Fastest guitarist you know!!!

Lava_Monster
Lava_Monster
02/12/2005 9:24 pm
The classic line "You can say more with one note than with many."

Think of it like this. When speaking and telling a story. You can tell someone the whole event in a few sentences and no details and be boring. Or you can tell the whole story with every detail, and still be boring. Or you can tell the story with key words with important detaisl and words that strike up a certain emotion.

Same thing applies to music. I think what makes a guitarist good is the ability to know how to strike up an emotion and keep people interested into their music. Being able to play at a decent speed is part of that. Can't just say screw you to speed and techinque, nor can you say that to being creative. Need an even mix.
I can't help it. When I get an idea that excites me it's as if I can't breath unless I make it real.
-Steve Vai
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/18/2005 4:01 am
I'm delusional and seem to believe that cryptopsy is the best band ever especially when it comes to speed. Jon Levasseur. Of course he might not be fast but he's got some good sweeping. Now their drummer on the other hand. He might be one of the fastest drummers out there. Not sure as I don't really look into drummers that much. But this is a guitar site not percussion site. To hell with drummers (don't take that serious)
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/18/2005 4:44 am
Hey cryptic,you might want to check out necrophagist if you like cryptopsy...far more technical(seriously).

here at http://www.necrophagist.de/Seiten/necrophagist_main.html

Click on the download tab and check out the song files...your jaw will drop.

Also,look into 'spawn of posession'...another good band.
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/19/2005 12:21 am
I shall check them out.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/19/2005 4:24 pm
NOW!!!lol

also look up...

1.Theory In Practice

2.Symbyosis

and if you like black metal in the least(and even if you don't) check out Wintersun...My favorite black metal band right next to Immortal.
Try once,fail twice...
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/19/2005 4:34 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartand if you like black metal in the least(and even if you don't)

I'd like Black metal so much more if they'd stop screaming so much...I mean, can't they sing?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/19/2005 5:43 pm
I've heard wintersun and they just didn't do it much for me. I like black metal dont' get me wrong, love it. But I'm easily more into death metal. I can count the death metal bands I don't like on one hand. And regarding Jolly, that's part of what makes black metal black metal. Some do sing occasionally but it's mostly shrieks. Older black metal bands like Venom don't really have quite the shriek that newer ones have.

Hulk Smash!!

# 7
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/19/2005 11:06 pm
Do you like Decapitated cryptic?

I really only like 'winds of creation' and the early demo's...is the 'negation' any good?
Try once,fail twice...
# 8
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/20/2005 7:54 pm
Whats the difference between Death Metal and Black Metal

geez, so many metals: Power Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal and Black Metal.

:confused: :confused:
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 9
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
02/20/2005 9:09 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941Whats the difference between Death Metal and Black Metal

geez, so many metals: Power Metal, Heavy Metal, Thrash Metal, Death Metal and Black Metal.

:confused: :confused:

I hate using many terms to difine similar music styles too !
Anyway , the obvious difference between black & death , is that black tends to have more classical advances and the use of keyboards , more sadness and depression , while death metal music is more violent and agressive.
Vocally , death metal usualy is done at lower pitches.

On a second thought , can't this thread just die ?!
# 10
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/20/2005 9:24 pm
Originally Posted by: SLYI hate using many terms to difine similar music styles too !
Anyway , the obvious difference between black & death , is that black tends to have more classical advances and the use of keyboards , more sadness and depression , while death metal music is more violent and agressive.
Vocally , death metal usualy is done at lower pitches.

On a second thought , can't this thread just die ?!

ohh i got ya

yea this thread should be banished. Makeing a thread over 100 replies intimidates members not to read it cause its so long.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 11
alucard0941
alucard0941
02/20/2005 9:26 pm
Originally Posted by: Lava_MonsterMicheal Angelo Batio, to me, isn't only fast, but he takes a lot of his lines from the classical realm.

Fastestest guitarist I know personally is Rusty Cooley. I Talk to to guy every week. I know he isn't the fastest guitarist, but he is fast.

Wait!! you know Rusty!!!

wow thats awsome. Yea I know he lives in Houston. I live in the suburbs of Houston, Sugarland. Does he have guitar classes or somthing?
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/20/2005 11:23 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941Whats the difference between Death Metal and Black Metal

The best explaination I've seen is this: "Death Metal = gore, gore, gore; Black Metal = sing about trolls."

As to closing the thread -- I'd rather have one of this one than 30 smaller versions of it.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
02/21/2005 4:11 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovThe best explaination I've seen is this: "Death Metal = gore, gore, gore; Black Metal = sing about trolls."

You can't be serious rask!??What a lousy explanation!

Heres a list of words/phrases/themes that you may frequently find in each genre...

Black Metal:vikings,winter,battles,darkness,hate,soul/spirit,suffering,anti-religion,paganism,satanism,mythology e.c.t.(note that my knowlege of black metal is limited since I'm more into death metal.)

Death Metal:nihilsm,pessimism,pain,hate,gore,paranormal,spirit/soul,space/time,god,evil,religion,social issues,cultures,history/historical events,addiction,mythology,anatomy,decay,fear,psycology,evolution,science e.c.t...basically anything really.
Try once,fail twice...
# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/21/2005 5:38 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartYou can't be serious rask!??

Of course not, but you have to admit it's amusing (and though simplistic, somewhat truthful).

Sure, there are songs about anything in any genre, but when a genre of music has bands who go by names like "Dying Fetus" and "Carcass," it's pretty easy to see where "the heart" lies.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/21/2005 5:45 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartBlack Metal:vikings,winter,battles,darkness,hate,soul/spirit,suffering,anti-religion,paganism,satanism,mythology e.c.t.(note that my knowlege of black metal is limited since I'm more into death metal.)

Death Metal:nihilsm,pessimism,pain,hate,gore,paranormal,spirit/soul,space/time,god,evil,religion,social issues,cultures,history/historical events,addiction,mythology,anatomy,decay,fear,psycology,evolution,science e.c.t...basically anything really.

I'm surprised you can even tell...with all that screaming and/or growling I can't understand a word they say. Did I mention that I hate scream/growl vocals? They are musically pathetic, and the worst kind of embodiment of a stereotype. Metal=anger, screaming=anger, well then we must scream when we play metal. Too bad people are too lazy to learn how to sing.

/rant
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 16
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/21/2005 5:57 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI'm surprised you can even tell...with all that screaming and/or growling I can't understand a word they say. Did I mention that I hate scream/growl vocals? They are musically pathetic, and the worst kind of embodiment of a stereotype. Metal=anger, screaming=anger, well then we must scream when we play metal. Too bad people are too lazy to learn how to sing.

/rant

1. As much as I love Maiden, "Killing on Adrenaline" wouldn't sound right with Bruce Dickinson on vocals.

2. You dig Scissorfight -- surely you can see that there's a time and place for everything?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/21/2005 6:22 am
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov1. As much as I love Maiden, "Killing on Adrenaline" wouldn't sound right with Bruce Dickinson on vocals.

I agree, but is "Killing on Adrenaline" anywhere close to the quality of "Fear of the Dark," "Powerslave," or "Wrathchild?"

2. You dig Scissorfight -- surely you can see that there's a time and place for everything?

I admit it, perhaps I was harsh in my judgement. However, Scissorfight does not scream to the extent that most metal bands today do. Bands like "Tristania" and "Trivium" and their ilk. Moderation is the key, and Scissorfight's "screaming" is much more laid back and understandable.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 18
koRn_freAk
koRn_freAk
02/21/2005 3:07 pm
Children of Bodom, they´re fast, go to www.mysongbook.com and search for, the art of alexi laiho (he´s the vocalist and the guitarist in Children of bodom)
# 19
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/21/2005 5:27 pm
Ok, in response to a few things. 1. Yes I do like Decapitated, Winds of Creation is one of my favorite CDs in my collection. 2. Death metal and black metal are completely different. Death is typically based around sheer brutality in a musical sense. Very heavy and intense. Black metal has more of a sound of despair and misanthropy. Keyboards are often present but not necessary. Song topics can vary as I've seen solely gore based death metal bands and quite happy and cheerful death metal bands. Some do things "traditionally" others do things abstractly. 3. it's not so much that they don't want to learn how to sing or whatever, it's just that death metal growls work with the brutal music. Could you imagine a soprano singer wailing over a cannibal corpse song? It'd sound stupid. His growls fit it better because they make their music specifically for growls. Some bands make their music to fit singing as well but keep the growls, like Opeth for example. Others make their music to solely suit singing like the newer stuff by Therion. Black metal can be more user friendly for singing though typically if the singing is apathetic and hollow as the music. Yet again, that works because that's what they wanted it to do. BB King doesn't get King Diamond to sing on his music. Why? Because his music's not made for that style of singing.

Hulk Smash!!

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.