Drifting...

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/23/2007 8:18 pm
Well, for the past 2 years I've been a natural resources conservation major and I will have an Associates in that in May. (assuming I don't majorly f up.) So now I'm going to move onto bigger and better things, but this time, I'm going for music. Save me the crap of "don't study music" and such, because I don't wanna hear that nor do I care. But I believe that once I finish my bachelors or perhaps masters depending on which path I take, I'm gonna end up doing some aimless drifting and going wherever music may happen to take me. I'm probably gonna be looking at a life of a 9-5 job and then hopefully playing gigs at night and try to gain some recognition. Maybe I'll do lessons. Maybe I'll open a business...

I don't know. Anybody ever feel you were on the path to nowhere, but didn't care? Thats how I feel now. I'm not upset at all that I'm not gonna be able to walk out of college and get some salaried job right off the bat. Probably see some cool stuff along the way and get to play music pretty often.

I guess my main goals are to be able to make ends meet and hopefully get some gigs. Thats what I'd like to do. Whereve that may take me, who knows.

I'm just rambling now, but its funny, every single passion I've had people have told me not to do it because it sucks or you won't make a lot of money doing it. Frankly, I don't care anymore so I'm gonna do what I want to do.

Thoughts or anything to add? Think I'm makin a mistake? I don't know where I'm headed in life, but I know what I like. So thats what I'm gonna do I guess....
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/23/2007 8:48 pm
You may not be successful, but at least you'll enjoy yourself. You might as well.
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/23/2007 9:11 pm
Originally Posted by: grizzlymint
Anybody ever feel you were on the path to nowhere, but didn't care? ..

Dude, I'm with you. It's miserably tough to make a living in the arts but you gotta be true to what you want and who you are. Nothing else really matters. So you might have to do the 9-5 joe job to get by but that's not how you identify yourself. I've always said that I don't live to work, I work to afford my life.... :D
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/23/2007 9:38 pm
Buddy...sounds I like the way you think.

Sounds like you'll be a happy man. Go for the music thing, and do what you want.

I think even if you eventually regret this choice, its a better than doing something you hate, regretting not doing this, and wanting to kill yourself every day.

Go for it dude...then again, what do i know-I haven't even started my life.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 4
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/23/2007 10:29 pm
Thanks guys. You said exactly what I wanted to hear. Nothing else does matter. We're musicians. Its what we do. So Thats what I'm gonna do.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 5

03/24/2007 12:57 am
If I take my life as an example... I studied in administration, I have a 9 to 5 job ( actually 8:30 to 5 but that's not the point lol ) that pays the bills and more.

Then one day I decided to teach what I had learn in my many years of guitar playing, that's when I found guitartricks. I saw an opportunity of actually teaching at my own rate, when my day job made it possible.

You see, my dream would have been to make a living off music... but I'm way to financially insecure to make that kinda jump. So I got a job that gives me the possibility of not caring about what I do in my spare time lol

So I can spend a full weekend making music, making lessons, going to jam with friends ... I don't have to worry because I have my day job.

The only advice I can give you is never forget that your day job makes it possible to do all the cool music stuff at work. So if at some point your day job gets screwed up because you over did it on the jammin ... that will compromise your liberty to do it for a long time. It's a question of balance, like any other thing in life.

Many times I been told I had no will to succeed by people at work, that I could really move up in the company because I had what it took but didn't put in the time to be successful ... that's when I make a cool little smile and say "maybe, but then again you don't know jack about creating a song ... does that make you unsuccessful as a person?"

You see, I do my job well. I do it to the best of my abilities and try to push myself once in a while to grow as a person, to push my own limits. I do this at work and I do it in music. I believe that what makes me happy in life. If I would be take a job that would take too much of my music I'd be miserable. You really have to find a balance and that will take some time.. maybe a few years.

Just try a few jobs when you get out of school, find the one that has more good side then bad, then work on balancing everything out.

And for the record, a lot of people that are not musician will get you man. They'll think you're blowing your life away .... but they are not musicians :)

I think you have the right approach of having a secure financial life and wanting to pursue your musical life to the fullest. I really hope you find that balance.
# 6
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/24/2007 1:28 am
Thanks Benoit. You're doing exactly what I'd like to someday, or start off with anyways. In a fantasy world, I'd like to one day make a living off of music. Fantasy, but why not me? Who knows....anything can happen. I think I'll just be persistent, and whatever happens along the way, take it in stride. But thats what music is all about. Uncertainties and working to get recognized.

"Its a long way to the top, if you wanna rock n roll."
# 7
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/24/2007 8:20 am
More power to you, dude - careers are overrated if you ask me, anyway :D. And I expect I'll be in the same situation as you in two years' time.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 8
dvenetian
dvenetian
03/24/2007 10:21 am
It's strange, I got a totally different vibe from your initial post compared to how other members responded. I gathered that you are dissatisfied or unsure of what opportunities your current Major may or may not bring ( the dreaded 9 to 5 crammed in a cubicle syndrome). Music on the other hand could possibly bring freedom to express yourself, recognition and creative opportunities that your current major couldn't offer, but then your rational mind sets in with uncertainty (hence, the drifter), knowing the chances in making a living from music is tough (the dreaded shuffling through trash cans for some dinner syndrome). The bottom line is soon you will have a degree from which you can build on, whatever it may be and that is a strong step in the right direction my friend. Life will always have it's ups and downs. How you deal with them is what sets up your quality of life.
Music is a passion of mine, although, I never thought of trying to make a living from it. I do receive a petty royalty check every year from some studio work I did in the early 90's, and to think, I did it for fun.
I believe that you can have more than one passion in life for whatever it is that drives you. Mine is the Business I started in 1993 which entails the Manufacturing and Nationwide distribution of some products I invented. In the third quarter of 2004 we began sprinkling some products Internationally with projections for Worldwide Distribution by mid-2008.
It's a lot of hard work, but I enjoy it. The best part is that I have 3 guitars in my office to jam on and a rehearsal studio in the main warehouse when it's time to crank up the Marshall's for some Hangar 18!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my Sales Managers rips it up with me. Fun times............
Only you can decide what's right for you. Do your part and the rest of the team will do their part. In other words, if drifting for a while is your decision, you will have a team of drifters. Throw a non-drifter on the team and they will go against the grain, if you get my drift....... I say, Go For IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 9
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/24/2007 5:12 pm
*slits Akira's throat*

Thanks guys, seems pretty much everyone here would be behind me on this decision, so I believe thats what I'm gonna go for.
# 10
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/24/2007 5:18 pm
I personally wouldn't study music in university, just because I think it would suck all the fun out of it for me. But like I said, if it's something you want to do, by all means do it.
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/24/2007 7:08 pm
I earn a good dollar at my day job, and I can leave it behind at the end of the day.

Nobody pays my rent for the priveledge of hearing my music, but I still love to play.

I have gear now that I could only dream about when I was playing for pay.

I made my choice when I was 19, and my latest band had broken up. I was good, but probably never going to be great, and I knew so many really good players who were just barely staying alive. Bottom line was that I was not willing to risk starving for my art. No regrets.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/24/2007 8:24 pm
GOD forbid,(no offense MR Lord). that ones passion, in this case, music become work...i stopped playing the guitar for 15 years because it had gotten to the point of being work
# 13
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/24/2007 8:53 pm
Right on with trying to study music. The major isn't for everyone though, I know this for personal experience for sure. But I also know a lot of music majors who love it and wouldn't study anything else. They don't really care that all the hours of work they put in to being a music major probably won't pay off in the end, I definitely wasn't one of those people. Atleast you won't look back and have any regrets (as cliche as that is).

Best of luck. :)

# 14
ren
ren
03/24/2007 10:12 pm
Hope it pans out for you man... I didn't do a degree, but I studied music for years and got alot out of it. I had a 9-5 job for a while, but I got lucky and now I play & teach instead. I only work if I need some extra cash...

No regrets...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 15
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/24/2007 10:25 pm
Yeah Griz, I am a firm believer in chasing the things that you want. There is nothing sadder than someone looking back with regrets later in life. You said it right in one of your earlier posts 'why not me'? I agree. There is no reason in the world 'why not' you. It seems when you talk to (or read about) people who achieved their dreams, they all share one commonality; belief. They have all held an unfailing belief in themselves and what they wanted to accomplish.

I have walked away from the things that I believed in over the course of my life many times, traded in a lot of dreams, for the security of a regular job and benefits. For the most part, I don't regret it. But there will always be that nagging voice in the back of my head that wonders 'what if'. That's a question I can't answer. (and don't believe for a second about job security in an office setting either - I have been laid off so many freakin' times, it's not funny)

The point to this rambling is this; trust and believe in yourself and ask yourself this one question. Are you willing to do whatever is neccessary to get to the place you want to be? Chase your dreams, you'll be much more satisfied if you do regardless of the outcome. And make 'why not me?' your rally cry.

Now, all I have to do is make my own course correction. I am a little tired of not living the life I feel I should. I'm the only one who can change that. Right?
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 16
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/25/2007 7:15 am
True dat hunter. I mean, my take on it would be this: Society wants us to go through school and learn all we can to grow up and be "successful" in one form or another. Typically they wouldn't deem successful as chasing dreams because theres usually hardship leading up to that, or all the way through it in some or most cases. Life is short. I'm not willing to spend it preparing for the next phase, such as financial stability through adulthood and retirement. I mean, financial stability is a major plus, but I'm a work to live not a live to work kinda guy. I'm not willing to spend it preparing for what is to come. As a good friend I was recently talking to put it, "some people can only write a few sentences about their life when its all said and done, but others could write a novel." I'd like to write a novel. So what if its tough getting there. I won't ever have the "what ifs" to look back on, regardless of whether I make it or not.

About time I started getting driven in my life to make my mark. So I believe this is my calling. And thats what I'm gonna do.
# 17
dvenetian
dvenetian
03/25/2007 7:42 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60

Now, all I have to do is make my own course correction. I am a little tired of not living the life I feel I should. I'm the only one who can change that. Right?

100%..........................(that is, unless you have a Leprechaun in your pocket).
# 18
polansky
polansky
03/27/2007 7:37 am
Bro... seems you are having a lot of changes and tuff calls latelly huh? I remenber you stopped chewing some time ago... and now the allways present question of art vs. dayjob.

When I was a kid drummer I ejoyed every second of it... music did that... now I have a dayjob that takes most of my day... but at the end I guess we have certain level of responsabilities that makes you take one way or another.

My advice is... let me say that again... my point of view is search for balance, dayjob is just that.. sure bucks to live... music... it makes you feel complete, period. So... my perception of dayjob is that it is a "way" not and "end" for things... if you wanna make a living of music... go for it, but life is never black and white Bro... maybe you could get the best of both worlds.

As I said... the keyword on this is Balance... sometimes a dayjob (even maybe part time ones) can help you a lot to achive your artistic goals...a few extra bucks never hurted anyone... but if you manage to make aliving out of music... if you think you can make it...bro then go and get it an prove everyone who told you otherwise wrong.

Keep the faith and Rock on....
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 19
quickfingers
quickfingers
03/27/2007 8:53 am
:)

good for you, grizzly. ive been running the same questions through my head for a year or so. only recently had i become unsure of my desicion to be a music major. im only 18 and i still have alot to learn, but i see no regrets in studying music. lets put it this way. if i only studied music so i could have the personal knowledge and the degree on the wall, i would still do it.

your life doesnt end after 4 years of college or whatever. im sure youre realizing that now, and thats awesome. and again...i have confidence in myself, as a teacher, as a helper, as a communicator...that i can make some kind of living doing what i want to do. will it be easy? doubtful. but honestly, neither is alot of life. of course its easier to figure this stuff out when you dont have a car payment, rent, and a girlfriend, but you always have that ability to learn what you love.

the origional drummer of pearl jam taught my guitar class one time, and he inspired me almost instantly to study music. he laid it out for me. he told me about the fear of moving to random towns looking for work not knowing if you where going to be able to find it. not knowing where your paycheck was going to come from at first. its scary. but i dont know...i want to feel like i at least tried to live before i give up and find a desk job. :rolleyes:
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.