View post (Fastest guitarist you know!!!)

View thread

AquariusWB
AquariusWB
04/14/2002 5:34 am
Originally posted by aiwass
You know what pisses me off? People like Buddy Guy or Carlos Santana, who can play one repetitive (and easy, mind you) lick through a whole solo, yet be called soulful just because they're old. With Buddy Guy, the only purpose with his solos is to impress people, which in my opinion is a job that should be left to guys like Vai and Malmsteen. Whoever said the old guitarists where the best can go **** themselves. It's basically like saying that the computers of the 70's where better than those of today.

Yo dude, nobody in this forum said anything about the old guys being better because they are older. In fact, I have never heard anybody say that, but your computer analogy is illogical, and by saying it, you are being a hypocrite: first you say that you hate it when people say that old guitarists are best because they are older; then you say that new guitarists are best because they are newer, according to your analogy. I love the new guys and I love the old guys, they are different styles, but one isn't necessarily better than the next. Why do you have to categorize them so much, anyway? It kind of bugs me when people start criticizing music as if it is an objective thing: "Vai is better than Clapton; this guy is better, he can play faster..." That kind of stuff bugs me. First of all, music is not a competition. You can prefer different styles and bands and whatnot, but nobody has the right to just declare that one is better than a different one. Second of all, when did speed become the deciding factor for how good a musician is? Whatever happened to appreciating music for the FEELING it gives you? It doesn't matter if it is slow or fast, as long as it conveys a message or feeling. I can listen to a slow, bluesy Clapton solo and feel like crying sometimes, and I can also listen to a Steve Vai and feel like he is actually talking to me through his guitar. Either way, I am not about to compare the two of them and say one is better. FACT: They are both brilliant musicians. It doesn't matter who plays faster. Music is SUBJECTIVE. The real question in music is: how does it make you feel? Does it convey a feeling or message? THAT is the beauty of music, fast like Malmsteen or slow like Buddy Guy. PEACE