Beautiful girls don't play the guitar

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/23/2002 12:00 am
But there are so man sub-cultures in the US. Why?
Because almost everybody here came from somewhere else originally.

I think US culture definately gets pushed out more than world culture seeps in, yet in a way US culture is a reflection of many world cultures coming together and stewing on this continent.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
02/23/2002 1:07 am
yeah, I dont have a problem with american culture (barr politics, and media) really... I mean you cant say "america sucks..", cos that's just bollox I'm afraid... i'd like to go to the US someday... I mean yeah, there is an imbalance in culture exporting/ importing... but that's always happened... I'm not saying it's fair, but will continue to happen when you have a huge difference in media... but in all fair ness, the cut throat american markets have kept the pharmacutical/ medical engineering healthy... I mean there's soo much compition, which can only be good for the consumers.. in their case poeple in need..
but I do agree about THOSE that he named.. i mena american sitcoms, are seriously lacking in anything... I mean the canned laughter is there to remind you, that that part was funny (other than simpsons, which is great, but becoming predictable).. I mean one of the best british comdy prgrams i watched, was "red dwarf", which is a cool sci-fi program , with a cast of 4 poeple... lots of dialouge, little to no slapstick, and very little toilet humour... now, when this was americanised, all of a sudden there were more charecters (who were crap), less dialouge, the scenes became shorter, more tiolet humour... and basically the only funny non political program was butcherd before out eyes... with more ,Bigger, BETTER...
I think the american culture by default gets a lot of exposure to lots of cultures... being formed from people all over the world
Lordofthestrings: isn't there a law in canada that says that something like a 1/3 of the music played on radio must be canadain? they're thinking of bringing in something like that over here..
I mean, I dont mind what I listen/ see... as long as i like it (with out it being shoved down my throat)... I mean my favourite american bands aren't really that famous over there anyway...
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/23/2002 2:09 am
Canadian Content (CanCon) rules were introduced in order to ensure that a Canadian music industry got a chance to develop. I don't think they are in effect anymore. After a point, such regulations overprotect and weaken any industry. There were similar regs for TV as well, but as I said earlier, even the CBC runs a lot of American TV in prime-time.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
friskynibbles
friskynibbles
02/23/2002 4:12 am
I..........AM..........CANADIAN!
And there is lots of differences between Canada and the US.
-Daniel
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.