does anybody care?

stackny
stackny
03/06/2006 10:55 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsThat's the basis of agnostism. The understanding that no one knows for sure. It's all faith, actual knowledge is a whole different story. You can be a Christian-agnostic, provided you undestand that you're working off of faith rather than fact. And that's not really a bad thing, if you ask me.

And that is where we differ and the point Ive been trying to get across this whole time. I dont doubt my faith. Why would I? Why would you follow a religion and worship a god that you thought might not exist? Thats crazy and pointless. Do you or do you not see where Im coming from?
Dont shoot yourself in the head.
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/06/2006 11:14 pm
Originally Posted by: stacknyAnd that is where we differ and the point Ive been trying to get across this whole time. I dont doubt my faith. Why would I? Why would you follow a religion and worship a god that you thought might not exist? Thats crazy and pointless. Do you or do you not see where Im coming from?

To be honest, I knew you were trying to make that point all along. But there's a big difference between thinking you're wrong and understanding the possibility of being wrong. You can be a 100% devout Christian, but still understand that the only way to truly know what the truth is is to die and find out for yourself. None of us has all the answers, therefore there's far more possibilities of conclusions than imagineable. Now, it's not a problem to follow what you believe 100%, but that doesn't mean that you have to void yourself of understanding what's around you.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
stackny
stackny
03/06/2006 11:17 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsTo be honest, I knew you were trying to make that point all along. But there's a big difference between thinking you're wrong and understanding the possibility of being wrong. You can be a 100% devout Christian, but still understand that the only way to truly know what the truth is is to die and find out for yourself. None of us has all the answers, therefore there's far more possibilities of conclusions than imagineable. Now, it's not a problem to follow what you believe 100%, but that doesn't mean that you have to void yourself of understanding what's around you.

And have I voided myself to whats around me? No. What youre asking is for me to consider that there could be alternate ways to get to heaven or maybe no god at all. Thats agnosticism. Not Christianity. Youre combining the 2 and you cant do that. Vinegar and water.
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/06/2006 11:24 pm
Originally Posted by: stacknyAnd have I voided myself to whats around me? No. What youre asking is for me to consider that there could be alternate ways to get to heaven or maybe no god at all. Thats agnosticism. Not Christianity. Youre combining the 2 and you cant do that. Vinegar and water.

Actually you can. Take all the beliefs you have in Christianity. Now add the understanding of possibility. Agnostism itself isn't really a religion, more so a way to look at things. Think about it, there's not a shred of proof that God exists. Not one shred. All we have is what's written in the Bible. Now, how many different versions of the Christian Bible alone are there? Now how many different religions are there with their own variations? I don't doubt your faith in what you believe, and I'm not trying to attack it, but to just tell every last one of them that they're wrong without even understanding that there's the possibility? I'll find out if God exists or not when I die, just like you'll find out if he's the Christian God you think he is when you die. Until then we all just have to guess. You don't have to take your faith away to realize that everyone's just guessing a different direction. You've chosen door number 1, while I'm taking door number 3.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
stackny
stackny
03/06/2006 11:41 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsActually you can. Take all the beliefs you have in Christianity. Now add the understanding of possibility. Agnostism itself isn't really a religion, more so a way to look at things. Think about it, there's not a shred of proof that God exists. Not one shred. All we have is what's written in the Bible. Now, how many different versions of the Christian Bible alone are there? Now how many different religions are there with their own variations? I don't doubt your faith in what you believe, and I'm not trying to attack it, but to just tell every last one of them that they're wrong without even understanding that there's the possibility? I'll find out if God exists or not when I die, just like you'll find out if he's the Christian God you think he is when you die. Until then we all just have to guess. You don't have to take your faith away to realize that everyone's just guessing a different direction. You've chosen door number 1, while I'm taking door number 3.

Ive based my faith on more than just the thought that there is a god though. I already talked about the prophecies that are being fulfilled today and the many reasons to lead to the theory that life had to be put here by something.What versions of the Bible do you speak of? Translation differences? Even so, the meaning has not changed enough to alter the religion.

PS-I can assure there isnt gonna be any party in hell.
# 5
stackny
stackny
03/06/2006 11:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsActually you can. Take all the beliefs you have in Christianity. Now add the understanding of possibility. Agnostism itself isn't really a religion, more so a way to look at things. Think about it, there's not a shred of proof that God exists. Not one shred. All we have is what's written in the Bible. Now, how many different versions of the Christian Bible alone are there? Now how many different religions are there with their own variations? I don't doubt your faith in what you believe, and I'm not trying to attack it, but to just tell every last one of them that they're wrong without even understanding that there's the possibility? I'll find out if God exists or not when I die, just like you'll find out if he's the Christian God you think he is when you die. Until then we all just have to guess. You don't have to take your faith away to realize that everyone's just guessing a different direction. You've chosen door number 1, while I'm taking door number 3.

Ive based my faith on more than just the thought that there is a god though. I already talked about the prophecies that are being fulfilled today and the many reasons to lead to the theory that life had to be put here by something.What versions of the Bible do you speak of? Translation differences? Even so, the meaning has not changed enough to alter the religion.

PS-I can assure there isnt gonna be any party in hell. (Thats not saying youre going to hell, just saying that if you think there is going to be a party and exists the way the Bible says it does, no party is going down.)
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/06/2006 11:53 pm
Originally Posted by: stacknyIve based my faith on more than just the thought that there is a god though. I already talked about the prophecies that are being fulfilled today and the many reasons to lead to the theory that life had to be put here by something.What versions of the Bible do you speak of? Translation differences? Even so, the meaning has not changed enough to alter the religion. [/QUOTE]Well, in this day in age there are at least 7 different versions of Christianity alone, which includes:

Restorationism
Protestantism
Anglicanism
Catholicism
Orthodoxy
Nestorianism

And that's just the tip of the ice berg. There are plenty of sub-genres in each of those. Now, if you compare those you will find significant differences between them. A lot of differences will contradict beliefs that your division follows.

Now, let's compare all those variations to all the other religions in the world. And that includes all forms of mythology since those were at one point adhered to as religion as well.

[QUOTE=stackny]

Not if I can help it.

Hulk Smash!!

# 7
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/07/2006 12:01 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyPS-I can assure there isnt gonna be any party in hell. (Thats not saying youre going to hell, just saying that if you think there is going to be a party and exists the way the Bible says it does, no party is going down.)

No need to be politically correct. If there is a hell, I'll probably be there, so, y'know. I'll just make the best of it I guess. Cheers.

Hulk Smash!!

# 8
stackny
stackny
03/07/2006 12:06 am
Lets pick on Catholics. They seem to think the more money you give to the church, the greater your chances are of getting to heaven. Theyve had a problem with horny priests mollesting little boys in the past. This entire branch of Christianity is flawed. I dont like generalizations, but Ill add that every "Catholic" friend of mine is a hardcore partier and shows no examples of being a Christian at all. Just an observation of mine. Not saying that there arent Catholics who are "good" people and are going to heaven, but theyve got some major mess ups within that religion.

That being said, its not a different version of the Bible, its a different religion in itself, not based totally on the message of the Bible.
# 9
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
03/07/2006 12:25 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyLets pick on Catholics. They seem to think the more money you give to the church, the greater your chances are of getting to heaven. Theyve had a problem with horny priests mollesting little boys in the past. This entire branch of Christianity is flawed. I dont like generalizations, but Ill add that every "Catholic" friend of mine is a hardcore partier and shows no examples of being a Christian at all. Just an observation of mine. Not saying that there arent Catholics who are "good" people and are going to heaven, but theyve got some major mess ups within that religion.

That being said, its not a different version of the Bible, its a different religion in itself, not based totally on the message of the Bible.

Catholicism is based around the teachings of Jesus Christ. It's a Christian religion.

Hulk Smash!!

# 10
stackny
stackny
03/07/2006 12:38 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOneno... let's not.

like greed and sex doesn't seem to get Evangelical leaders?

Swaggart: caught in bed w/prostitute at a Travel Inn.
Bakker: long-standing affair w/secretary, embezzled millions of dollars from his church to finance his excess, jailed for tax evasion and racketeering.
Pat Robertson: absurd delusions of grandeur; claims every bad thing that's happened to anyone he disagrees with is because God is punishing them for his insolence.

there are more...

That being said, its not a different version of the Bible, its a different religion in itself, not based totally on the message of the Bible.[/QUOTE]

Hey, didnt say we were perfect either. Pat Robertson is a whack job btw. Dont use televangelists as examples, most of them are messed up and make false claims that they cant back up.

Anyways, Im gonna withdraw from this debate unless theres anything you guys would like me to address. I think we've basically made our points. Cryptic thinks everyone should be open minded of possibilities, I think thats the exact opposite of what religion is.

PS-At least those guys werent RAPING little boys.
# 11
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/07/2006 2:37 am
Originally Posted by: stacknyAnyways, Im gonna withdraw from this debate unless theres anything you guys would like me to address. I think we've basically made our points. Cryptic thinks everyone should be open minded of possibilities, I think thats the exact opposite of what religion is.

Uh...I'm pretty sure that's not quite what Cryptic was saying. But I did find something you and I agree on - ending this debate.
# 12
acapella
acapella
03/07/2006 2:42 am
How many people are actually reading all this? I'm not. It's a bunch of crap, nobody even seems to know WHY they are arguing, or what about.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 13
acapella
acapella
03/07/2006 2:58 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnei don't know if that's really true... i think we all know... and some of us have read everything.

But I know we can all agree on this:

baby penguins are teh 80m8.

Eight zero em eight, man. 'Nuff said.
# 14
jasmina
jasmina
03/07/2006 3:17 am
Holy ****!! ,
Just came across your release of emotions and then read all the replies!! What an amazing world this is to post your feelings and have them acknowledged by complete strangers. No, I am not patronizing you I am merely observing how you call - out for help and you attract an overwhelming supply of support. Yep, I been there and I've felt my brother go through it to - and he is on the so-called "spiritual path", trying to be a great first time dad and hold on to a career. It's not easy being here and experiencing life's f**ked-upness ( is that a word??) . The best thing I can give you is to listen to your heart and not your mind. Your mind is the one that plays tricks of insecurity, hopelessness and feeling abandoned - its your heart that KNOWS you are never alone, always loved, always cherished - yet we always seem to want to believe the mind coz its easier believing the nasty and that everyone is against you - than KNOWing that your loved and you've got nothing to worry about - (where's the excitement in that?). You say that things are never gonna get better - of course they won't if you don't do what Gad says and change it. If you're not gonna do it who will? and don't forget if you want a job done well- do it yourself. That's what this life is,one big task, work, job, always evolving. You don't know how to deal with things coz you've never been there before. Keep telling yourself your girlfriend was good for you then, maybe she's not good for you now. That's not putting anyone down - its just moving on, evolving. I'm a little embarrassed to reply to you coz I think I sound like a raving lunatic. But you're letter has come at a good time for me - since its brought up ideas that i'd forgotten but needed to hear again so in helping you, you have helped me.
A little about myself, well, I hate my f*cking job, but I chose it. I've distanced myself from my friends, but I wanted to . I needed breathing space, now I feel alone. And I'll share with you a bad experience. I just went to a wedding where my ex was a groomsman and was with his new girlfriend, and I sat at a table of 11 people - all couples except me the only single chick at the table. **** it hurt but I was there for my friends who were gettting married. My man was good for me then but I don't want to put up with him now( I still love him, but that doesn't mean I have to like him!) Oh and my best friend and her fiance exchanged ph. no. s to keep in touch with him! guess how left out I felt!! Anyways after i had a good cry, wrote some lyrics, got angry I now think its pretty ****ing funny, and I should get over myself or brush away the cobwebs and just get laid! Phew that was a release I needed! Thanks again! and don't die coz everyone knows you too well and you'll be missed heaps
love Jasmina
# 15
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/07/2006 3:25 am
I had a post here but removed it after asking myself why I'm even posting in this thread anymore.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 16
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
03/07/2006 3:29 am
Hey Jasmina. Hang around here.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 17
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/07/2006 5:05 am
Originally Posted by: stackny

Except the massive non-stop Iron Maiden concert! :D
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 18
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/07/2006 5:13 am
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyI'm sorry if I'm taking what you are saying out of context, but if you show apreciation for the validitity of other faiths, that pretty much means you're admitting yours might be wrong. You can't have doubts about your faith.

No, Eric, perhaps you're right. I am by no means the most devout of Christians - I was an atheist until fairly recently - so perhaps I still do have some doubts about my faith. Even so, I don't think being a faithful Christian means you cannot respect the devotion of others to their respective religions as sacred.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 19
acapella
acapella
03/07/2006 5:16 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusExcept the massive non-stop Iron Maiden concert! :D

It truly IS Hell!!!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.