Cobain v.s. Hendrix

Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
01/28/2005 3:16 am
how does one compare the two?
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 1
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
01/28/2005 3:44 am
Hendrix evolved music and the guitar. Kurt reduced it to lame two-chord bs.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 2
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/28/2005 6:43 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartWhat did Cobain really revolutionize?Ive never known anyone who activley has sought out his style.I know of people starting out playing guitar who strum teen spirit or something,but I dont see where thats revolutionary.Those same people strum metallica too.

Hendrix has influenced far more people(due to time mabey) and took the guitar to a new level...

Have you ever listened closely to the sounds that Cobain pulled out of his guitar, and then sized it up to other people. Sure hes not super fast or whatever but none the less amazing. I'm 24 right now and the first rock CD I ever got was smells like teen spirit when i was twelve years old. Since then I've quit listening to Nirvana and expanded my musical tastes greatly. I heard come as you are on the radio the other day for the first time in years. I was amazed by the way he was making the guitar sound. It reminded my of the first time I actually took a good listened to Hendrix when I was about 16. I think that his playing style (not musical style) has never been replicated because no one else can do it.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 3
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/28/2005 6:44 am
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709Whats it have to do with anyone actively seeking to play like kurt cobain? So if theres more people out there trying to play like steve vai, that automatically makes him more revolutionary than hendrix? guitar=guitar...music doesnot= guitar. the way I interpreted the question was not about who was the more infulential GUITARIST, but who was more revolutionary overall (for their respective time, obviously).

But to answer the question, im gonna say Hendrix, because he really defined putting your heart and soul into making and playing music. Even though Nirvana was my first musical love and got me into music permanently

I would say the hendrix is more influencial but Vai is better
# 4
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
01/28/2005 5:38 pm
Originally Posted by: HambergWho was more revolutionary? I vote Kurt Cobain.

My god man....Cobain over Hendrix. I'm not even going to respond to that....What a joke.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 5
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
01/28/2005 6:02 pm
mabye i'm just talking out of my ass here, but perhaps some of us who are younger ad grew up listening to Nirvana have different views abot Kurt than some of you old farts (j/k :D ) who grew up in the 60's or 70's....
# 6
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/28/2005 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKMy god man....Cobain over Hendrix. I'm not even going to respond to that....What a joke.

Actually I feel them as equal, but I knew everyone else would say Hendrix so I said Cobain. He is under appreciated apparently. That is the real joke.
# 7
HDJ
HDJ
01/28/2005 8:09 pm
Originally Posted by: Homebrew1709mabye i'm just talking out of my ass here, but perhaps some of us who are younger ad grew up listening to Nirvana have different views abot Kurt than some of you old farts (j/k :D ) who grew up in the 60's or 70's....

Nah man, I'm 28. I was in high school when Nirvana came out. I didn't like Kurt then either. His music is just plain boring to me. I think one of the main reason's kids like Nirvana so much is that they are the simplest songs for a beginner to learn.

Sorry if I sounded harsh in saying "what a joke", but the real joke is that he's actually considered a guitar hero by many. I just don't get it, but opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink....
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 8
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
01/28/2005 8:27 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICK...but opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink....

That's the story of this forum...
# 9
Hamberg
Hamberg
01/28/2005 8:53 pm
Originally Posted by: JFRICKNah man, I'm 28. I was in high school when Nirvana came out. I didn't like Kurt then either. His music is just plain boring to me. I think one of the main reason's kids like Nirvana so much is that they are the simplest songs for a beginner to learn.
Sorry if I sounded harsh in saying "what a joke", but the real joke is that he's actually considered a guitar hero by many. I just don't get it, but opinions are like assholes, everybody has one and they all stink....

I learned how to play off Metallica, not Nirvana so much. The first riffs I learned were the intros to Seek and Destroy, One, and Enter Sandman. Before I knew what a power chord was I attempted to play Smells Like Teen Spirit, but that was a huge failure. Since that time I didn't really have an interest in playing Nirvana songs so much as I did Metallica, but I did love to listen to both of them.

Musical taste is opinon based.
# 10
HDJ
HDJ
01/28/2005 9:20 pm
I did the same thing. I learned by learning riffs by Metallica, Van Halen, Megadeth, Pantera, Sepultura, etc... I'm a metal head, one reason I was never into Nirvana I guess.

Anyway, I'm out, take it easy.......
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 11
alucard0941
alucard0941
01/28/2005 10:30 pm
No guitarist will listen to Nirvana for their guitars
only for their music.

My god, Curt was the singer, songwriter, and guitarist for Nirvana. He played and sang at the same time. What do you exept him to do?

If he wanted to be a great guitarist with really hard songs and difficult melodies, he could of done that probually.
Though he just stuck with simple chords to produce simple, but good music
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 12
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
01/29/2005 11:10 am
Originally Posted by: alucard0941No guitarist will listen to Nirvana for their guitars
only for their music.

My god, Curt was the singer, songwriter, and guitarist for Nirvana. He played and sang at the same time. What do you exept him to do?

If he wanted to be a great guitarist with really hard songs and difficult melodies, he could of done that probually.
Though he just stuck with simple chords to produce simple, but good music

Most of the bluesmen play and sing at the same time as well..
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 13
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/29/2005 2:20 pm
Playing and singing is not a big deal...Hendrix was a MASTER at playing and singing well(While high as a kite or tripping balls too).

If the REAL question is 'who got the ball rolling for the bigger genre' than kurt is the 'winner'.

But,if the question is 'who played guitar better and wrote better songs' then Hendrix is the 'winner'

While were debating these two icons,I should bring up that my hero,Chuck Schuldiner played better guitar,wrote better songs(sung and played) and got the ball rolling for death metal and its insane amount of sub-genres...

Chuck Shuldiner owns them both!
Try once,fail twice...
# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/29/2005 5:39 pm
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartWhile were debating these two icons,I should bring up that my hero,Chuck Schuldiner played better guitar,wrote better songs(sung and played) and got the ball rolling for death metal and its insane amount of sub-genres...

Chuck Shuldiner owns them both!

What about Cobain's enormous contribution to Metal?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 15
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/30/2005 5:44 am
Cobain influenced metal?Never heard Slayer stating him as an influence or anything...do you mean a few mainstream bands?

Death metal and its subgenres have very devout fans who will not hesitate to weed out posuers and are of the few genre's that are actually objective to their own music and very critical.I can't say the same for punk,grunge,alternative e.c.t.Too much tolerance in those genre's for posuers and crappy bands/music that are encouraged to continue(to suck).

oooopps...got off topic a bit.

So how did Cobain influence metal again?
Try once,fail twice...
# 16
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/30/2005 10:13 am
Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheart... So how did Cobain influence metal again?
[font=copperplate gothic bold]Mwahahahaha...[/font]

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/30/2005 5:31 pm
It may be bait, but it's bait with a point.

Originally Posted by: chucklivesoninmyheartCobain influenced metal?Never heard Slayer stating him as an influence or anything...do you mean a few mainstream bands?[/quote]
It's pretty simple; by killing off the 80's Cheese Metal stuff, Cobain (and the rest of the Alternative scene) forced Metal back underground where it got much, much better.

By putting an end to the "Spandex" stuff and giving the Slayers out there a chance to flourish, I think he did the whole genre a huge service.

[QUOTE=chucklivesoninmyheart]Death metal and its subgenres have very devout fans who will not hesitate to weed out posuers and are of the few genre's that are actually objective to their own music and very critical.I can't say the same for punk,grunge,alternative e.c.t.Too much tolerance in those genre's for posuers and crappy bands/music that are encouraged to continue(to suck).

You'll have a pretty tough time getting an old school Melvins fan to listen to Nirvana and you'll have a pretty tough time trying to get somebody who was into the initial Alternative offerings to listen to the tripe that came later.

It's like trying to say that Possessed fans, Emperor fans, Slipknot fans, and Godsmack fans are all the same group of people.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 18
moody_fa_loonie
moody_fa_loonie
01/30/2005 5:50 pm
i'd say cobain was more revolutionary because he knew what he wanted to play.....hendrix was a great guitarist but the mainstream stuff he played wasn't really what he wanted to do...he was a blues player but ppl at the time only wanted to hear his 'hey joe' or 'purple haze'. They're both great players but cobain has my vote
# 19
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
01/30/2005 7:38 pm
Well I think we can all agree on one thing.Cobain lowerd the bar for us all...
Try once,fail twice...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.