Beautiful girls don't play the guitar

kingdavid
kingdavid
02/06/2002 5:50 pm
Originally posted by friskynibbles
My great-grandfather was dutch.
-Daniel

I was wondering why the hell you chose to study Dutch.(No offence,Florien.
I mean,people study French,Spanish,Italian....English!
*shrug* :-)
# 1
florien
florien
02/06/2002 7:37 pm
Hey, Dutch is cool. But i must admit it's not spoken a lot in the world and we dutch people have to learn a lot of languages in school (i've had 7 foreign languages!)
By the way, about beautiful girls and guitars, i lent mine of a model and she is very pretty.
In Holland a lot of people walk around carrying a guitar or something else, i think in school a few even did it just to look cool.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/06/2002 9:47 pm
Originally posted by kingdavid
I was wondering why the hell you chose to study Dutch.(No offence,Florien.
I mean,people study French,Spanish, Italian....English!
*shrug* :-)
Those of us who grow up speaking English are at a major disadvantage when we travel!

In Canada, we learn our mother tongue, plus a bit of the other 'official language' be that French or English. If you want more, you have to go out of your way to learn it outside of the normal school curiculum.

When I was in The Netherlands, years ago, all I knew of the language was how to order Trapiste, (my favourite beer in the whole world!), and mutter darkly about farmers.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/07/2002 2:43 am
Originally posted by James
I dunno, maybe I'm a little defensive about her because she's one of the few Canadian bands to make it South of the border.

And I'm still waiting on an appology!

Seriously though, thanks for Blue Rodeo and Rush.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 4
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/07/2002 4:34 pm
Originally posted by florien
In Holland a lot of people walk around carrying a guitar or something else, i think in school a few even did it just to look cool.

Well,here in kenya,they don't.I've never seen a girl carrying a guitar.I think girls are a little more inhibited than boys.Consider:how wildly do girls dance,in say,some "rocknite" or that sort of thing.Do you see girls jumping from the stage on to the people and s@^$ like that?And don't tell me it's coz their dresses would fly up.
I agree with you;I find that look cool too.
And I suppose Dutch is cool.It's just that it wouldn't be the first foreign language one would think of learning.You need to have a fairly good reason,like in Daniel's case.
# 5
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
02/07/2002 6:18 pm
dutchies even ask me, 'why the f*** would you want to learn dutch???' it's relatively easy to learn and my family is from there. some day i'd like to go back, at least for a visit.
*shrug*
# 6
nechako
nechako
02/07/2002 8:12 pm
hot chics don't have to play guitar they are already all that. Lets face it most guys who play guitar do it for baite, to baite chics. They do this because they fell out of the loser ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. And usually they completely suck at guitar.
# 7

02/07/2002 9:14 pm
Originally posted by nechako
hot chics don't have to play guitar they are already all that. Lets face it most guys who play guitar do it for baite, to baite chics. They do this because they fell out of the loser ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. And usually they completely suck at guitar.

... umm

I wouldn't say that.
# 8
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/07/2002 10:30 pm
um nechako.. I dont mean to be a prick.. but speak for yourself man... I play guitar cos it's fun... and it's another outlet for creativity....

I dont know about this whole thread.. Poeple who get really really good at something (eg certain programmers who can program viruses under 300 bytes, yes bytes), are that good cos they spend a helluva alot of time doing so.. it usually come at the cost of a social life... now if your an introverted person and dont really talk to poeple much, that's no big loss, and your getting better at what you do as well...

The other thing I've noticed is that men are ones who become obssesive about THINGS, like the net (look at most of the poeple in this forum for example)...
These maybe factors... but on a whole I dont really know (for a fact anyway)...
# 9
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/08/2002 12:06 am
Not only are my Jazz Basses sexy, but I am too!

::flexes arms::
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 10
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/08/2002 8:07 am
Originally posted by educatedfilm
um nechako.. I dont mean to be a prick.. but speak for yourself man... I play guitar cos it's fun... and it's another outlet for creativity....

The other thing I've noticed is that men are ones who become obssesive about THINGS, like the net (look at most of the poeple in this forum for example)...

A lot more men than women play guitar,dude,so you'd naturally expect a forum for guitar players to be crawling with men.And that's a fact.Think of all the bands you know,from the one you're in to the one that plays at your local to the big timers.How many women do you see?
# 11
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/08/2002 11:47 am
hold on, I know of quite a few guitar players around my area, and there are quite a few women (not quite half, but not as far from it as you think), but they dont spend as much time (obsessing) on guitar, so they can play things like yellow submarine by the beattles and things like that, but not much more... Saying that there are one or two who are pretty good, not amaizing, but would have no real trouble in a band....
# 12
florien
florien
02/08/2002 4:50 pm
David, in Holland you see mostly girls on the dancefloor and belive me, i jump around a lot when i'm going out. Here a lot of guys stay aside, because they think they don't look cool when they are having fun, they're stupid.
And i never had problems dating guys, but i do play guitar, because i like it and i think that is the only reason why you should play anyway. I think when you play to be sexy you won't have fun playing and you will never become good and i think it's only sexy when you can show of a little.
# 13
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
02/08/2002 5:59 pm
Originally posted by nechako
Lets face it most guys who play guitar do it for baite, to baite chics. They do this because they fell out of the loser ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

I learned to play guitar and continue to play simply because I enjoy music. And I don't consider myself as having fallen out of the "ugly tree".

# 14
nechako
nechako
02/08/2002 8:04 pm
[QUOTE]Originally posted by educatedfilm
[B]um nechako.. I dont mean to be a prick.. but speak for yourself man... I play guitar cos it's fun... and it's another outlet for creativity....

Being honest doesn't make you a prick; mean what you say and say what you mean, thats cool. And women do so become obsessive compulsive look how they react to all the pre packaged boy bands out there.

# 15
brianmart4
brianmart4
02/08/2002 9:19 pm
Check out a new artist named Michelle Branch. Beautifull and she plays guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 16
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/08/2002 9:44 pm
nechako: :) (glad your not insulted)... that's just it, men become obssesed with THINGS, women get obsessed with POEPLE... it's wierd...
To be honest, I dont play to poeple much anyway... and it's wierd at what poeple are impressed at... I did some fast tapping in the guitar shop the other day, I just got looks of "oh.. another one, oh he's sooo prebucient.. god... he's not even playing anything descernable", but when I played the clarinet part for take 5 by the Krubeck quartet (oh, you all know it, just not maybe by it's name), I got quite a few smiles.. I only really learnt it cos I like jazz, and it sounds pretty good on guitar...
# 17
kingdavid
kingdavid
02/09/2002 5:38 pm
Originally posted by florien
David, in Holland you see mostly girls on the dancefloor and belive me, i jump around a lot when i'm going out. Here a lot of guys stay aside, because they think they don't look cool when they are having fun, they're stupid.

Just like Daniel,now I think I would also like to visit Holland.And it's not coz my folks are from there;they're not.I've also heard quite a bit about the night life in Amsterdam!
Anyway,I suppose that when I started this thread,I wanted to see responses from girls who do this.Coz I don't get to see very many,if any.Maybe I don't go to the right places.
We all know how we react when you see a person with a guitar,and you're a player yourself.You might chat them up or something,and if they find out you play too,they tend to be friendly,I suppose it that thing of having something in common.(God knows I'mvery friendly to guys who play,maybe it's coz I hope to learn whatever I can from them). Now,if you can add,to this "bond-by-default",the sexuality of human beings,that would be something.;)For me,I think that's what this thread is about.
*Shrug*

[Edited by kingdavid on 02-09-2002 at 12:20 PM]
# 18
nechako
nechako
02/10/2002 4:00 am

To be honest, I dont play to poeple much anyway... and it's wierd at what poeple are impressed at... I did some fast tapping in the guitar shop the other day, I just got looks of "oh.. another one, oh he's sooo prebucient.. god... he's not even playing anything descernable",
If you were tapping like that in 1985 all the chics and people for a 1000 miles around would have gathered at your feet just to smell them. Its too bad so many posers ruined tapping because I luv it. aaand also listening to most music today how much of it is discernable. Done well tapping rocks ass, a great book by dave celantano teaches tapping bach pieces. Ifind if you tap around the neck and mix it with other techniques switching sound effects and tell some sort of story with it all, give it some sort of plot-imagine it as a sound track for something.
# 19
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
02/10/2002 5:36 pm
If you like good beer, hot women (sexy accent!) and weed, Holland may just be your dream holiday destination. That or British Columbia, Canada!
-Daniel
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.