View post (Rocksmith 2014)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/29/2013 5:10 pm
Originally Posted by: TerranautThe ads I've seen feature songs (except for You Really Got Me by my beloved Kinks) I just don't even like much less want to play. I don't know how that works--do they have a choice of stuff to choose from? Because why I'm hear and messing with JamPlay and looking around for on-line instruction is I want to learn the music that inspired the rock I loved all my 58 year life. That's what my Brit heros did and now I get it so much more. I can play most rock stuff. I can't finger pich ragtime blues nor do I know all those cool bluegrass licks but playing that kind of stuff makes me happy and entertained. That rock stuff was light of a jay 25 years ago and go to town on my gear. Retro is where it's at for me. If that new technology addresses that too--and not just tab, I'd like to know and buy in. But I ain't paying to play no Aerosmitth or Van Halen.

From my casual look at Rocksmith I think you have a valid point. Certainly anyone who thinks GT's song list is limited will probably be disappointed with Rocksmith.

Their website lists songs included with the 2014 game and the genres are Classic Rock, Rock, Hard Rock, Alternative Rock, Garage Rock, Instrumental Rock, Metal, Grunge, Punk, Pop Punk and Indie (lots of Indie). More songs are available for paid download but they seem to fit in those genres as well. What is clear is that the first two, maybe the first three decades of Rock & Roll, no matter what genre, are pretty much ignored...along with all the other genres not represented.

That's OK if that's your thing or if your age slants you that way. But if learning songs from Rocksmith is a main attraction to the game then one should be aware of the slant.

Maybe what we need is a 'young' Rocksmith and an 'old' Rocksmith. :D
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins