Guitar tricks record?... Whos in?....

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/03/2001 12:08 pm
I was thinking that maybe some one get's given the difficult tast of laying down the first rythem part, and then everyone contributes to it as they see fit, and then we tweak it, and then we alter the rythem etc.... Basically I'd like it to be a spontanous thing... I dont want to just
make something that has been made before...

Personally, I dont mind taking the back seat and giving the more able guitarists room to work... Like zep-rules says you might have to swallow your pride...
I dont know about Stair way... WHy dont we just go with it (as opposed to working towards something)?
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/03/2001 5:23 pm
Have you guys heard dream theater's A change of Seasons. (a great song, i recommend it) anyways the track is about 22 minutes long, but it's divided into a couple sections, or movements if you want. anyways, this might work for us.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
David Gilmour
David Gilmour
12/03/2001 5:42 pm
First of all, great idea, ed!

I don't really have anything to contribute musically, given my comparatively minute guitar skills.

What I can suggest, as a bystander, is to take a look at the blues, and how they manage to have like 15 great guitarists playing one song for the solo section, each plays a solo in his turn, while the others play rhythm (sort of like the ending to "Blues Brothers 2000", with BB King, Eric Burdon, Clapton, and others).

Since this is Guitartricks, I don't think that it's a bad thing to have more guitar parts than vocal or other instruments.

I also think that it's a good idea to also break off into smaller groups, maybe 4 or 5 each, and each make up a song. Maybe they rest of us could even vote for our favourite song.

Again, great idea, ed, and I'm very interested in hearing the outcome!
see you on the dark side of the moon
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
12/03/2001 6:17 pm
I was thinking this through while sat in the common room in college (before I got home a read through these) and I thought that perhaps we should break into to smaller groups. I think to start with this would be a much more valuable experience, giving everyone a chance to familiarise themselves with the process. After a few tries I think we could look at having a try at the 12 minute, thirty musicians epic...
The other thing I was thinking was whether the groups should be people who are interested in performing particular styles or if we just pick randomly and see who ends up where and what the produces.
I'd definitely talk with Jon about making this a Guitar Tricks thing..at least mention it to him, then let us work on it a see what happens, then let him listen to the results.
I think we need to get a few things agreed and set the ball in motion so this doesn't just stay a wonderful idea. I think we're on to something very exciting and an amazing experience...look forward to working with you people!
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/03/2001 6:56 pm

Maybe we should form two to three man "bands" depending on what style we want to do.
# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/03/2001 7:37 pm
in my opinion we should decide in which style we will do it
and then record the basic guitar progression, and decide which one is the best and only then decide about the whole soloing thing
i know it will be harder to do it as one big group, but i find it much more interesting to put different styles of playing together
anyway it will be easier if we will choose simple 12 bar blues progression for the begining
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6

12/03/2001 10:00 pm
Keep in mind that the blues isn't every one's thing... not that I'd be opposed to it. As for talking to Jon about this... well... I don't propose we keep it a secret from him, but keep in mind he also runs guitarwar.com, which essentially does what we're planning on doing. He might not take it too kindly that we're avoiding paying the fee at guitarwar and using this site which is free for our platform to do this sort of thing. Just a thought.
# 7
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/03/2001 10:54 pm
I would love to take part in this, but iĀ“m afraid iĀ“m too much involved in recording my own album right now.. iĀ“m slowly runnin out of time..

however - if u need help with sounds - i can offer a vast library of akai samples (mostly orchestral stuff)

-=[Azrael]=-

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 8
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/04/2001 12:35 am
I've thought about the guitarwar.com situation... all I've come up with is that, we're gonna do this... wether we do this off our own sites, and our own web space, or we use his site and increase traffic, is really the subject....
I mean we dont NEED to make this a regular feature on THIS site... but I think we need to put up space/ links/ news/ info etc up somewhere... I could do this... But I'm busy all the way upto Jan 18th to really take on something major....
We dont need anything buitiful or intracet, just something that does the job....

I think that the majority oppinion is that we break up, try it in small groups at first and then get back to gether and attempt something major... i think this is a good idea, as I'm an "ok" guitarist, I dont want to go under the feet of the good guitarist, and I dont want to be held back... so maybe splitting up into groups of abillity and styles is not such a bad idea at the beging...

AS someone has already said, we do need to make this happen, instead of it just staying as an idea... Has anyone started on this yet?... What have you done? How's it going?...

I dont think we should compete though... It makes no sense, no one gets anything from winning other than become the biggest egotistical -(ahem)- on this site... this is for fun, and could lead to much more serious stuff in the future...
I've yet to talk to jon about it, I'm still wondering how to phrase my grovel... i mean question...
# 9
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/04/2001 2:07 am
Originally posted by James
...but keep in mind he also runs guitarwar.com, which essentially does what we're planning on doing.

GuitarWar is for people who want to compete and try to cram as many notes into a measure as they can. Although they have done collaborations, they were somewhat rare and were for competition as well.

What Ed is talking about is something totally different. I get the idea that he just wants to get a bunch of guitarists together and write a song over the internet (not for competition, but just for our own enjoyment). Am I right?
# 10
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/04/2001 3:19 am
Personally, I like the idea of a song that goes from Jazz to funk to death metal to jazz and finally a country outro. I thrive on mixing styles around.

The reason I think breaking away into smaller groups is a good idea is because I think things will breathe better that way. "Smaller group" could mean nine people, but only four or so play on a given part of the song, the song ends up being twenty minutes (max), and there's three such "Groups." This is as opposed to everybody working on everything at once and having a forty five minute peice or a 20 minute peice, but everybody only being able to interject just a little.

I think ed mentioned starting small... this could be a good thing. Maybe a three member "Pilot" group should set up a process and a working method to get this done, iron out the kinks, and generally smooth everything out.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11

12/04/2001 3:28 am
Sounds like we got the ball rolling. First of all, we need to decide once and for all who is in this. Let's say that the deadline for people to sign up for this is, say... this Friday? Is that ok? Then we get the list of people, group them off, and the respective groups can make their own threads for discussion of the song. If we do decide to bring this up with Jon, we might even get him to dedicate an entire forum to this group stuff, with each thread being one project.

I think we need a seperate website to post news, and the list of people and maybe eventually some cool updates on the songs and a place where we can share them once finished. I'm pretty busy these days but wouldn't mind contributing my efforts to build the page. I used to do this stuff all the time. I don't have any webspace though.
# 12
Psycho Amram
Psycho Amram
12/04/2001 7:22 am
i suggest that someone will begin already

we need someone who's a fine guitarist (but not to much so he frightens the only "ok" guitarists among us (including me) and not too little so he bores the great ones)

for the really hard job of getting this whole thing started he will have the right to choose the style and key and if someone really dont like the style, just want to mix styles or cant get along with it he opens new group of his own style and the new groups will continue from where the prev. stopped

anyone who wants to be the first one please start workin' on it and post when you're done
God sent meat,
and the Devil sent cooks.

Excuse me while i keep this eye
# 13

12/04/2001 2:51 pm
I respectively disagree with Psychos plan of action, and still think the best way to do this is to compile a list of people wanting to be involved, and what their respective skills are (as outlined in my last post). I just think a little more order is required to make this a success, and completely agree with rask that smaller groups are a better idea at this point.

What do the rest of you guys think? How should we proceed?
# 14
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/04/2001 3:19 pm
"What Ed is talking about is something totally different. I get the idea that he just wants to get a bunch of guitarists together and write a song over the internet (not for competition, but just for our own enjoyment). Am I right? "
Exactly!!! thank you Christoph... :)

I do agree with the piolot group idea, but who's gonna be the first ones to go?...
I do agree about a deadline, Friday sounds pretty good to me...
I dont want us to seperate out style wise, I'd like to hear a cool mix of styles (very much like Rask has suggested)... I mean how cool would that be to able to put a tape of this on in the car, and just have everyone looking at you thinking "What the F-"... as well as getting to record with musicains who prefer certain styles that you dont normally come across...

Where's Skee1?... I'd really like to hear what he has to say about this...

I was also thinking about setting a REAL date for the everyone to get together... I'm talking maybe January/Febuary time when everyone starts handing in what they've got...

What do you think?... I'd just like to say this looks quite encouraging as I started this post only a few days back and already we're on the verge of actaully getting the thing under way... :cool:... Actaully, I started this on the second of december... taht was the day before yesterday! WOW!

Who'd like to be in the poilot group?...

[Edited by educatedfilm on 12-04-2001 at 10:47 AM]
# 15

12/04/2001 4:56 pm
I nominate Ed for one, since it was his idea.
# 16
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/04/2001 5:15 pm
I'm not a great soloist but i could definately do some of the rhythm. my stlye is mostly rock and metal. i have some pretty good riffs i can email them to people who want them. Anyways, i would like to be in, just letting you guys know.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 17
Willdridge
Willdridge
12/04/2001 5:45 pm
I'm prepared to help iron out the kinks...Put my name down on any list involved with this...
I think we could have several groups, people prepared to experiment with a few different, "foreign" styles and those who want to work with similar people...that way nothing's forced on anyone, but its still open to everyone interested. I'm more than up for working with different styles (by the way!)...
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 18
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
12/04/2001 6:03 pm
Ok Ed i'm here!

Lay the tracks down useing drums,Bass,Keyboards.
Use what ever key you want.
Use a chord progression that everyone likes or agrees,
on plus a beat that everyone likes ect.Then add all the guitar styles to it ect.All styles would be great for,
any progression or any Beat you use.

Mark
P:S I'm in i guess.(Sounds like fun for all)
You all have great idea's so lets get it togather!
You started it ED your the Man (Big boss man ha ha)
You sure you don't want to lay some xmas tracks down,
and put the guitar styles to it!(it would work you know)

[Edited by skee1 on 12-04-2001 at 01:14 PM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 19
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/04/2001 6:41 pm

Ok, count me in again.

I'm with Rasky on the jazz to funk to death metal thing. That'll be fun.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.