Fastest guitarist you know!!!

kirkhammett2
kirkhammett2
04/19/2002 3:56 pm
KIRK HAMMETT although vai, malmsteen and petrucci come close
I like - metallica, iron maiden, panetra, slayer, ac/dc, black sabbath, system of a down, deftones, megadeth, guns 'n' roses
# 1
kirkhammett2
kirkhammett2
04/19/2002 4:26 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
Excuse me, but do you have any idea about what you're saying?!!! To state that someone is faster than Vai (or Petrucci, for that sake) is a bold statement in itself, but Hammett is NOT faster. He is a good guitarist, but to say that he comes even remotely close to playing as fast as those guys is complete bull****!

considering vai and hammett are both recorded at 20 notes per second that blatantly isnt bull****
I like - metallica, iron maiden, panetra, slayer, ac/dc, black sabbath, system of a down, deftones, megadeth, guns 'n' roses
# 2
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/19/2002 7:09 pm
ok, let's come down a bit...
Kirkhammet2, check some of the names posted above, and you'll see that VAI, Satch, and even Paul GILBERT come way behind the fastest guys (who are obscure, I admit). As for Kirk, even though he knows how to play, I do not think that he belongs in the fastest list, maybe in the heaviest, but not fastest...
# 3
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/19/2002 9:01 pm
Satch is incredibly fast it's just unlike most neo-classical heads he doesn't always ram it down people's throats by sweep picking the whole fretboard like some machine. For example there's a little bit of the second solo from Rubina's blue sky happiness, that's like a pianist's glissando. I expect he could cope with most of what these obscure largely un-listenable, dull as hell players regularly blurt out if he wanted to but he wouldn't even try because, his ego is too irreplacably huge to risk denting. Whillst I'm about it I'd also like to say he's way cooler than Vai but I don't see why there always being compared (other than that Satch taught Vai) when they're so different.
Anyway, I don't personally know how to tell the difference between a delay effect and seriously fast alternate picking anyway, it all sounds faster with a warm neck pick up setting anyway. I don't know what I'm doing adding to the 30th page of this thread! Perhaps I can fill some more time meditating on the merits of the colour grey..
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 4
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/19/2002 10:14 pm
Even though they are different, they have been on the same label for some time, they lived in the same town, they have learnt guitar together (Satch said they jammed more than they actually did any formal training), and most of all, they are on the same rack in stores: instrumental rock, or guitar instrumental.
Satch comes more from a blues background, while VAI has developed into this Jazz/experimental music... But I guess it's fun to compare them both...
# 5
AquariusWB
AquariusWB
04/22/2002 1:56 pm
Has anyone ever heard a guitarist faster than Michael Angelo?
# 6
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/22/2002 3:39 pm
Well, I was ranked second with paul gilbert!!! Dude, that was cool!
# 7
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
04/22/2002 5:31 pm
This thread is still going?? Ive been away too long!

Faster than hetfield? Is that actually possible? Maybe Mustain can go a bit faster but after that how could you hear the seperate notes?....some people who play fast just do it to a ridiculous extent...speed is a useful thing to have but only if u use it properly......ok thats probably been said already but im NOT reading all the way through two hundred and sumfing freakin posts!
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/22/2002 11:50 pm
There are a lot of players faster than Hetfield. Dave Mustaine too.

You're right about speed not being the ultimate measure of a good guitarist though.

[Edited by Raskolnikov on 04-22-2002 at 06:52 PM]
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
albo
albo
04/23/2002 7:38 pm
The fastest guitarists I have heard are all no named players. The best pickers/legato/sweep players I have heard are all in person. It is a scary thought to think of how many people can play as fast as petrucci/yngwie and such.
# 10
ControlledChaos
ControlledChaos
05/03/2002 7:03 pm
Anyone who plays a papa roach song deserves to never be named in a fast shredder thread. Also, they deserve to be shot.

Jon Levassuer is so freaking fast it blows my darned mind. He beats the heck out of most people mentioned in this thread.
# 11
u10ajf
u10ajf
05/03/2002 9:15 pm
I've just got some Shawn lane, if jazz rock shredding is your scene this guy is a good bet, pretty unreal, bits remind me of Eric Johnsson, bits of Satriani, bits of Michael Romeo, bits of Pettrucci, bits of Holdsworth..
This guy is scary. Some of what he plays is quite musical also. Personally I prefer Shaun Baxter - another fusion player. Nobody mentioned him, he kicks soooo much asss.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/03/2002 11:23 pm
No-one here said that papa roach were good. But playing last resort on double speed using downstrokes is something not everyone can do....

And let's not forget the "grows up and tastes change" factor. He's a kid! Give him a break.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
guitplyr87
guitplyr87
03/15/2003 3:24 am
You cant prove that one guitarist is faster than the other, so stop degrading guitarists. Only some are true virtuosos and sure as hell rise above others. Here is MY list of top guitar players of our time...
KIRK HAMMETT- my hero/idol (SICK ASS virtuoso - "Dyers Eve" for example, but that aint **** to what he does on live shows, you have to really see Kirk play, i hate it when people always base him on the Enter Sandman solo, this guy has no limits) MICHAEL ANGELO- excellent player ("No Boundaries" is a good example) JAKE E. LEE- sick ass player (check out "Bark At The Moon", sick solo).

Vai, Van Halen, Satriani, Rhoads, etc... all legends... but Hammett, Angelo, and Lee are at the top of my list.

if anybody knows any sites with good wallpapers of all these guitarists e-mail me at cacors@att.net

PEACE!
# 14
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
03/15/2003 4:10 am
Originally posted by guitplyr87
You cant prove that one guitarist is faster than the other, so stop degrading guitarists.

PEACE!

wow, this is a blast from the past!

actually we can prove who's faster, we can count how many notes per second they play. other than that, you're right, we can't prove who's better
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 15
Catcher
Catcher
03/15/2003 4:58 am
steve vai....

why u ask?

ever listened to "the elusive light and sound, Vol. 1"....I mean really listened to all of it?

jee-bus, that man can run!
KAIN
# 16
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
03/15/2003 5:04 am
I was hoping this thread was dead and buried! -LOL-
# 17
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
03/15/2003 10:51 am
Calling Kirk Hammett a sick-ass virtuoso is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard...

lol
:D
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 18
Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
03/15/2003 5:15 pm
kirk is a gd guitarist but certainly not a SICKASS-VIRTUSO certainly not..
*Speed is nothing without control*
# 19
guitplyr87
guitplyr87
03/15/2003 8:11 pm
you see, Kirk is a virtuoso, and he happens to be one of the greatest guitar players around. if you deny that, thats just plain ignorance. you guys dont know about his guitar playing, you havent seen what he can do on guitar. 99 percent of people refer to his guitar technique to stuff like Enter Sandman, thats ridiculous. just because youve never seen kirk play in the style of Malmsteen doesnt mean he cant play the stuff he can. its stupid when people post dumbass comments saying one guitar player is better than the other, thats complete bull****. you people gotta realize everything you are saying is YOUR opinion. there is NO PROOF that one is better than the other. live with that FACT. when i posted my last reply yesterday, i just said those were my fav players, i never said they were better than anyone else. hammett, angelo, and lee are my fav guitarists. and Vai happens to be one of my influences just as well and i know how he plays and how good he is, so whoever took it in a bad way... i DIDNT degrade Vai's playing. thats the main problem with these types of forums. no one excepts anyones opinions, so everybody just chill.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.