• Shawn Lane

• Brett Garsed

• Impellittieri

(IMHO) ;)
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/29/2002 5:52 pm
I can't believe that thread is still going!!!
Buckethead has already been mentioned, same with Shawn LANE, Impitirelli, or whatever his name is too, even I have been mentioned... I guess...
# 2
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
03/30/2002 5:35 am
Ron thal
Freak Kitchen
# 3
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
04/08/2002 8:40 am
Yngwie is fast but boring but I like him

Petrucci is one of best. He´s damn fast (listen to Flight Of Bumblebee) but also he got that feeling wich Yngwie is missin´.

Vai is awsome. Much like Petrucci

Gilbert od course (thanks for those skips man)
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 4
tlaxa
tlaxa
04/10/2002 12:27 am
1. page stairway to heaven
2. blackmore highway star (live)
3. gilmour - comfortably numb
4. betts - ramblin man
5. rhoads - mr crowley
# 5
tlaxa
tlaxa
04/10/2002 12:55 pm
disregard the above post. it should have been listed under the top 5 rock guitar leads thread. sorry.
# 6
DarkSarx
DarkSarx
04/11/2002 4:33 am
I used to think that Yngwie was the fastest, but I heard this guy Michael Angelo and he's insanely fast! He plays a double neck guitar, one right handed and, you guessed, the other neck is left handed. He does some harmonized double-hand arpeggios that really impressed me. But I'm dissapointed with his composing skills. He sounds way too hollow! And he cheats: he uses string dampeners to keep the strings quiet and tons of digital effects... :-(

Tony MacAlpine is brilliant in many senses, but his piano playing sucks. Anyone that has heard good Chopin records (like those from Deutsche Grammophone) knows that MacAlpine sounds too harsh at Chopin.

Yngwie and Vai are my all-time favs, but both of them bore me if I listen too long to their records.

# 7
AquariusWB
AquariusWB
04/11/2002 5:19 am
Michael Angelo is AMAZINGLY fast, but his music sucks, but he beats Yngwie anyday... Yngwie is fast but not even close to the fastest. In fact, I know a senior in high school (he has attended all sorts of guitar clinics, playing with the likes of Vinnie Moore, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc.) who shreds faster and just as clean as Yngwie does...
Fastest sweep-pickers I've ever heard are probably Michael Angelo, maybe Rusty Cooley, and Jason Becker sweeps pretty damn fast, too.
For tremolo picking, John Petrucci or Paul Gilbert. Tony MacApline is fast at everything, too.
My personal FAVORITE shredder has got to be Jason Becker (he has Lou Gherig's Disease now, and he can't play, but if you haven't heard him, check out his album "Perpetual Burn"). He is a BRILLIANT musician, and not only could he play really really fast, he could right SWEET music, way better than Yngwie, and in multiple different styles (All Yngwie's songs and solos sound the same).
# 8
Domagoj
Domagoj
04/12/2002 10:18 am
Hey whats up people.

Hey Limace, how long you been playing? 15 years? Sounds like at leaast that long - probably 20+. Nice stuff. I've got catching up to do in sheer speed/neo-classical, but I'm more jazz oriented, and I don't really think I'll go full tilt in the direction of learning neo-licks - I'll go with jazz/rock/fusion licks and maybe get them going at a pretty good pace. I heard one or two very brief jazz licks in your playing - I "suggest" you get (more) hardcore into jazz, it can only add color to your palette, and you can always use a short burst of speed between totally random jazzy bits. I highly reccomend Herbie Hancock's tunes - especially the pretty straightforward, simple funk ones where you have the freedom to change keyds/scales constantly and randomly meld it/let it meld itself into something that when you listen to it, it's totally different than it sounded when you first recorded it. Just a thought...plus I have one or two alright improvs of my own saved (playing over existing works of jazz greats)...not quite there with the speed, but getting alright at the jazz thing - I sound like a jazz sax I guess - main inspiration with that style is McLaughlin, and a tad Metheny (meaning I sound like them basically, but of course my own sound a bit), with of course the fast parts being probably closest to Satriani, who I know isn't really the best shredder, (if he can really be called a true shredder at all), but I like him the best overall of the fastest guys 'cause he's the most listenable (songwriting is cometimes great too for moods it puts you in), although he's still almost too fast compared with the Guitar Trio, which in my opinion can't be touched - they are the overlords of guitar. Their slower later songwriting is awesome...it really showcases where else to go other than just sheer speed - plus shows other places to use speed - (like tons of McLaughlin's stuff), where "1/2 pace" is the maximum possible speed when playing strange random ****, although there's that Scott Mishoe to sort of negate that "rule of thumb", but that's almost banjo/hillbilly sounding licks, however I didn't think I'd see someone sweep the floor with Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck & the Flecktones), but now it seems there are probably tons of bassists/bass-style slap guitarists much faster than Wooten. Still, in terms of "true jazz/fusion" sounding licks, there really aren't any very fast guitarists in the idiom - I think I'll concentrate there - there seems to be ample room for braking ground :)

Anyhow, I'm not really "voting" for anyone, but hey I'm sure as hell surprised to hear that strange noise from Marcus Paus. He's the fastest, no question. Then probably Gilbert and yourself (Limace), with the host of other guys like Michael Angelo and Yngwie, etc. following suit.

Anyhow, any other McLaughlin/DiMeola/de Lucia fans? I'd probably say these guys are the best (of course not nearly the fastest), and these guys are also the most important, next to Hendrix and the forerunners, like Tal Farlow, Django Reinhardt, and, of course, Charlie Christian.

For those that might not know, there is a pretty simple lineage to guitarists :

(Robert Johnson), Charlile Christian, Django Reindardt, Tal Farlow, then I'm not sure for the next while, but of course after that there's Jimi Hendrix, John Mclaughlin, Paco de Lucia, Al DiMeola (started the real speed in guitar), then of course Yngwie (maximized speed), and Vai and EVH and Satriani and the rest, but if you want a history of speed guitar, it's only two guys - DiMeola and Malmsteen, and that's a fact. Everything else is basically following Yngwie's lead, as he's the guy who took it to the next level, and he even told Al that he was the inspirtation to become the fastest guitarist in the world, since Al had done that just before him.

If anyone else knows any tidbits about the "early-mid lineage" of guitar's most prominent figures, give us a nice in-depth review.

Well it's nie to find a place devoted to aspiring guitarists, and I think I've found a source of great information. Well, off to bed, it's 4:20am.

Cya
# 9
Domagoj
Domagoj
04/12/2002 9:33 pm
I didn't misspell it. That's how it's spelled on his site. I guess it's the shortened version, or maybe somethinbg like that :)

Anyway, yeah, of course Chuck Berry, and I don't really know about the others, but thanks :)

Man I never thought Marty Friedman was an ultra-shredder - I just know him from Megadeth, and that stuff's pretty tame...oh well, time to check out his 1987 solo album, and whatever else I can find of his...and some JAson Becker too...

Cya
# 10
AquariusWB
AquariusWB
04/13/2002 5:37 am
Paco De Lucia / Al DiMeola / John McLaughlin is probably the greatest group of guitarists to ever team up... G3 is grand and wonderful in its own right, but G3 is not about chemistry of the guitarists, it's more about each guitarist showcasing their individual techniques and styles, but the PDL / ADM / JM is some of the best guitar playing on the planet. These guys are not only amazing songwriters and technical guitarists, but they actually play TOGETHER well, and the first time I heard their rendition of Rio Ancho, I think I just about had an orgasm (not really, but ALMOST)! Anybody who has not heard these guys perform together, GO GET THE CD!!!
# 11
James8831
James8831
04/13/2002 9:16 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
Not by any means fast, but some guitarists between Tal Farlow and Jimi Hendrix include Chuck Berry, Scotty Moore, Roy Buchanan, Cliff Gallup, etc.

These guys I care about listening to..something to do with SOUL ... Fast? ce quoi?? :)

Jimmy Nolen, Hubert Sumlin,Jeff Healy and Buddy Guy (etc..)as well.

Les Paul wasn't slow,tho.....Neither was Johnie Hendrix or Jimmy Page..in their days..
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 12
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/13/2002 10:14 pm
Originally posted by Domagoj
Anyhow, I'm not really "voting" for anyone, but hey I'm sure as hell surprised to hear that strange noise from Marcus Paus. He's the fastest, no question. Then probably Gilbert and yourself (Limace), with the host of other guys like Michael Angelo and Yngwie, etc. following suit.

Wow, now that feels weird...
# 13
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
04/13/2002 10:58 pm
I´m the fastest - and now stop this thread *LOL*

:D

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 14
AquariusWB
AquariusWB
04/14/2002 5:34 am
You know what pisses me off? People like Buddy Guy or Carlos Santana, who can play one repetitive (and easy, mind you) lick through a whole solo, yet be called soulful just because they're old. With Buddy Guy, the only purpose with his solos is to impress people, which in my opinion is a job that should be left to guys like Vai and Malmsteen. Whoever said the old guitarists where the best can go **** themselves. It's basically like saying that the computers of the 70's where better than those of today.

Yo dude, nobody in this forum said anything about the old guys being better because they are older. In fact, I have never heard anybody say that, but your computer analogy is illogical, and by saying it, you are being a hypocrite: first you say that you hate it when people say that old guitarists are best because they are older; then you say that new guitarists are best because they are newer, according to your analogy. I love the new guys and I love the old guys, they are different styles, but one isn't necessarily better than the next. Why do you have to categorize them so much, anyway? It kind of bugs me when people start criticizing music as if it is an objective thing: "Vai is better than Clapton; this guy is better, he can play faster..." That kind of stuff bugs me. First of all, music is not a competition. You can prefer different styles and bands and whatnot, but nobody has the right to just declare that one is better than a different one. Second of all, when did speed become the deciding factor for how good a musician is? Whatever happened to appreciating music for the FEELING it gives you? It doesn't matter if it is slow or fast, as long as it conveys a message or feeling. I can listen to a slow, bluesy Clapton solo and feel like crying sometimes, and I can also listen to a Steve Vai and feel like he is actually talking to me through his guitar. Either way, I am not about to compare the two of them and say one is better. FACT: They are both brilliant musicians. It doesn't matter who plays faster. Music is SUBJECTIVE. The real question in music is: how does it make you feel? Does it convey a feeling or message? THAT is the beauty of music, fast like Malmsteen or slow like Buddy Guy. PEACE
# 15
u10ajf
u10ajf
04/14/2002 1:52 pm
Yes, I've heard "momentum", she vies with Vai, out henderson's scott henderson and still sounds like,.. um Jennifer Batten and I prefer her to either of the afore mentioned wizards. For those who haven't heard her playing I must recommend you sort that problem out. She kicks many leagues of ass.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 16
AquariusWB
AquariusWB
04/14/2002 5:58 pm
And on the subject of generalization of guitarists, I recently read an interview with some guitarist/singer/songwriter who said that most male guitarists (she was a woman) only care about playing fast and impressing other male guitarists, but that female guitarists are much better, cuz they don't care about that. Ever heard of Jennifer Batten? Hm?

(Awaiting pissed-off responses)

First, sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying, and I understand what you mean now. Secondly, Jennifer Batten rules. I don't like that generalization that girl guitarists are better though, I dont' see what sex has to do with anything! But yeah, Batten is one crazy crazy guitarist!
# 17
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/14/2002 6:10 pm
She actually writes the tunes I think (or co-writes them...)
# 18
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/14/2002 6:19 pm
Something that sucks when you like some guitar hero is when you listen to what he/she does in a band where he/she isn't the frontman.
The only CDs I loved that were in this case was the DLR CDs where Steve VAI played on.
# 19
eojeab
eojeab
04/14/2002 9:33 pm
Yeah, Finally somebody talk about The Guitar Trio (Al Di Meola/John McLaughlin/Paco de Lucía) with the CD: “Friday night in San Francisco”, such a cool fight.

And something funny, I found something about Marcus Paus that play with a band call “Absolute Steel” but the people in “Absolute Steel” says “no body is faster than Yngwie not matter what the Guinness says” . – Funny stuff, ehh –

And the last thing here
http://www.rapture.net/impellitteri/ygint2.htm a interview with Chris Impelliteri and Paul Gilbert talking about 20th century guitarrist. Is a very interesting interview, read it. They talk about Ynwie, too.

Bye.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.