Cobain v.s. Hendrix

DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
02/08/2005 2:11 am
Music to me depends on mood more then anything, personally i rather listen to some hip-hop before a basketball game, or maybe a little soul to get relaxed before a lacrosse game. Or maybe some metal when I'm working out.

I'm not a person who is regularly in the "mood" to listen to Nirvana, which I feel is a little bit depressing, and mysterious. I always have a feeling that there is some sort of twisted thought behind the words of Cobain.

Hendrix on the other hand, is just so chill and awesome.

So prefribaley (Spelling???), i'd rather listen to Hendrix.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 1
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
02/08/2005 3:26 am
In regards to Pantalica, I do not believe that These Vs. threads are nonsense. These "objective comments" are peoples opinions, without opinions and objective conversations, this world would be very boring. The truth is, is that this whole world is based on opinion and objective conversation. Competition is the human nature, and it's threads like this that keep that competition going.

But I do agree on the fact, that competition should not lead to the putting down of peoples likes or dislikes.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 2
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
02/08/2005 6:03 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovI have not heard a single Puddle of Mudd song that didn't have numerous elements borrowed directly from Nirvana.

They may be an extreme example, but if you know what to listen for, the signs are everywhere -- even if it's nothing more than a songwriter or band stopping to ask himself/herself/themselves "should there even be a solo here? Does it really add anything of value to the song?"

Yeah, but Hip-Hop isn't exactly known for guitar playing of any kind.

Mtv is not about hip hop only.. P.O.D, for example is an mtv band as well. Besides, there's also mtv2 which is rock/alt rock mostly.
Anyway, yeah now when i think about it the death of the lead guitar is a kind of influence as well, so i guess nirvana is an ifluental band although i really do dislike them.
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 3
Moniek
Moniek
02/09/2005 10:06 am
I realy vote for Cobain..Hendrix is good, but Cobain is better :cool:
[FONT=Arial Black]:D GirlPower! :D[/FONT]
# 4
Xinoby
Xinoby
03/28/2005 2:02 pm
Cobais is the best musician ever!!! don't say that things about he. :mad: NIRVANA 4EVER

{editor's note: no name-calling! Please read the rules.}
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
03/28/2005 5:23 pm
Originally Posted by: XinobyCobais is the best musician ever!!! don't say that things about he. :mad: NIRVANA 4EVER

Actually, I think that title probably belongs to Franz Liszt, but that's debateable, especially with Rachmaninov...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/28/2005 5:42 pm
This is a joke right? I seriously can't believe this. Cobaine was lucky to stay in tune. All of Cobaine's guitar breaking antics? Yeah, Hendrix did that first. The drugs? Hendrix beat him to it. The fan base? Well, classic rock has its own radio station nowadays, does grunge rock have one? No, it shares it with nu-rock. Seriously dude, this post has to be intended to get people talking. I've seen loads of people, be it friends or celebrities that spoke up in an interview, cite Hendrix alone as a big influence and so forth. You know how many I've heard cite Cobaine? One guy I used to work with.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 7
TheWizard
TheWizard
04/02/2005 11:57 pm
Hendrix revolutionized guitar playing, and more specificaly blues guitar

Cobain didn't revolutionize as much as he angrily responded to the current state of popular music

Cobain's genius was in his way to satirize and use irony to piss people and make them think at the same time

he also was able to come up with simple songs that compilemented his very melodic/complex melodies

Cobain also, unfortunatly inspired a generation of whinny bitches who think their life is so hard and no one understands them and they are so tragicaly beat down by society etc. bull**** etc. bull**** etc...

when i first looked at this post I thought how stupid it was, but once i started thinking about it I find it hard not to think that Cobain did, in fact, have a bigger influence on popular music than Hendrix, whose influence didn't go much beyond guitar playing
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 8
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
04/07/2005 10:50 pm
Silly stuff going on here. Influential, revolutionary, inspirational, emotional...however you phrase it Hendrix is uncomparable. Take away the fact that Hendrix had chops, he could sit on one note bending and feedbacking into new notes. Before him nobody played that loud, and he's probably still the master of feedback control (hell he practically invented tasteful use of feedback...that's revolutionary). Where would Marshall and all stadium rockers be today? Watching Jimi live you can see he's almost always mouthing his guitar notes (when he's not singing of course), a clue that his guitar is just an extension of himself and his emotion. That's the ultimate goal right?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 9
lesismore14
lesismore14
04/09/2005 6:15 pm
Jimi Hendrix was most definately the most revolutionary. He was way ahead of his time, these days, there are plenty of people that can play close to him, but he was the one who started a lot of it. Cobain was good, but he wasn't anything new, it wasn't something that people haven't seen before.
[FONT=palatino linotype]Lesismore[/FONT]
# 10
AIC
AIC
04/09/2005 9:28 pm
Who was most revolutionay? It is hard to say as they both had huge impact to the music industry weather you like it or not.

Saying that Jimi hendrix made better songs is complete ********! Noone can judge which songs are super and not, its a matter of taste and therefore an individual thing.

Hendrix created music that was difficult to play and that was highly 'advanced' - Cobaine created music with atmosphere

You will be able to see both elements in modern music but for the recolutionary part it all depends on the person affected - they affected different groups and I find it hard to compare inpact when it is spread over a wide area.

cheers
# 11
Re2point0
Re2point0
04/10/2005 2:59 am
I liked both, but at different times.

When I first started out on guitar I really liked cobain. The reason is obvious, his stuff is easy to play. Once I started getting better I moved on to Alice in chains,and sound garden. There stuff was a little more complicated but was still a grungy feeling. Once I surpassed that I found hendrix. and once I could play any of his stuff I moved on again. And now I am were I am now, listening to dream theater.
# 12
stillborn..
stillborn..
04/11/2005 4:21 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovSo you've got reasons to disagree other than "Cobain sucks," right?

i think its just the fact u can not compare those to guitarists..different genres..u know....there both legends...

:confused:
# 13
Don Dawson
Don Dawson
04/11/2005 11:40 am
Mr. Cobain is not even in the same race as Hendrix! If this were a horse race Jimmy would be on the rail in the No.1 position and Cobain(if he were even in the same race)would be on the outside post position.It takes guts to compare the two! You would have had a more reasonable argument with someone like Stevie Ray Vaughn.Keep in mind,the only reason you could put the two(Jimmy and Kurt)in the same race would be there simularities of having the same crazy and vivid views with LYRICS. But all other aspects:NONE
# 14
Cause4Alarm
Cause4Alarm
04/12/2005 6:13 am
Howdy, this is my first day a member of gat-tricks, and I'd like to say that this is one of the coolest sites as far as underground/unorthodox combo's of styles and techniques, which by I understand not to be stubborn and respect other peoples opinions. With that said I'd like to say that Jimi, to me doesn't have much technique as far as fretboard knowledge..... he played mostly pentatonics. He was by far the leader of creating sounds (if you like to call them sounds, choose your poison), Cobain to me was more of a teen fad. Sure he developed his own style, but to me that style was more like the fashion statement of that time to be toward his grunge. Everybody I ever met that was "in love" with him never took up guitar... they were too busy trying to be him. Thanks
[FONT=Arial Black]David Parker[/FONT]
# 15
Tsmith2870
Tsmith2870
04/15/2005 11:44 am
Well it is very simple!
Hendrix was the Father of his type of music and became a timestamp in the music chain. Stevie Ray Vaughn didn't do such a shabby job with his work either. I liked Cobain very much. Now if you want to compare how they killed themselves or how they made there followers fill after they killed themselves
then I really don't see what its got to do with a music web site.
# 16
sansone941
sansone941
04/15/2005 8:11 pm
Hendrix changed the way the instrument was played, Cobain was just a whinny bastard who had his 15 mins, Hendrix is and will always be a revolutionary.
# 17
MusEsuM
MusEsuM
04/16/2005 4:26 am
Why would you even start a thread like this...??? Cobain pretty much played power chords for christ sake....
# 18
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
04/16/2005 5:25 pm
Originally Posted by: paradymeI have to respectfully disagree here. Well, I guess I agree in fact, but disagree with the philosophical implication raised.

Kurt's playing was simplistic without a doubt, and I would say to an extent sloppy as well, but the thing that Kurt proved, and I mean NO disrespect to anyone here, that you don't need to be a whiz-kid to get on stage; if you can only play 3 chords, play them like you mean them, and be inventive about how you use them. For him, I think Nirvana was a way of getting his emotional baggage out on paper, to be cathartic and let it out.

I for one was very much encouraged by what he did musically, I found that it was good to see someone get out there and just let raw emotion take control (sadly, it became more and more an issue of letting raw drug abuse take control).

I'm going to say something that will be very unpopular here- no matter how intricate or complex these players abilities are, I personally cannot stand the sound of "shred" playing. To me that has always epitomized where the guitarist ego went wrong. Maybe it's why I was into punk rock and the kind of music that is called "primitive" in academic circles. I always felt that a simpler style was more able to get the point across if for no reason other than the fact that guitarists more often than not try to (and please pardon the cliche) gild the lilly. What I'm saying is that we tend to play more notes when fewer are needed to show our level of skill, we tend to look at things like "who's the better player?"

The answer is neither. It is all in the ears of the listener. I personally find Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Kerry King, Kirk Hammett, Randy Rhoads, and especially Eddie Van Halen to bore me to tears. Not that they aren't amazing players; they are. They deserve respect and they certainly have mine, but I see the guitar as an ensemble instrument, and I feel that the rock guitarists who handle solos best are Trey Anastasio and Carlos Santana. They play what fits into the song and fills the space and creates a sonic atmosphere. They are musically like the person who leaves the party before it gets old, ends the conversation while it is still interesting, and I always admired their sense of that, knowing when it was still fresh and ending it then.

I have always been bothered by the deification of guitarplayers by other players. If someone is called a guitar-god, I tend to change the station, because as another musician, sure I hear what they're doing, and while it may be interesting, it seems to be little more than self-gratifying fretboard-masturbation. Maybe I'm wrong, and if I haven't offended enough people (and guys, I seriously am not trying to offend anyone's taste-for real), I always said similar things about Glass, Cage, Stravisky, and especially Arnold Schönberg-compositionally mindblowing, musical geniuses, as are all the players I've singled out. I want to emphasize again, just because I don't like them, I do respect them, and I take nothing away from them, especially since I am not even in the same class as they are, but I think we as musicians need to move away from the "who'd win in a fight, Freddy or Jason?" contests that have been going on for years now.

I mean in all seriousness, from a technical perspective, Al DiMeola, John MacLaughlin, and Pat Metheny (I never spell his name right- apologies if butchered!), just to name a few could put most of these guys to shame, but that's not what they're out there to do- they are just musicians- they are good, but they do not seek to be gods.

I don't know if I make any sense here, or if I just got put on the guitar-player's union's hit list or what, but I see music as being something that can be as minimal or as ornate as anyone would like, but we need to respect the minimalistic players just as much for the choices they make to not play as we do for the guys who want to play basically what I would call contemporary pop-fugues. Neither is better than the other. One group has developed skill and precision and speed, and the other leans more toward soul and sparcity. Perfection lies somewhere in between yet it varies from ear to ear. None is better, but all are worth respecting and learning from.

I'm going to get out from behind the pulpit though.

peace

Whoops,I missed this one.

Now unless something can throw a shiver down my vertibrae or make my jaw drop and think,its not worth my time.Nirvana will get no listening attention from me because it is musically empty and the lyrics are futile/juvinile to no end.

At the other end of the musical spectrum,there are very skilled players who have sensational ability,but can't write a song for the life of them.Slightly more tolerable,but i'm still not touching it.

now on to your post...you really didn't state why you disagree that kurt lowered the bar for all guitar players.He sure as hell didn't raise it.

The world of mainstream/widley accessible rock and metal is just now catching up to where its ok to have solos and tastful interludes 'high up on the neck duh'.
Try once,fail twice...
# 19
stringmaster05
stringmaster05
04/21/2005 8:59 pm
cobain may have been good but hendrix revolutionized guitar, my vote goes to him
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.