Rocksmith 2014

froggy62
froggy62
11/24/2013 6:25 pm
Anybody got any opoinions on this program for learning guitar, my son is busting my hump to buy this 4 him
# 1
compart1
compart1
11/24/2013 7:04 pm
I have it on PC.. .. I do have a video and audio problem I can't get straighten out..
So if you were to get it, I hope you have a Xbox or PS, or really good at computers.
I can't blame the software for the problem as I created it myself. I change audio and video setting with out recording where the setting were.
It will not make you a master, but it will make practice more fun. that my take on it so far..
Hope this helps.
# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/24/2013 7:20 pm
Five pages of discussion here; "Any one seen on TV...", http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40619&page=1&pp=7 . My own post #2 has two more links to GT threads about the older version.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
kurquhart1
kurquhart1
11/28/2013 5:27 pm
i had the old one and currently have the new one on xbox. the old one for me was a disaster, just lagged constantly. with the new one it is much better. when learning a song it will recommend you lessons based on your ability and the song your doing. i use a jackson artist series guitar with a floyd rose and tuning for the game is a pain which hppens alot. im not a huge fan of the song selection that comes with the game. my brother tried it out who has never touched guitar. within 15 minutes he was playing single notes up and down the fretboard and knew all the letters for the strings.

i have a newer tv and find it lags of the tv sound. when i turn on my audio receiver it is much better. i wish i had this game when i started!
# 4
Terranaut
Terranaut
11/29/2013 8:12 am
The ads I've seen feature songs (except for You Really Got Me by my beloved Kinks) I just don't even like much less want to play. I don't know how that works--do they have a choice of stuff to choose from? Because why I'm hear and messing with JamPlay and looking around for on-line instruction is I want to learn the music that inspired the rock I loved all my 58 year life. That's what my Brit heros did and now I get it so much more. I can play most rock stuff. I can't finger pich ragtime blues nor do I know all those cool bluegrass licks but playing that kind of stuff makes me happy and entertained. That rock stuff was light of a jay 25 years ago and go to town on my gear. Retro is where it's at for me. If that new technology addresses that too--and not just tab, I'd like to know and buy in. But I ain't paying to play no Aerosmitth or Van Halen.
# 5
Csay10
Full Access
Csay10
Full Access
11/29/2013 2:52 pm
Rocksmith is awesome! I think if I were beginning to play it would be great. Get it for your kids, gets them hooked easy.
# 6
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/29/2013 5:10 pm
Originally Posted by: TerranautThe ads I've seen feature songs (except for You Really Got Me by my beloved Kinks) I just don't even like much less want to play. I don't know how that works--do they have a choice of stuff to choose from? Because why I'm hear and messing with JamPlay and looking around for on-line instruction is I want to learn the music that inspired the rock I loved all my 58 year life. That's what my Brit heros did and now I get it so much more. I can play most rock stuff. I can't finger pich ragtime blues nor do I know all those cool bluegrass licks but playing that kind of stuff makes me happy and entertained. That rock stuff was light of a jay 25 years ago and go to town on my gear. Retro is where it's at for me. If that new technology addresses that too--and not just tab, I'd like to know and buy in. But I ain't paying to play no Aerosmitth or Van Halen.

From my casual look at Rocksmith I think you have a valid point. Certainly anyone who thinks GT's song list is limited will probably be disappointed with Rocksmith.

Their website lists songs included with the 2014 game and the genres are Classic Rock, Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock, Garage Rock, Instrumental Rock, Metal, Grunge, Punk, Pop Punk and Indie (lots of Indie). More songs are available for paid download but they seem to fit in those genres as well. What is clear is that the first two, maybe the first three decades of Rock & Roll, no matter what genre, are pretty much ignored...along with all the other genres not represented.

That's OK if that's your thing or if your age slants you that way. But if learning songs from Rocksmith is a main attraction to the game then one should be aware of the slant.

Maybe what we need is a 'young' Rocksmith and an 'old' Rocksmith. :D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 7
compart1
compart1
11/29/2013 9:24 pm
This is a list of the songs available to purchase.

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-us/music/

There are a few from the late 60s

My assessment of guitarsmith is still out until I get the audio in lessons straighten out.
# 8
Terranaut
Terranaut
11/29/2013 9:44 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTFrom my casual look at Rocksmith I think you have a valid point. Certainly anyone who thinks GT's song list is limited will probably be disappointed with Rocksmith.

Their website lists songs included with the 2014 game and the genres are Classic Rock, Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock, Garage Rock, Instrumental Rock, Metal, Grunge, Punk, Pop Punk and Indie (lots of Indie). More songs are available for paid download but they seem to fit in those genres as well. What is clear is that the first two, maybe the first three decades of Rock & Roll, no matter what genre, are pretty much ignored...along with all the other genres not represented.

That's OK if that's your thing or if your age slants you that way. But if learning songs from Rocksmith is a main attraction to the game then one should be aware of the slant.

Maybe what we need is a 'young' Rocksmith and an 'old' Rocksmith. :D

Thanks. That's helpful. I'm glad I was born when I was to experience those first waves where it all had to be invented and the belief was it had to be good to be successful. Then Led Zeppelin proved otherwise. Hahaha. And it's been all downhill from there (except for the bright lights of the "new wave"--i.e. The Clash, XTC, TAlking Heads, Elvis Costello, The Police et al). I like some of Nirvana and Oasis and love most of Alanis Morissette but the last 20 years were nothing like the 20 before that when I was "of age".
# 9
mblaide
mblaide
11/30/2013 3:36 am
I picked up Bandfuse: Rock Legends. Pretty fun so far. I never really liked Rocksmith's note highway because it doesn't translate to the real world. I use tabs for learning songs and Bandfuse uses scrolling tabs, so there was no real learning curve. The notes have different colors which represent the recommended finger to use: green = pointer, red = middle, yellow = ring, blue - pinky. You can slow songs down, loop hard parts, etc.
Comes with 55 songs and DLC will be available in December or January. I heard Hendrix will be included.
I like that it plays videos during the song and you can connect up to 2 guitars, a bass, and a mic all playing together. I only have the single guitar version but when I can get another cable I will play along with my son.

I battled lag with the original Rocksmith. Never tried the 2014 version. I play Bandfuse on the PS3 and use my surround sound system for audio. No lag.

I gave up on guitar video games until Bandfuse came out, which was released like 10 days ago.
# 10
Slipin Lizard
Slipin Lizard
11/30/2013 4:33 am
I'd love to hear from users of either Rocksmith or Bandfuse how they feel its helping their playing.... Watching some of the demo videos, I'm wonder how playing and advancing in the game works out in terms of being able to play the songs outside the game... do you get to a point where you could accurately play a song either by yourself or with another band? Are there other benefits, such as getting ideas for your own songs? Do you find your over-all skill level dramatically improving as you continue in the game? I think these games are a great idea IF they lead to actually playing the guitar away from the game. Otherwise I'd be skeptical that they're really more like Guitar Hero with a real guitar.
# 11
mblaide
mblaide
11/30/2013 4:54 am
Slipin Lizard, one thing I found from playing these games is that it makes you learn where the frets and strings are without looking down at your guitar. So in bandfuse the tab scrolls from right to left and on faster songs or more complex parts that I don't have memorized, I need to look at the TV screen most of the time and only occasionally glance down at the fretboard to make sure I'm moving to the right fret.
Another great thing is that I hated practicing with a metronome or sometimes using backing tracks got boring. I love being able to play along with a real song. Not only does it teach me how to play in time with other musicians, it also motivates me to play way more than I did before.
Lastly, when I would sit around and try to learn a song I would always go off on tangents after a while(I think we've all done this!) and loose focus. With the game going I stay totally focused on playing the music, because I'm trying to beat my precious high score. Or like in the Lick Lab, you pick a part of the song to learn and it starts it slowly and speeds it up as you play it accurately, and eventually it makes you play it 5 times at 100% speed before you can move. You need to be like 85% or 90% accurate for it to count. You can't just go off noodling around when it's having you play something for the 4th time in a row! Keeps me focused on the song!
# 12
compart1
compart1
12/02/2013 10:49 pm
After many frustrating hour trying to get Guitarsmith to logged BACK_IN. I finally did. I immediately head to the Lessons where I had encountered the audio video problem. To no avail.
Every time I tried to do configuration or tuning it said the cable was disconnected. I tried all the usb ports (3). Made sure adapter
stay tight with a piece of tape. I sent the thing back for full refund.
I might go with an xbox or play station after more research.
Now to get sign back up with GuitarTricks.
# 13
slimdr
slimdr
12/03/2013 1:54 am
I have both versions on xBox360. 2014 doesn't work well with a picked up acoustic. I even called Ubisoft about this, and they agreed it takes too much time for tone rattle through guitar to the pickup and then the game.

I got an electric guitar and that works much better. 2013 was OK with an acoustic guitar.

2014 has a very sensitive tuner, but is helpful.

Overall it teaches moving through songs, what tones to play on which strings and frets. You have no idea what note you are playing. It does teach us chords blocks though.

It really is teaching rhythm, and once reached in Master mode, songs from memory. Without reaching master mode you wouldn't be able to the songs with out the game.

This all being said, the interface with the game is very good at raising and lowering game play to the person's ability. It makes learning to play the guitar fun.

BUT depending on your participants interest - there is no substitute for GTs information, training and music, so one can pickup and play music not by ear but as it is written.

Hope this helps. Both are very fun, but I think one will go much further toward an all around player with Guitar Tricks.

One man's opinion
# 14
divemaster2
divemaster2
12/10/2013 4:18 pm
Just a quick note for those of you wanting this for pc. When you set RS2014 up you need to go into your Audio properties and dedicate an Audio channel for it. This will stop the lag. Also make sure you have no other USB devices attached, this confuses RS into thinking you have a number of Guitars connected. If you have spare cash, you could also invest in decent sound card and turn into an Amp.
# 15
richnj49
richnj49
12/12/2013 8:54 pm
Originally Posted by: froggy62Anybody got any opoinions on this program for learning guitar, my son is busting my hump to buy this 4 him

I have both version rs1 and 2014, Excellent learning tool If you want to be a hard rocker. Got me started playing guitar again but its not my style of music. But its a BLAST to play.
# 16
hmmike
hmmike
12/20/2013 6:38 pm
I'm 65 years old and have been playing guitar for almost 4 years now. I saw some ads for RS 2014 and took a chance. I personally think it's miracle software. There are many things to do .. Learn a Song, Play Learning Games, multiplayer option, Jam Session, Lessons ... etc. I have three profiles.. Lead, Rhythm, and Bass. I typically start with rhythm and attack 4 or 5 songs that I have been working on, then do lead, then bass - rinse, repeat. Of course, I also take the time to visit Guitar Tricks and and attack the songs and lessons there. Nothing is better than a session with Anders!!

RS lets you slow down a song (or any part of it), and decrease or increase its difficulty level. RS will automatically increase the difficulty as it senses your progress.

I will never play in a band, doubtful that I will even ever play with another human. There is just something about RS that makes me feel like I am actually playing with a band and for some reason I can actually hear how what I am playing fits into the song. By scoring your achievements, it shows you how sloppy you really are!

Yes, there are flaws with the simulation (RS is not a game!) that I wish they would fix; but all in all, for me, I am having the most fun that I have had since I started playing a guitar. Imagine a 65 year old man head banging to Iron Maiden's Trooper!!!!
# 17
maggior
maggior
12/20/2013 6:51 pm
That's awesome hmmike! I can only hope that when I'm 65 I can still head bang to Maiden's The Trooper.

There is nothing like playing with others whether it be in a band, with a singer, or helping back up a choir. There's something about locking into the groove and hearing and feeling your contribution to the sound. It sounds like this "game" simulates that pretty well.

I have other irons on the fire...guitar tricks being one of them. This game RS14 is definitely on my radar if I find I need help out of rut.

Rock On!! \m/
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.