Guitar tricks record?... Whos in?....

Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/04/2001 7:37 pm
yeah and i'll be home the whole next week since we have holiday here, so im eager to start working, but i realy do think we should plan it before actualy record anything

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 1

12/04/2001 9:59 pm
Ok so, so far we have:
Ed, 1
Christoph, 2
Rask, 3
Willdridge, 1
Lordatthestrings, 2
David Gilmore, 3
skee1, 1
Zep_rules, 2
Zeppelin, 3
Psycho Amram, 1
and Myself 2

and Azrael has generously given us access to his collection of Alkai samples.

I know that its not Friday yet, but we all seem eager to get going...

So in total, for now, we have 10 people who are ready to be part of the process. Say we split into three groups, each group with three and one with four? As for splitting, I say the best way would be to do it completely randomly. I put a number beside each person, so the ones are together, the twos, and the threes. Sound ok?
Or should we have two groups of five?
# 2
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/04/2001 11:11 pm
HOLY CRAP!!! WE'RE READY TO GET STARTED!!! OH my God!...
It took just 2 days!... Sorry, I'm just in shock... I thought it would take ages to pick up speed... I'm a little bit busy at the mo, but I think I could maybe contribute something... :)
Azreal: will you take Mp3s?
I mean poeple shouldn't really expect a master peice on the first atempt... Infact I'm thinking about what Skee1 said, maybe do a rendition of well known christmas song (since 'tis the season)... or maybe a cover... What does everyone say?... It would be alot quicker and easier... but on the down side it may not be as much fun...
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/04/2001 11:30 pm
...so let's rock!

Unless we get some more polyphonic volounteers, Rask is going to have a lot of bass work to do.

And we have not made any decisions regarding the most imporatant thing, which is "Where's the [u]music[/u]?

I will admit to feeling just a little bit timid about laying out the basis for a multinational musical collaboration.

Even the time signature. 4/4 is universal, but is it too basic?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/04/2001 11:37 pm
your absoultly right when you say where the music is... and I'd still like to know if anyone would be nice enough to volenteer some web space?...
What I'm getting all so excited about, is that this realy could happen, not just another one of my kooky ideas...
I dont really think we need to complicate it... someone hands in something that defines the early rythem, then you build on it, and let it flow, and maybe get with the other guys and decide whether you want a chorus or music break or a solo here or there... Do yo know what I mean?...
# 5
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/05/2001 12:30 am

I think it would be better to split up according to skills. What I mean is that we shouldn't have three lead guitarists in one group, three rhythm players in another, and so forth. We should try to split up so each group has a rhythm player, a lead player, and someone who knows about recording and mixing.

By the way, I have webspace. It'll just be a matter of getting it set up for anonymous ftp access.

James, you mentioned that you'd be able to build a page for this. What are your web-building skills? PHP? Graphic design?
# 6

12/05/2001 1:14 am
True Christoph, allocation of people on the basis of their skills would be the wisest thing to do, but it might be cool to give people a chance to take on a niche that they usually don't tread on, no? Plus, there would be several parts of a song, wouldn't there? Like, for example you would play rhythm for a section, switch to lead, then maybe back to rhythm or maybe harmonizing. Something like that... depending on the makeup of your group.

It was a while ago, before I fell in love with the guitar, that I was a web-monkey! But I used to be pretty competent at page design and graphic creation (I own Dreamweaver and Photoshop). The technical side I never really mastered though (such as java, peril script, etc.). I volunteer to handle the web page, if it's required.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/05/2001 2:12 am
I agree on both points. I volounteered some 12-string rhythm because that's probably the only skill I have that has any chance to let me stand out in this distinguished company of players.

However, 12-string lies heavy on the palate as a musical main course. And I'd be disappointed if I couldn't 'get my licks in' somewhere!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8

12/05/2001 2:20 am
Lord I'm sure your talent with the 12 string will quickly become reverred among this group of players, but if you want to contribute something else don't worry about how you'll 'rate up'! The point of this should be to allow yourself to creatively interact with other musicians, it shouldn't be a contest to see who can be the best rhythm player, lead player, etc. There's plenty of room for competition over at guitarwar. I definately don't wager that my skills will shine out over anyone elses
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/05/2001 2:25 am
Awwww gorsh!!! blush :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
12/05/2001 5:48 pm
Originally posted by James
Lord I'm sure your talent with the 12 string will quickly become reverred among this group of players, but if you want to contribute something else don't worry about how you'll 'rate up'! The point of this should be to allow yourself to creatively interact with other musicians, it shouldn't be a contest to see who can be the best rhythm player, lead player, etc. There's plenty of room for competition over at guitarwar. I definately don't wager that my skills will shine out over anyone elses

James is right Lord i agree this should not be a,
contest or a Competition project.
Its got to be a team thing plus a fun thing.
Also trying to play to perfect also makes it ,
no fun sometimes.What i mean even me when i play out,
i make a few mestakes but i just laugh at them,
and so dos the band sometimes.(And i know i've missed,
alot of notes in my life of playing guitar and still do,
once in a while.(I think its healthy sometimes)
I do think who ever dos the mixing is going to have,
the hardest job.
Also is everyone going to send thier part ect in a,
mp3 format or will they need it converted over from wave,
to mp3 (Just wondering)?
Oh yea ED i was just kidding about the xmas tunes ,but,
i would go along with the idea if everyone wanted to,
do one.
Also are we all going to vote on some things ?
And i'd like to add if we do vote i hope no-body gets mad,
and drops out because it did'nt go thier way!
I myself will go along with anything you guys decide,
even if i don't agree with the votes.
So before we vote or if we vote i hope you all agree,
not to drop out of the project because that would be,
Sad.
Mark (more later got to go!

yours truly Mark Toman
# 11
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/05/2001 6:08 pm
why doesn't everyone list their style and skill. that why we'll have a definate list and it would be easier to group.

me:

rhoads style, metal, rock, and a little classical

i can play rhythm, i'm not a great lead but i can try if necessary.

p.s. once everyone gets their styles in, it would be good if someone could put it all into one list then post it, that would be good, and would help get us organized.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 12
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/05/2001 8:10 pm
my skills:
can play both rhythm and lead, i think i can play blues solos quite alright, but im totaly lost when talking about shredding
anyway i dont think we should split to smaller teams, at least not on the first atempt, anyway we realy should start working on a progression, so we will have a base to work with

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 13
xprince
xprince
12/05/2001 8:32 pm
Hi. I hope I'm not too late. I haven't visited forum in maybe a week and look what happened!?! If there is a chance I would like to be included in that, but I'm no expert though. I play guitar rythem and lead, mainly blues and rock. I also have a poor set of drums here and a home made mic, so I'm able to record, but I'm getting started with them. I really looks this will be good, so if there's anything I can do please let me know.

There is only one god, and his name is Jimi Hendrix.
# 14
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/06/2001 12:06 am
We need web space, and we need to upload some of our stuff, so we can have an idea what we're all working with (wether we work in small groups or one big one)....
My infulences:
That a difficult one... I'm not really sure, A lot of rock some hendrix and my own experimenting...
# 15
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
12/06/2001 12:29 am

Ed, how much web space do you think we're going to need? Would twenty megs be sufficient?

James, my web design skills are graphic design, html, and javascript. If we want to set up our own message board we'd have to find someone who knows PHP or Perl.

As for guitar skills, I pretty much do anything in any style (except for country!). Rhythm, lead, and mixing. I actually try to stay away from lead playing any more, because I've turned into more of a rhythm player . . . but, there you have it.

[Edited by Christoph on 12-05-2001 at 07:36 PM]
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/06/2001 2:08 am
I can hold my own on any style that doesn't demand extreme speed.

My personal taste leans toward bluesy jazz, with a bit of a funky twist to the rhythm... something like "Blue Collar" by BTO.

And if you haven't heard that, you guys gotta visit Canada for an extended imersion course in maple-music!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/06/2001 2:47 am
Maybe it's because I live so close to Quebec...
But I'll pass for now.

Anyway, here I go:
Four string, five string, and fretless bass, crappy blues leads, rythm guitar, and the occaisional dabble in drum machine programming.

As for style, I'll play anything I find interesting.

Oh, and that promised mp3 of my sometimes stellar, sometimes completely botched, but still comes through fretless bass playing.

Warning: The S-word gets used a couple of times. If you object or if you aren't allowed to listen to such language, don't click.
Standing

[Edited by Raskolnikov on 12-05-2001 at 09:54 PM]
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 18

12/06/2001 3:23 am
Xprince, glad to have you aboard man.

I agree that before we can get this straightened out, we need to setup a webpage and get a list up of the participants and various styles. It won't take logn to set up a prelimary page as soon as we decide whereabouts to start. Christoph, it's your webspace, so I'll leave it up to you with what you want to do about it. I'm mroe then happy to help out, but if you want to do it yourself then that's cool too. As for the forum, I'm good friends with a computer-wiz who owes me a couple favors, and I'm sure we could get one set up in time.

As for skills... hmm...
I would say I'm mostly a lead guy; I'm not the greatest at playing rhythm although I do think I have a good sense of composition (know a lot of interesting chords, progressions, etc.). If I had to define my lead style, I'd say a little bit of Slash, a little bit of Santana, maybe some Vai (I'm aspiring!) and my own flavor that I've gained from listening to bands and artists such as Boston, Triumph, Al Di Meola, Randy Rhoads, David Gilmore... I also play classical guitar. I'm still strengthing my technique with the nylon string (can get 16th notes at 115bpm usin the fingers (I don't know if thats good or not)) and strengthing my music reading.

Anyways, that sums it up. If I ever get done the song I'm currently recording, I'll post it somewhere so you can get an idea of where I'm at.
# 19
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
12/06/2001 5:46 am
No problems with Styles just lay down a track!
If you want i'll play Rhythm or Lead what ever you want!
Plus Christopher i'll even chicken pick some country,
for you i know you would like that ha ha.
All i need is a good beat.
I think we need a chord progression! In any style or what,
ever style you guys decide on..............

Mark

yours truly Mark Toman
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.