Guitar tricks record?... Whos in?....

educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/02/2001 12:17 am
I've had this idea for a while, but I've not mangaed to find enough musicains...then it hit me, you'r all here...
Right, the idea is, basically some one starts a riff/ intro/ rythem whater ever right... then this is uploaded, the next person put's in their contribution and so so on... so basically we have a song...

The other way of doing this is to just all have everyone submit something in one key, and then get some one who's got some time on thier hands to produce it...

What do you think? who's in?... I mean we dont have to get to work straight way or anything... but I could help in finding out what everyone could contribute...

I'll go first... Vocals, guitar, whisteling (I couldn't just have two things in there, I'd feel sooo inferior to the guy that lists 8 or 9 instruments)....

# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/02/2001 2:10 am
why not!!!
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2

12/02/2001 2:21 am
I'm in... I think. I'll progbably need a bit more info once you have it.
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/02/2001 3:56 am
Four strangs or five?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Psycho Amram
Psycho Amram
12/02/2001 6:48 am
sounds great man!
i'm in.
i know a drummer maybe he'll goin too.
vocals(????? i'm not that good ?????), guiatr (you didn't expect that now did you?), piano.
please post any new info. you have
:cool:
God sent meat,
and the Devil sent cooks.

Excuse me while i keep this eye
# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/02/2001 1:08 pm
now when i solved the mystery of pc recording i'd realy like to do something like that
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/02/2001 1:23 pm
cool... I've got a decent response....
Right we're gonna need to pick a key (we'll just stick to the one key at first, just to keep matters simple... cos we dont really know the pit falls of recording with poeple on line yet)...
I'm gonna introduce a couple of rules just to keep things in check...
1) Avoid shreding... I dont want the whole thing to turn into a "I bet I can shred faster than you" thing...
2) If you can contribute something other than guitar please do...
3) Keep good records of anything you contribute (and do the old trick of mailing your own tab with words with tape (if possible) to your self, and don't open it to keep the proof of date), that way there should be no agro about someone riping anyone else off...

We're gonna need some web space... Anyone got any good suggestions?... When we do get this sorted, sign up and post the Url and the password to all poeple involved in this project...

Rask: Five please :)... the more the merrier....

Are we gonna be ambitious enough to try harmonies?... I'd love to do vocal harmonies :D....

AS for guitar: we all ready have plenty of capable guitarists, now we need to allocate poeple to doing certain things... or at least find out what everyone wants to do, how you intend to do it, and more importantly tell us what effects/ setting your playing with....

This project may take a while, so I ask everyone to be patient....

Is there anyone available for a producer's job?...

By the way this isn't my project, it's all of ours... so it's not just me orchestrating the whole thing... So feel free to hand your good ideas...

As for key, I like Gmaj, it sounds ok and keeps life simple..(we'll pick the most voted for key...)
# 7
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/02/2001 4:57 pm
i had to teach myself guitar, so i'm not exactly sure about the keys, if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out, i've got some pretty goods riffs down, but, again i don't know what key, they're in.

i'd appreciate any help
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

# 8
Willdridge
Willdridge
12/02/2001 5:54 pm
I'm in...

Guitars (duh!) vocals (backing, harmonies, certain leads), I'd offer my bass skills but I garentee Raskolnikov will wipe the floor with me, banjo (...ahem...)
Definitely interested.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/02/2001 6:35 pm
I'm pretty sure everyone is thinking in terms of radical lead/solo parts. I suggest that Raskolnikov and myself can provide the kind of solid rhythm section needed to keep you 'string-slingers' in line! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/02/2001 8:48 pm
These online collaborations have been tried a lot over at Guitarwar, with some great results, I might add. (of course, they always have to shred a lot to prove that they're the greatest guitarist of all time) I tried one a long time ago, but it didn't work out because the other guy lost his internet connection for a while.

I can offer my "radical" rhythm skills, drum tracks, and maybe keyboard. I've got some web space too.

I suppose I should ask Eddy what style he wants to do?

Key: I vote for Ab Lydian. (or maybe not . . . )
# 11
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/02/2001 8:58 pm
i suggest we shall do the whole thing in Cm if we use minor or G if we use major
ouh yes i use zoom gfx 707, and a cry baby wah pedal
i'd like to do something in a clasic rock style, something like zeppelin or deep purple and i can play lead and rhythm , but i prefer lead

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/02/2001 9:05 pm
'suits me... something I can lay down some open-tuned 12-string on, like "Bron-Y-Aur Stomp", or "That's The Way".
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/02/2001 9:44 pm
This thing is gonna be huge. Due to the number of people interested and for the sake of making sure everything is heard, I propose a couple of things:

• Keep it to four or five peices max for a section of song. This means we'll have a longer peice with more parts. Should be really interesting.

• Maybe split into two or three projects. There are so many styles represented here, it's gonna be interesting to see it all blend together.

This could be very cool. I have some web space, both on RedRival.com and my totally unused iDisk.

As for my "floor mopping" bass skills... well, I have my moments. Once I get Standing uploaded again, I'll give you a link to the most disgusting fretless bass fill ever. I mean, it's so horrible that I love it, and refused to re-do the track.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 14

12/02/2001 9:50 pm
First I think we need to decide what kidn of song we're doing, and who's doing what. We can't decide on the key until we know what kind of song we're doing. Gmaj, Cm, AbLydian, these will all produce radically different vibes!

I suggest we start making a list of who can do what. I'll start off.

I am adequate at producing songs in Sonar, but I strongly suggest someone else do it who has more experience and better equiped to work with MIDI.

I can do lead work, harmonies, supportive guitar, but probably would stay away from the rhthym unless needed.
I also play nylon-string, so if that was needed I could fit it in (alhtough I don't have very good means of recording this).

Just a suggestion: what if we split up into groups for this, since it might be hard to do a song with three rhythm guitarists and five leads, etc.? Just wonderin if the phrase "Too many cooks spoils the soup" is better applied here as opposed to "the more the merrier"?
what are your thoughts?
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/02/2001 9:53 pm
I didn't think we were looking at a 2-minute song here.

People rave about the solo in "Stairway To Heaven", while sloughing off a whole bunch of stuff that gives the solo 'a place to live'.

I'd recommend going easy on the effects. The time-based stuff works best when it gets added during the mix-down.

So, who does what, and when?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/02/2001 10:02 pm
I do 6 & 12 string acoustic and 6 string electric rhythm work, and some slow lead. I found that when I play fast, I lose track of what I was trying to say. I think the acoustic 12 is where I stand out.

We definitely will need someone to provide production guidance from square 1.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/02/2001 11:35 pm
WOW! I thought noone would respond... but wow look!

Right I think I'll go witht the two suggestions that we either
1) make a 12 minute epic, where there will be music breaks/ solos where the musians will pass on the batons to next guys.... SO it will be a montage of styles... I can just hear it now... "a sonic cacophony/barrage of guitar" is what i expect the point where the switch occurs, which I think is cool
2) or we split into smaller groups...

The other thing that I was thinking about talking to Jon about, is that maybe this should become a regular feature...
What does everyone think?

Personally I dont really want everyone to split up and form groups because of what they want to do... I want it all to be a mix of styles... although sometimes it may not be possible...

I'd like to keep the keys simple, to make life easier for us all for our first attempt... and to give poeple with not so good music theory (like my self) a chance...

I'm all excited about this :D...
# 18
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/03/2001 4:11 am
it's possible to do it with all of us. especially if we can get a twelve string in there. everyone might have to swallow their pride and play backing on some parts. i don't mind playing rhythm and i'll defer to the better leads.

what we may have to do is layer it, maybe have one guy play a part and and another playing the same thing an octave lower or higher.

but as said before, what type of song are we going for, a stairway type or a comfortably numb type or a freebird type, etc. this could really turn out great, but it may take some work.

# 19
Psycho Amram
Psycho Amram
12/03/2001 6:53 am
wow! wow! everybody calm down! :eek:
we're only talking here i say it's time to DECIDE

i suggest we first decide what will be the style so everybody please talk only 'bout the style and not 'bout parts and effects and keys and stuff

i vote for the stairway thing and offer my poor guitar and piano skills for the noble cause

and please try to stay consistant on one subject and not the whole project
God sent meat,
and the Devil sent cooks.

Excuse me while i keep this eye
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.