Cobain v.s. Hendrix

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/11/2005 8:02 pm
Originally Posted by: mrnizzlerKurt Cobain didnt even reall do anything but snort a lot of coke.

Cocaine was definiately NOT Kurt Cobain's drug of choice
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
mrnizzler
mrnizzler
08/11/2005 8:53 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovCocaine was definiately NOT Kurt Cobain's drug of choice

Im sorry...shoot up heroin
Soul before speed... :)
# 2
RedZep
RedZep
08/16/2005 7:11 am
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusthe blues artists jimmy page ripped off. the beatles and hendrix were of little consequence to led zeppelin.

*sigh*

I wasn't in a mood to make a list 6 miles long of ALL THE INFLUENCES, EVERYONE had in that day and age. . .

Everyone has an influence on everyone, no matter how small or big.

Perhaps. But Hendrix would still be doing what he was doing without the Beatles. He wouldn't have been as successful, but he was influenced more by the blues guys than the Beatles.

True, but if you read the other dumbass thread in this forum, the one about Hendrix vs Halen you'll see that I did indeed name a few blues artists, I'm not really as stupid as you all think, I'm just lazy at midnight when I get around to reading these boards and don't want to type mile long posts. Though the beatles did have an influence on him, he did remake Sgt. Pepper right? ;)

DUDE, if you have never listened to more then one song then your comments are meaningless to this thread.

The thread lives!

My comments are NOT meaningless, if I was so BOARD by nirvana on the first song I had ever heard them play, they aren't worth the time of day. Jimi lives on, this thread sucks.

RedZep
# 3
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/16/2005 4:27 pm
Originally Posted by: RedZep
Originally Posted by: tehplatypusthe blues artists jimmy page ripped off. the beatles and hendrix were of little consequence to led zeppelin.

*sigh*

I wasn't in a mood to make a list 6 miles long of ALL THE INFLUENCES, EVERYONE had in that day and age. . .

Everyone has an influence on everyone, no matter how small or big.

Not everybody has to be sued before they give proper writing credits, though.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
fingertricks
fingertricks
08/16/2005 6:36 pm
Originally Posted by: RedZep*sigh*
My comments are NOT meaningless, if I was so BOARD by nirvana on the first song I had ever heard them play, they aren't worth the time of day. Jimi lives on, this thread sucks.
RedZep

Hold on now now! No one thinks your stupid. By the way you spelled bored wrong. Are your coments meaningless, sure they are. Just like everyone elses but that is besides the point (just like mine). How can you justify saying all 31 flavor suck when you only try one? That is just being ignorant because you don't know. By the way, ignorant is not a put down and is totally different then stupid. ;)
# 5
Joe03
Joe03
08/20/2005 6:37 pm
have you heard the pixies they are a band jsut like nirvana that came out before nirvana and thats who kurt cobain ripped off he is jsut another guitarist jimi is somthing else.

kurt cobain doesnt have n e revolutionary thing he stole his **** from the pixies.
# 6
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
08/21/2005 7:08 am
Originally Posted by: Joe03have you heard the pixies they are a band jsut like nirvana that came out before nirvana and thats who kurt cobain ripped off he is jsut another guitarist jimi is somthing else.

kurt cobain doesnt have n e revolutionary thing he stole his **** from the pixies.

just like jimi got most of his sh*t from the bluesmen that came before him.

all music is derrivative of something else somewhere, somehow. get over it.

and back to the point: you can't compare apples and oranges. jimi was a better player, kurt had better pop sensabilities. they didn't particularly play the same type of music or anything to really base any comparrison...they both influenced innumerable people.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 7
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/21/2005 10:29 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovNot everybody has to be sued before they give proper writing credits, though.

ZING!!!!!!
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 8
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
08/25/2005 1:23 am
omg, this thread needs to die, it has 22 pages of arguments.
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 9
alucard0941
alucard0941
08/25/2005 2:26 am
this is a guitar forum, obviosly everyone is gonna say hendrix cause hes a guitar man...
if you say cobain, you will get laughed at
if you say jimi, people will think your some n00b and just saying jimi to follow the crowd...

so there is no ending to this fued
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 10
Hamberg
Hamberg
08/28/2005 7:03 am
This is somewhat unrelated while still related to the thread.

I just heard something off of the nirvana album insecticide. Now i havent heard that album for years and years. But anyways cobain was doing this crazy feedback (yes hendrix was the first to do this sort of thing, i know.) But it was different. Infact, musically it sucked, and yet it still somehow sounded cool with the song. I then thought to myself that alot of nirvanas beats are kind of the same (the bass and drumming.) Putting two and two together...

...I concluded that nirvana was good because kurt cobain was a amazing guitar player. He learned how to take what was [U]previously[/U] considered bad about music and make it sound cool. This is why I belive that kurt cobain was under rated, and one of the better guitar players of our time.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 11
ibo2
ibo2
08/28/2005 8:10 am
...On Cobain - In my opinion (not trying to offend anyone, but everyone has the right to their own opinion, and I'm not trying to put anyone's down) cobain sucked. His singing was very whiney, and you could never tell what he was even saying, except "rape me." how inspiring. how profound. :rolleyes: So vocally, he sucked. He was off key a lot. ok, guitar-wise... better, but not great. I've heard many, MANY of his song that uses the same (and obvious) 4 power chord structure. And many of nirvana's songs sounded quite similar to one another. There was a LITTLE creativity in some of his riffs. Hell, I even like a couple of em. I forget which songs they were, though. The solos weren't spectacular, but hey, I give him credit for trying. That's a lot more than most people did in the grunge era. And I don't recall Nirvana being the first grunge band... Didn't Alice in Chains come first? Weren't they considered grunge? (serious questions. I was always told this, but never knew for sure) So all in all... not great, and leaning heavily towards bad.

...On Hendrix - This is where you're going to slaughter me. haha. joke. laugh. Ok, so most people consider hendrix a "virtuoso," a "legend." Compare him to today's virtuosos. Try Vai, Yngwie, Petrucci, Satriani, and so on. He's very basic compared to them. The thing about him is the time. For his TIME, it was a revolution. He was one of (if not THE) best guitar players of the time. OF THE TIME. But compare him to standard virtuosos, he wasn't as good, by far. As far as songwriting goes, hendrix was great. He was creative, original, and not whiney. :p He sang well and played well. Though, his songs, too, sounded quite similar to one another.

And to reinforce one thing... nobody's better. It's all objective, not subjective.

Hendrix used more complicated chords too.

As far as the people themselves... neither of them were great. One blew his own head off, and the other uh... vomited himself to death? er... Call it what you want. They were both drug addicts, and that most likely (I'd seriously hate for anyone to argue against this) led the both to their own respective deaths.

So for the record... of the two, I'm for hendrix. I'm not a huge fan of either of them, though.

Bash me, bash me! Then you can say "he literally asked for it!"
# 12
Hamberg
Hamberg
08/28/2005 8:24 am
I would say Alice in Chains was more hard rock and not really Metal but more so then grunge. Also i think face life was released in 90 while bleach was in 89?
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/28/2005 4:28 pm
Yeah, but The Melvins and Mud Honey were making "Grunge" YEARS before Nirvana.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
ibo2
ibo2
08/28/2005 5:33 pm
Nirvana wasn't even "original" like people say they were! So what'd they have...? Unoriginal whiney music with maybe *some* emotional depth to it, if you can even understand what he says, and 3 power chords. yay.

On the subject of originality. I just got a shirt that says
"Yeah, you're unique...
...just like everyone else"
And has a picture of a bunch of the exact same stick figures lined up in a row. I just wanted all the "unique" pop ("I'm HARDCORE!") punks out there to realize, they're just like everyone else.
# 15
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/28/2005 6:05 pm
Originally Posted by: ibo2Nirvana wasn't even "original" like people say they were! So what'd they have...? Unoriginal whiney music with maybe *some* emotional depth to it, if you can even understand what he says, and 3 power chords. yay.

I listen to a lot of music from that time and I can't think of anyone that Nirvana copied. Yeah, they fit within the scene, yeah, they didn't start it, but I've always been able to tell Nirvana from the bands that came before and were contemporary to them.

Also anybody who says that their songs are only "three power chords" has paid absolutely no attention to their music.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/08/2005 9:21 pm
Originally Posted by: griefwearsgraystage performance.

You're saying Cobain was a better showman than Hendrix? The man known for burning his guitar? (well, technically that first one was Pete Townshend's guitar).
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 17
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/09/2005 9:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYou're saying Cobain was a better showman than Hendrix? The man known for burning his guitar? (well, technically that first one was Pete Townshend's guitar).

Not to mention "humping" the amps, making them almost fall if it wasn't for someone holding them from behind. And, Hendrix also played with his teeth. Give that a shot and tell me how it works out.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 18
arska007
arska007
10/12/2005 1:17 pm
hendrix is the god of guitar!!
PS.playing with teeths is very hard.i tried
;)
"I am the lizard king, i can do anything!"-The Doors
# 19
freckledick
freckledick
10/16/2005 3:35 am
revolutionary:- (adjective) involving a great change.

hendrix mixed a lot of styles(jazz,blues,rock) to create his own type of sound, that in itself is not revolutionary, for the idea of using something other than what it was created for is as old as man himself. ray charles was doing it with gospel to blues and soul. because its 'new' it becomes entertaining.
i believe jimi inspired lots of people to play the guitar and the people who were already playing to play it better. i don't believe music in itself is revolutionary, but it sure inspires people to be. i think a better question would be who is the most inspirational musician?
talent wise? i wish i could sing with the intensity of cobain.
i wish i could play the guitar as naturally as hendrix.
i don't believe cobain created or even mixed the style of grunge, it was already in full swing when he came along, he happened to make it popular, by being the best at it.
hendrix inspired people in the sixties and seventies through to today, nirvanas been doing it since the 90's, give them a chance, teen spirit will always be one of the first songs a newcomer will learn. then they'll move onto purple haze.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.