View post (Drifting...)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
03/24/2007 10:21 am
It's strange, I got a totally different vibe from your initial post compared to how other members responded. I gathered that you are dissatisfied or unsure of what opportunities your current Major may or may not bring ( the dreaded 9 to 5 crammed in a cubicle syndrome). Music on the other hand could possibly bring freedom to express yourself, recognition and creative opportunities that your current major couldn't offer, but then your rational mind sets in with uncertainty (hence, the drifter), knowing the chances in making a living from music is tough (the dreaded shuffling through trash cans for some dinner syndrome). The bottom line is soon you will have a degree from which you can build on, whatever it may be and that is a strong step in the right direction my friend. Life will always have it's ups and downs. How you deal with them is what sets up your quality of life.
Music is a passion of mine, although, I never thought of trying to make a living from it. I do receive a petty royalty check every year from some studio work I did in the early 90's, and to think, I did it for fun.
I believe that you can have more than one passion in life for whatever it is that drives you. Mine is the Business I started in 1993 which entails the Manufacturing and Nationwide distribution of some products I invented. In the third quarter of 2004 we began sprinkling some products Internationally with projections for Worldwide Distribution by mid-2008.
It's a lot of hard work, but I enjoy it. The best part is that I have 3 guitars in my office to jam on and a rehearsal studio in the main warehouse when it's time to crank up the Marshall's for some Hangar 18!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my Sales Managers rips it up with me. Fun times............
Only you can decide what's right for you. Do your part and the rest of the team will do their part. In other words, if drifting for a while is your decision, you will have a team of drifters. Throw a non-drifter on the team and they will go against the grain, if you get my drift....... I say, Go For IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!