Cobain v.s. Hendrix

mareva90
mareva90
08/01/2005 7:53 am
it is not about skill, creativity or who's better. if that's the question, we're just wasting our time discussing it. of coz hendrix

revolution- may be!! becAUSE cobain's music is plain and simple. so easy to jam. not to complicated and its catchy

at the time nirvana released the first single, rock is dying. gun n roses was down in a hole. we got to many nkotb clone that time. more ice-ice baby and hammer time and sadly rock n roll is dead at that time.

it is about reincarnation, revolution from dead to alive. from pop to seatle scene, grunge and the hype.

but.... sadly its happen after the suicide, after the released of nirvana unplugged in new york not at the time 'bleach' was released :cool:

lastly the real question is whose death revolutionized more to the survival of rock scene and music.
# 1
niccar113
niccar113
08/01/2005 1:08 pm
Jam-off!!! Let's bring back the souls of Cobain and Hendrix and see who's better! Hmmm... that's a tough one... Hendrix of course if it wasn't for him rock n' roll wouldn't be half of what it is today. Cobain's cool, I liked him better as a person than hendrix, but Jimmy's guitar playing changed the world.
Pleasure.
# 2
niccar113
niccar113
08/01/2005 1:09 pm
I mis-spelled jimi... my bad
Pleasure.
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
08/01/2005 2:39 pm
Originally Posted by: mareva90it is not about skill, creativity or who's better. if that's the question, we're just wasting our time discussing it. of coz hendrix

revolution- may be!! becAUSE cobain's music is plain and simple. so easy to jam. not to complicated and its catchy

at the time nirvana released the first single, rock is dying. gun n roses was down in a hole. we got to many nkotb clone that time. more ice-ice baby and hammer time and sadly rock n roll is dead at that time.

it is about reincarnation, revolution from dead to alive. from pop to seatle scene, grunge and the hype.

but.... sadly its happen after the suicide, after the released of nirvana unplugged in new york not at the time 'bleach' was released :cool:

lastly the real question is whose death revolutionized more to the survival of rock scene and music.

Okay... well it's not whos' death influenced rock more... it's they're music... Cobain's suicide may have been influencial... but in the most negative way possible. He said to millions of his fans that it's okay to give up. It's okay to give in... and dying can be better than living. Which is the absolute worst thing anybody can do as a role model... Jimi didn't give up... his time came.
# 4
Rooz
Rooz
08/01/2005 4:35 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanOkay... well it's not whos' death influenced rock more... it's they're music... Cobain's suicide may have been influencial... but in the most negative way possible. He said to millions of his fans that it's okay to give up. It's okay to give in... and dying can be better than living. Which is the absolute worst thing anybody can do as a role model... Jimi didn't give up... his time came.

His time didnt come. You say it like he wasnt to blame. The guy took loads of drugs!, they all did. It was the time, but you cant say that they're good role models. Kobain as you said was a terrible role model, but jimi was no better. Took some drugs, shagged some ladies, made some music (genius, no one better EVER. he's god) then died.
# 5
Re2point0
Re2point0
08/01/2005 6:46 pm
i think hendrix brought out the idea of creating an origional sound and making it big without doing what everyone else was. Cobaine also created an origional idea then there was at the time so that people had an alternative than hip hop and dance music.

i just think that hendrix and cobain both are amazing musicians and they should'nt be getting compared. unless we are talking most talented on guitar, then we can all say hendrix but cobains goal wasnt to become the best guitarist, he wanted to make music people would listen to. personally I've heard more cobain songs on radio than hendrix when cobain came out, and your still hearing tons of nirvana today so oh well...hahaha
# 6
Micreef333
Micreef333
08/07/2005 5:26 pm
There never has and never will be anyone as good, with as much feeling as Hendrix. No one can even play one of his songs even sub-par, except Stevie Ray, but it's still not the same. :mad:
[FONT=Times New Roman]
:cool:REEF :cool:
[/FONT][CODE]
# 7
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
08/07/2005 7:09 pm
It's all about Chuck Berry. 'nuff said.
# 8
RedZep
RedZep
08/09/2005 1:21 am
Originally Posted by: JFRICKNah man, I'm 28. I was in high school when Nirvana came out. I didn't like Kurt then either. His music is just plain boring to me. I think one of the main reason's kids like Nirvana so much is that they are the simplest songs for a beginner to learn.

Sorry if I sounded harsh in saying "what a joke", but the real joke is that he's actually considered a guitar hero by many. I just don't get it, but opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink....

Having never listened to Nirvana past the first song, I will go ahead and say Jimi. (DUHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) They are simple songs, but I'll never learn them, even if my friends aks me to. Screw that, I play the music I WANT to play, not what is easy. Being a "kid" I feel I have the right to express my opinion on that.

This is freaking silly. In the end "The Beatles" take the crown for most "revolutionary" band ever, and without The Beatles or Bob Dylan, where would Jimi Hendrix have come from? Where would Led Zeppelin have come from without those three? Where would have AC/DC come from without those four?

This is a retarded argument.

That's all I have to say,

RedZep
# 9
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/09/2005 3:17 pm
Originally Posted by: RedZepHaving never listened to Nirvana past the first song, I will go ahead and say Jimi. (DUHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) They are simple songs, but I'll never learn them, even if my friends aks me to. Screw that, I play the music I WANT to play, not what is easy. Being a "kid" I feel I have the right to express my opinion on that.

This is freaking silly. In the end "The Beatles" take the crown for most "revolutionary" band ever, and without The Beatles or Bob Dylan, where would Jimi Hendrix have come from? Where would Led Zeppelin have come from without those three? Where would have AC/DC come from without those four?

This is a retarded argument.

That's all I have to say,

RedZep

Perhaps. But Hendrix would still be doing what he was doing without the Beatles. He wouldn't have been as successful, but he was influenced more by the blues guys than the Beatles.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 10
Lohrtar
Full Access
Lohrtar
Full Access
08/09/2005 5:14 pm
Rolling Stones made a top 100 guitarist list where Kurt Cobain was #12... Jimi Hendrix was, obviously, #1
Are you calling Homer Simpson a liar?
Well we have attained a footage of him with his pants on fire...
# 11
fingertricks
fingertricks
08/09/2005 6:11 pm
Originally Posted by: RedZepHaving never listened to Nirvana past the first song, I will go ahead and say Jimi.
RedZep

DUDE, if you have never listened to more then one song then your comments are meaningless to this thread.

The thread lives! :rolleyes:
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/09/2005 6:22 pm
Originally Posted by: LohrtarRolling Stones made a top 100 guitarist list where Kurt Cobain was #12... Jimi Hendrix was, obviously, #1

Rolling Stone has never been right about anything.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 13
dakine80
dakine80
08/10/2005 1:39 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonRolling Stone has never been right about anything.

Rolling Stone is such a joke. Jimi is arguably #1, but the rest of the list made me cringe. I've never bought a Rolling Stone mag and never will. They just try to appeal to middle-aged non-musicians of whom don't know the difference between guitar players and think that they're enlightening them by letting them know that, apparently, Duane Allman was the most over-looked and under-rated guitarist of all-time. He was good, yeah, but #2?!

Give me a break.
# 14
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
08/10/2005 4:34 pm
screw rolling stone!!! that guitar list was crap!!! Kurt cobain cant play guitar worth crap!!!! He was rated higher than van halen, angus young and a bunch of other great guitarist! ROLLING STONE SUCKS!!!!!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/10/2005 4:43 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]But how do you really feel?[/font] :rolleyes:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
08/10/2005 8:01 pm
Originally Posted by: RedZepWhere would Led Zeppelin have come from without those three?

the blues artists jimmy page ripped off. the beatles and hendrix were of little consequence to led zeppelin.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 17
yugoslavianpunk
yugoslavianpunk
08/11/2005 3:39 am
Curtis Kobanis (As those in ancient greece called him)
Is an inspiration to me.....my family.....and my fathaaar.

I dont know where this Jimmi fella is or who the hell he thinks he is but i wont stand for it any longer.

I often find myself amidst a dream of Curtis and how life would be if the lord allowed us to be together allways. I think to myself "God. What would it be like to share a meal, or even a potty....with Curtis. I want to love like everyone else is. I just want to loveee ooooOOOOOOOO. I wana flyyyyyyy... I want his children end of story. Am I male yes. I want him. I want his genious licks on my belly button. Am I an outie yes? no? does it matter? Ill leave it open to the chatroom.

That will give us another topic either then Koban and Hendrix.

Bless the lord.
-yugo punk
# 18
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/11/2005 3:56 am
Originally Posted by: yugoslavianpunkCurtis Kobanis (As those in ancient greece called him)
Is an inspiration to me.....my family.....and my fathaaar...

[font=trebuchet ms]I offer my condolences and my best wishes for your imminent recovery.[/font] :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 19
mrnizzler
mrnizzler
08/11/2005 3:09 pm
Kurt Cobain didnt even reall do anything but snort a lot of coke. Hendrix wasnt the best guitarist of all time, in my eyes he was second S.R.V. was the best guitarist of all time. Hendrix was more revolutionary because he actually started something, Cobain was just following what the Ramones and The Sex Pistols had already created, but 1990's style pissed off grunge. I also think that Hendrix was more innovative than a revolutionist, he never really called out of any revolts or anything. Now RATM that was a band going for a revolution... :)
Soul before speed... :)
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.