Cobain v.s. Hendrix

3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/16/2005 5:06 am
Originally Posted by: x0o_BurnOut_o0xBut I dont get it, I mean if this thread was " Which do you like better hendrix or cobain" i would say Hendrix by far, but he didnt start a huge ass movement. People were influenced by him but he didnt have as many FOLLOWERS as cobain.

Now THAT is funny...I don't know any serious musicians that follow Curt Kabang, yet I know many that still seek to discover how Hendrix made those strange and beatifull sounds....

There is a differnce between followers and ppl being influenced. Nirvana spawned millions of bands and made other genres more mainstream. How was Hendrix more revolutionary than that?

Curt Kabang was well known for his dependance on a little effects pedal called the "Small Stone" by ElectrHarmonix....Hendrix revolutionized the use of effects pedals...

Yeah millions of people love his music, and millions are influenced by him but i can not think of a single one that played stuff sounding extremely similar.

Then you need to listen a little more carefully, my friend....Robin Trower made a career chasing the tones of Hendrix, and Stevie Ray Vaughn worshiped at the altar of Hendrix(among others).....Steve Vai is a disciple as well...The reason you don't hear a lot of people cloning Hendrix is because it is so hard to cop his feel

Thats why Cobain is more revolutionary, for one, he had something people could copy,and two he made sharper music trendy therefore pushing it into the mainstream. I can not find how Hendrix made that big of an impact.

If you really believe that than you need some help to understand more clearly. Hendrix revolutionized the way a guitar sounds, and very few players have ever done that. The list is very short indeed....Les Paul was revolutionary in chorusing, delays, and multi tracking, Hendrix revolutionized effects pedals to the point where people were creating new pedals to deliver what he described as the sounds in his head. Adrian Belew is a master of sonic dissonance, much as Reeves Gabriel. Tom Morello is really the only guy I can think of pushing "sounds" into new territory today.

Curt Kabang had a huge influence on modern music, and the only thing I'll ever give him credit for is letting a new generation of kids know that they too could play guitar. That is why teaching guitar in the 90's was sooooo easy. Before Curt Kabang hit it big, guitar was a pretty intimidating thing to pick up, 'cause the people you would measure yourself against were Van Halen, Vai, Satch, Malmsteen, E. Johnson, etc. The only revolution Curt Kabang ever started was to let a bunch of folks know that you didn't have to be a virtuoso to pick up the instrument, and that was a good thing...however, most of the kids that started because of him learned and progressed, and tried to better themselves once they realized the limitations of his style of music.

Hendrix changed MUSIC...Curt Kabang only changed the industry.(which at the time wasn't a bad thing...too many Winger's, Warrants, Slaughters, etc)
Hendrix has inspired 3 generations of musicians to explore his style, and it's a study that can take years, only to realize you still don't have it figured out. Curt Kabang just can't ever have that kind of legacy, 'cause after a week you can easily master his "style", and then you have to move on...I would hope.
It's just plain obvious who the revolutionary musician was....but if it's not to you, then hopefully you'll understand later in life.
# 1
chelle_D
chelle_D
10/17/2005 3:41 am
OK given that Cobain was a revolutionary of his time, how anyone can even compare him to Hendrix is simply laughable. Hendrix changed the entire course of music. Cobain simply gave music a boost in the direction it was already headed towards.
# 2
Fretfire
Fretfire
10/19/2005 12:31 pm
Im voting for Jimi Hendrix .....for 3 simple reasons.

1) He was the First one who took guitarplaying to the next level and his technical ability and showmanship is better. (ex. playing by teeth, burning the guitar and playing the guitar upside down).

2) He put guitar in the awareness of everyone, and proved that it can be used not just as a back-up instrument for a band/ vocal accompaniment but you can be a star on your own by just playing guitar as a soloist. Which paved the way for other great soloist...Vai, Yng, Satch, EVH, etc.

3) He was a household name back in the 60's up to now. While its undeniable that Kurt Cobain does have a lot of followers and fans and he has established his mark as the "Grunge King", His scope is limited by time, remember Nirvana became famous in the early 90's while Hendrix has already influenced players spanning 3 decades.....so Hendrix is definitely more revolutionary.

Case Closed ;)
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 3
Fretfire
Fretfire
10/20/2005 8:56 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOne
Neither one is MORE revolutionary than the other; I mean, how 'bout this for a question? Of these two, whom was more revolutionary: Napoleon or Ghengis Khan? Different merits, different points in time, both revolutionary.

:rolleyes: Of all your arguments, this one shows the most solid conclusion, and I agree because it only proves that neither one of the two is MORE revolutionary than the other coz they both change the course of music on their own right and in their own time or era.

It doesn't matter who came first. The important thing is that they both revolutionized music in a way that it leaves a great impact (like Elvis or the Beatles) that in one way or the other litteraly change the face of music and their legacy still last till now.

To all other reasons which favors anyone of them regarding who is more revolutionary than the other is plainly subjective and its just a matter of taste and personal preference in favor of the one we like better.

I voted for Hendrix and I supported it because he is one of those that influenced and inspired me and it is same for those who was inspired by Kurt, ofcourse they will vote for Cobain. But it does not mean Cobain is more revolutionary than Hendrix and vice versa. Its like your example, comparing Ghengis Khan to Napoleon, they are both revolutionary in their own era but its senseless to compare them who is greater since their impact to the world is separated by time, but nonetheless both changed the course of history.

The conclusion is, BOTH are revolutionary.........But when it comes to personal taste I still vote for Jimi Hendrix....PEACE Bro!! ;)
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
10/20/2005 11:59 am
Nirvana... you should say... NOT Cobain... Since they didn't just leave Cobain in a room by himself to write his own riifs and lyrics... As I stated before in this thread, Their one major breakthrough that put them in the mainstream eyes was "Smells Like Teen Spirit", a riff that was not Kurt Cobains... but rather Dave Grohls... and though the rough lyrics are in Cobains handwriting... the song concept and about 2/3rds of the words are Grohls as well... There most celebrated CD was ARGUABLY the Unplugged session for MTV... In which about a third of the songs were covers from other "Grunge" bands that came before them... Most notably the Meat Puppets. Nirvana wasn't doing anything new... They were one band among a thousand Grunge bands in Seatlle at the time. The Melvins... Sex Pistols... Mudhoney... all came BEFORE Nirvana... Nirvana just so happened to have the hit that the mainstream radio was looking for... As a musician I can celebrate NIRVANA (not Kurt Cobain) as a group... for what they did with the rock scene... taking it from big hair and spandex to no-frills rock with lyrics that could hit home and convey emotion... I, however, won't celebrate a life that so easily gave up on millions of loved ones and fans...
# 5
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/21/2005 10:53 pm
Originally Posted by: paradyme we need to respect the minimalistic players just as much for the choices they make to not play as we do for the guys who want to play.

peace

I would have respected Kurt Kabang more if he had just chosen NOT to play. He bores me to tears just as much as the shredders bore you. As soon as I hear one note of any Nirvana, BAM, the station gets changed.....same thing happens when I hear Elton John...go figure? Another overated musician.

Seems funny to me that the best guitar player in Nirvana was the DRUMMER!! I enjoy the Foo Fighters and think they are a much better band. I think Dave Grohl is a better musician, a better songwriter, a better lyricist, and a better singer.

Hate on me all you want for that, but there will be no apologies. This is my opinion, and it is well developed as far as Nirvana is concerned...I lived next to the Crocodile Cafe in downtown Seattle (BellTown) when grunge exploded, and I thought they sucked then and that there were much better bands in town. Why Kurt got all the worship is just mindboggling to me when there were much more creative people creating incredible music at the same time in the same scene....Jerry Cantrell springs to mind first...early SoundGarden blew them out of the water as well, and Mother LoveBone was amazing. Then there was Tad, and Dumpt, the Acused, and Mudhoney which I thought Kurt obviously ripped off.

That's my opinion, and it stinks just as bad as anyone elses...in fact, it "SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT" PEEEEEEEEE-UUUUUUUUUUU
# 6
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/21/2005 11:06 pm
Originally Posted by: fingertricksI don't think this thread is about who is the best guitarist. I think we all know that Hendrix was. But when it come to voices Curt beats Jimmy by a long shot. Curt wasn’t a great guitarist but he didn’t care (he was left handed). :p

Hendrix was left handed as well....and I prefer his manly voice to the whing of Kurt any day.
# 7
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/21/2005 11:12 pm
Originally Posted by: x0o_BurnOut_o0x After Nirvana exploded onto the scene, soon after pop-punk did. Green Day hit the airwaves in '94 floating on the success of Nirvana

That's another great reason for me to hate Nirvana...Billy Joe in many ways sucks even more than Kurt....at least Kurt wasn't a poser....

Poser-someone that pretends to be something that they are not

Billy Joe-a kid from the California bay area that sings with a british accent
# 8
RandyEllefson
RandyEllefson
10/22/2005 3:09 am
Originally Posted by: HambergWho was more revolutionary? I vote Kurt Cobain.

LOL. Gotta be kidding. That's the most underserving comparison. EVER.
Like riffs? Melody? Shred? Free mp3s? Acoustic guitars galore? Download tunes from my new acoustic album, classical guitar album, or hard rock albums at www.randyellefson.com
# 9
TheWizard
TheWizard
10/24/2005 5:13 am
haha gumby
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 10
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/24/2005 9:28 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOneCold fusion vs. Rubber band airplane
McLaren F1 vs. Penny Farthing
Bumblebee Tuna vs. Godiva Chocolate
Advanced Thyroid Cancer vs. Swampass
Buster Keaton vs. Josef Stalin
Cesaro Summability vs. The OC
Gumby vs. Voltaire

etc...

Now THAT'S funny. Point well made Pony!
# 11
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/25/2005 11:20 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOneCold fusion vs. Rubber band airplane
McLaren F1 vs. Penny Farthing
Bumblebee Tuna vs. Godiva Chocolate
Advanced Thyroid Cancer vs. Swampass
Buster Keaton vs. Josef Stalin
Cesaro Summability vs. The OC
Gumby vs. Voltaire

etc...

Cold Fusion
Penny Farthing
Godiva
Cancer
Keaton
Cesaro
Voltaire

DONE!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.