb (not that I'm condoning it, I'm going to leave my own views on marijuana aside for the moment) and everything to do with "looking cool"...

It's easier to get weed here then it is to get beer, and probably easier to get weed here then it is in Holland. Despite the fact it's legal there.
# 15
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/12/2002 3:21 am
[QUOTE]It's easier to get weed here then it is to get beer, and probably easier to get weed here then it is in Holland. Despite the fact it's legal there.

Well, here in Vermont a lot of people I know have very little trouble growing the stuff. I even know of somebody who starts plants under his bed.

Regardless, I notice a lot of people when younger really get into alcohol, pot, and a couple of other choice drugs for a while, then usually after college say "what the hell was I thinking?" and all but stop with them.

Then again you'll have people that do the exact opposite...

Personally I don't like to introduce anything into my life that I won't be able to quit at any time I want. Keeping myself in bass strings is expensive enough.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/12/2002 12:51 pm
Lalimacefollie: in principle I TOTALY agree with you, but there are practical issues that need to be dealt with,. the music scene we see today is nothing like the fifties, you have a hell of a lot compition, and the little "5,000 copy 2 single deal" guy cant fight the big big big companies..

if you want to put out a release on a national scale (we're talking in excess of 100,000 copies), then there is a substansail financial risk involved, and no-one will take that risk unless they expect to make good money out of it, and it's not too risky.. this means the record lable will pick the bands that are doing mostly what is popular at the moment, and if you get picked put out your most catchy songs, not necserilly your best, and secondly they will put serious restrictions on the content of your music...

This is why I love small local record lables, you get to hear some really early cool stuff from bands, and it's not forced or restricted... THe small record lalbels are like stepping stones at the moment, which i think is better than having the big companies look at the charts and look for more of the same (which is not a good thing, and you only need to look at the BIG rap artists, and your "PRS" bands, as i call them.) At the end of the day though, you look at the huge sums of money that go in to recording an album alone, and then look at the promotion costs, you relizes that the record companies are only doing what they have to make a living... so to get onto a major record lable and remain respected and well looked after, you really need to have a good track record and have a buz about you at the mo, which is really hard to achieve (but that's the story with the strokes)..
Hope this made sense instead of my usual ramblings..
# 17
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/12/2002 4:52 pm
I totally agree. But here's an idea.

You put your music free to download on your site. Everytime someone downloads it, you have to put a 5 seconds ad in front of the song, or at the end, whatever. You get paid by the people you gave you that ad 10 cents per song downloaded...
So the customer has free music, the guy who pays you gets ads to a public he chooses (punk bands: punk fashion for example) and you get some money for what you like to do most...

Why hasn't anyone put that on the web already?? Because people who want to get most of the money are the webmasters or the commercial companies, NOT the artist... I prefer earning 60 bucks per year with my music, getting fans (I have 2 mails per week telling me how goo I am, isn't that cool?) than just keeping it in a closet in my house... Think about it!
# 18
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/12/2002 5:26 pm
I think you guys will agree with me that as much as we love to hate record companies for exploiting artists,most(if not all)artists are in this for the fame and money.And everything in life is a business;I dont know how big the "undertaking" business is,but if people never used to die,a lot of revenue would be lost.Back in the days,people used to hear about musicians from the local festivites and stuff that used to happen.That didn't cost anything.Today,as film said,promotion and stuff costs money.If you wernt in it for the money,why would you target 100000 copies sales and stuff like that?Why would you want to play in 40,50,60000-seat venues,preferrably packed to capacity?The fame,the money.Business,my dear friends,is anything but noble.Didn't know that?Welcome to the world.
Look at Enron.All those financial scandals you hear and stuff.I think art remains noble if done on a small,human scale.Beyond that,business "rules" apply,and they usually hurt.Everywhere,not just in music or art.If we were born rich(could handle the financial risks),you'll find most of us wouldnt do this;we already have the money,why bother with a career?

# 19
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
02/12/2002 6:02 pm
I have never said that I hated record companies, they do not exploit artists. If a company has put 100000 bucks ont the line to get an artist out of his garage, it is normal that they get their share of the money.

But record companies exploit their customers. How can anyone have a taste for art if all the things he hears is marketed identical music? 8 times out of ten, I can hear identical grooves in the music teens buy (they make half of the market).

I'm a music teacher, and my job is to make kids taste different kinds of music... But for the largest part of the population, Puff Daddy, destiny's child, are all the biggest artists ever, without even knowing they are rippoffs (even among real rappers, puffy is considered as a sellout) sad, sad, sad...

I'm starting my own company to promote artists this month. I hope I'll earn money thanks to that, but this is not my goal. First thing is to make musicians get out of their garage and be on the net. It won't be a record company, nor a "start-up" but something to help talented guys handle non musical things, so that they can keep on playing.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.