whats with all the screaming

srpianojrguitar
srpianojrguitar
04/23/2006 10:18 pm
ok, so i like a lot of different kinds of music. just not country or rap.
Some things i just dont understand with metal. whats with the screaming?
take trivium for example. they are a good band and have a lot of good songs, but im not a fan of their screaming. like i kind of ignore gunshot to the head of trepidition until like 1:45, cuz then the good parts come on.
You come into this world naked, you leave this world naked

-You dont leave the world naked

You do if you plan it right

HEYYY AQUAALUNNGGGGG!
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
04/23/2006 11:08 pm
Originally Posted by: srpianojrguitarok, so i like a lot of different kinds of music. just not country or rap.
Some things i just dont understand with metal. whats with the screaming?
take trivium for example. they are a good band and have a lot of good songs, but im not a fan of their screaming. like i kind of ignore gunshot to the head of trepidition until like 1:45, cuz then the good parts come on.

The screaming is why I stick to New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Not much atonal screaming in Maiden and Priest.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
acapella
acapella
04/24/2006 3:32 pm
It's probably because they're incapable of actual singing so they have to make up talents to have.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/24/2006 3:51 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaIt's probably because they're incapable of actual singing so they have to make up talents to have.

Kind of like me with guitar playing.....
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
04/24/2006 4:19 pm
I guess if you've not a good singer... you can atleast try to be a good screamer... but in most cases... People that can "scream" effectively actually have nice singing voices.... in most cases, not all. I'm not into that kind of stuff either. I think bands like Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engaged, Trivium, In Flames... and so on... would do themselves a favor if they did songs with real vocalists... that kind of music would appeal such a larger spectrum of people... They're good bands but I can't stand listening to them either...
# 5
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
04/24/2006 4:43 pm
I believe all bands reserve the right perform their vocals any way they damn choose. If u can't deal with it, no one's gonna make u listen it. who cares what kind of "spectrum of people" it appeals to. Trivium is badass btw.
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
04/24/2006 5:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709I believe all bands reserve the right perform their vocals any way they damn choose. If u can't deal with it, no one's gonna make u listen it. who cares what kind of "spectrum of people" it appeals to. Trivium is badass btw.

I'm not trying to negate anything that they've accomplished. And I'm not ignorant enough to see past the fact that each individual owns their own freedom of speech and action... I stated a personal opinion. Of course no one is going to make me listen to it... because I would probably shoot them in the face... That doesn't mean that you, or anyone else, can't like their music. I was simply saying that I agreed with the title of this thread... in that, I don't like music that has screaming vocals...

My comment on "the spectrum of people" is coming from my opinion that all the bands I listed are very talented bands... If they didn't scream... I believe their success would be much greater. Because by and large, Screaming vocals will turn more people off than attract people. You can dispute that... but like I said, you have your opinion... I have mine... so atleast leave me with that. I wasn't tryint to offend you or any band that I listed...
# 7
srpianojrguitar
srpianojrguitar
04/24/2006 5:54 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaIt's probably because they're incapable of actual singing so they have to make up talents to have.

for some yes, but trivium actually has a really good vocal sound when not screaming. gun shot and dying in your arms are really good songs, im just not a fan of screaming n stuff.
You come into this world naked, you leave this world naked

-You dont leave the world naked

You do if you plan it right

HEYYY AQUAALUNNGGGGG!
# 8
dying2live_00
dying2live_00
04/24/2006 7:00 pm
for those of you criticizing harsh vocals on no ground, i think you should know what you're talking about before actually talking. harsh vocals are actually harder than clean ones and unlike simply being gifted, u have to also train your throat to sucessfully hold even one note while growling, try it out yourself. also, its well known that harsh vocalists can almost always sing perfect clean vocals, while clean vocalists can never sing harsh vocals without at least lots of training. and another thing, if you simply say that harsh vocals "are crappy", its just you're goddamn opinion and not everyone agrees with you, I personally really love music with harsh vocals.
# 9
aschleman
aschleman
04/24/2006 7:13 pm
Originally Posted by: dying2live_00for those of you criticizing harsh vocals on no ground, i think you should know what you're talking about before actually talking. harsh vocals are actually harder than clean ones and unlike simply being gifted, u have to also train your throat to sucessfully hold even one note while growling, try it out yourself. also, its well known that harsh vocalists can almost always sing perfect clean vocals, while clean vocalists can never sing harsh vocals without at least lots of training. and another thing, if you simply say that harsh vocals "are crappy", its just you're goddamn opinion and not everyone agrees with you, I personally really love music with harsh vocals.

In order to keep peace in this thread... I know I'm not a moderator... But, I don't suggest coming on the forums just to tell people that their opinions are "ignorant". If you think that "there are a lot of ignorant comments here" then essentially you're saying each of us that states our opinion is ignorant... I think everyone that posts here regularly... unlike you... with your 2 posts... is well aware of the debate over growling, screaming, and singing... The fact that it is hard on your vocal chords... That is a fact... I'm also pretty certain that no one here needs you to point out that what they're saying is their "god **** opinion" (see forum rules about language use). I think they're well aware of their freedom of speech. And anyone should respect that. I'm glad you like music with harsh vocals. Because I'm sure we all have very different tastes... I just think it would be the wiser if you didn't come on the boards and start throwing your weight around... especially when you have 2 posts...

Debates on this subject are obvious... so for everyone... IT'S A MATTER OF OPINION! RESPECT EVERYONES OPINION IF YOU WISH YOUR'S TO BE HEARD!

and Akira pretty much called that one!!
# 10
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/24/2006 7:29 pm
Originally Posted by: dying2live_00harsh vocals are actually harder than clean ones and unlike simply being gifted, u have to also train your throat to sucessfully hold even one note while growling, try it out yourself.

I disagree entirely. I find it far easier to hit the right notes when I'm growling. Singing clean is tough. Or perhaps tuff.
# 11
acapella
acapella
04/24/2006 7:33 pm
Originally Posted by: dying2live_00for those of you criticizing harsh vocals on no ground, i think you should know what you're talking about before actually talking. harsh vocals are actually harder than clean ones and unlike simply being gifted, u have to also train your throat to sucessfully hold even one note while growling, try it out yourself. also, its well known that harsh vocalists can almost always sing perfect clean vocals, while clean vocalists can never sing harsh vocals without at least lots of training. and another thing, if you simply say that harsh vocals "are crappy", its just you're goddamn opinion and not everyone agrees with you, I personally really love music with harsh vocals.

I actually disagree with that. I wouldn't say I have "perfect" clear vocals, far from it. But I find it ridiculously easy to scream or "growl" in the right notes, even before I started practicing singing. I'm still not very good but it took me practice to get even this far, where as screaming and growling I just always could do for fun.

Also I agree with aschleman...I wouldn't try to start any fights with two posts, especially when you are expressing the opinion that people who are expressing their opinions should not express their opinions because their opinions are different from the opinions that you express. :confused:
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 12
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
04/24/2006 7:39 pm
Originally Posted by: srpianojrguitarfor some yes, but trivium actually has a really good vocal sound when not screaming. gun shot and dying in your arms are really good songs, im just not a fan of screaming n stuff.

I definitely agree with you there. I mean, I don't understand exactly why Matt feels the need to constantly shriek at the top of his lungs when he has a perfectly good singing voice with which to express himself. But usually, I simply mentally block out the vocals whenever I'm listening to "screamers" like Trivium, Machine Head, Carcass, Opeth etc. The exception for me is Lamb of God, whose vocals are actually intelligible!
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 13
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
04/24/2006 7:42 pm
i like good screamers.....dickinson, halford, dianno, oliva, erica boyer ;) ....this new death crud i cannot stand ...so i don't listen.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 14
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/24/2006 8:52 pm

Our opinions here at GT are not "goddamn".
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 15
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/24/2006 8:53 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraQue huge pointless debate.

-_-

You naughty little instigator, you. :p
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 16
rockonn91
rockonn91
04/24/2006 9:46 pm
i personally think a good growl can contribute alot to a song. but constant growling... eh. not so much.

and uh. dying2live_00, you stink, mister. :o hehe. i said stink.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 17
dying2live_00
dying2live_00
04/24/2006 11:00 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanIn order to keep peace in this thread... I know I'm not a moderator... But, I don't suggest coming on the forums just to tell people that their opinions are "ignorant". If you think that "there are a lot of ignorant comments here" then essentially you're saying each of us that states our opinion is ignorant... I think everyone that posts here regularly... unlike you... with your 2 posts... is well aware of the debate over growling, screaming, and singing... The fact that it is hard on your vocal chords... That is a fact... I'm also pretty certain that no one here needs you to point out that what they're saying is their "god **** opinion" (see forum rules about language use). I think they're well aware of their freedom of speech. And anyone should respect that. I'm glad you like music with harsh vocals. Because I'm sure we all have very different tastes... I just think it would be the wiser if you didn't come on the boards and start throwing your weight around... especially when you have 2 posts...

Debates on this subject are obvious... so for everyone... IT'S A MATTER OF OPINION! RESPECT EVERYONES OPINION IF YOU WISH YOUR'S TO BE HEARD!

and Akira pretty much called that one!!

First of all, i really don't think the number of posts i made should affect my opinion, especially since this is my first day even signing up to this website anyway, second, i never said all the opinions expressed were ignorant, but i can't help thinking that it's ignorant to say that harsh vocals are crappy and were invented for people who aren't good at clean vocals. this is not factually correct at all and going on guitar sites posting threads about how crappy harsh vocals are is definetley "throwing your weight around" because you can't expect people to respectfully disagree to such an offensive criticism. and again it is more difficult to sing with harsh vocals even though it may sound pretty easy to growl a couple of words, screaming various songs full of harsh vocals is a lot more exhilarating and consists of straining the vocal chords a lot more. also, even though it may also sound "strange" or "crappy", harsh vocals are very important in expressing the lyrics in songs much more effectivley and the harshness of a vocalists vocals has a great effect on the effect a song has. imagine serious screamo or death metal songs sung with friendly, clean vocals, when the lyrics are full of hate, death, and pain? although it's not very mainstream (which is actually considered a good thing among true metalheads) it is nevertheless a very important way of singing with a better effect at the appropriate times and if you still don't like it, i'm not saying your not supposed to express your opinion but there's a difference between saying that you do not really like this style of singing, and saying that it is simply "crappy". this goes to all of the people who posted offensive and unreasonable posts on the topic.
# 18
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/24/2006 11:19 pm
Originally Posted by: dying2live_00and again it is more difficult to sing with harsh vocals even though it may sound pretty easy to growl a couple of words, screaming various songs full of harsh vocals is a lot more exhilarating and consists of straining the vocal chords a lot more.

Look, while (unlike most here) I actually like the growling asthetic, I do have to agree with them that it's a lot easier than "singing."

Both my brother and I can growl very well and yet can't sing a note.

It's like anything; some tasks and skills come easier to some people than they do to others. Also, while some use growling because it genuinely expresses the point they're trying to get across others use it as a crutch much like some guitarists shred because it's appropriate for the song while others do it as a means to hide the fact that their phrasing sucks.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 19
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/24/2006 11:23 pm
No one out right said they were crappy. they just said they don't like it. I prefer the screaming of Halford and Dio to todays stuff but some of todays artist do ok with it. I go to Ozzfest every year so I know what the scene is like for the one's who are making it. These guys are gonna blow thier voices within a few years though.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.