SCREAMO music

SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
06/10/2005 12:59 pm
I'm sick of hearing of people that listen to 'as I lay dying', and all those bands that claim to be producing music but just scream to cover up for their lack of vocal talent. If you don't agree with my watch this flash video to put in perspective how dumb this "music" is. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/growl.html
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 1
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/10/2005 4:12 pm
Also hate to argue, but to say that a screamer isn't talented is like saying a painter that uses water color isn't talented. It's what you do with what you have and yes there is a skill to singing, screaming and growling. To be able to continually do such a strenous style on your vocal chords without causing severe damage takes a lot of breathing exercises and practice. It can take a lot out of you to keep doing so, so imagine the live performances where they have to perform song after song like that. It's not always easy and takes as much dedication as any other craft. That being said, I don't like as I lay dying.

Editor's note: I hadn't initially seen the video when I posted this. This is after I watched it and that music is so completely far away from screamo dude. In my opinion, that music grabs screamo by the balls and rips them right off... and in some cases even eats them and/or the person they were originally attached to. That being said, I'd be lying if I didn't laugh my ass off at the video. Generalized, but who cares. Funny concept. Or maybe I liked it because I liked the song... who knows. I approve.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
06/10/2005 6:01 pm
I'm not a fan of any type of music that I can't atleast tell what they are saying...However, I respect every band/group/singer as an artist. Art is something people do to be individuals and not to be like everyone else. The people that really bug me are the ones that make records just to sell them... Example... Hillary Duff and Lindsey Lohan. I don't like that kind of music but other people do. That's fine by me. I do know one thing... Cyptic is right, I tried to scream/growl lyrics one time, you know, just messing around... and I could barely talk the next day. I have respect for anyone that can create something from nothing, no matter the quality or style...
# 3
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
06/10/2005 6:46 pm
That video was hilarious. Why didn't I think of something like that. It's not my style of music, but think about how disappointing it would be if we took the entire spectrum of music and only focused on one little bit and made everyone like it.

I kind of like having music that I feel is my own. Aside from you guys, most people don't know who Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie, Eric Johnson, Petrucci, etc are. I like it that way.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
06/10/2005 9:40 pm
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionI'm sick of hearing of people that listen to 'as I lay dying', and all those bands that claim to be producing music but just scream to cover up for their lack of vocal talent. If you don't agree with my watch this flash video to put in perspective how dumb this "music" is. http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/growl.html

That song would be SO COOL with real vocals.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
06/11/2005 1:48 am
Originally Posted by: CW14Why does it bother you what other people listen to? Their musical preference is just as valid as yours.
You may not like it, but they are not untalented.

I'm not saying I like that stuff though...

It bothers me for the same reason that it may bother you when somone listens to britney spears. I mean you and I both know that that music goes through so much digital processing and correction that the final product is completley different than what was originally produced.

Doing breathing exercise to practice screaming takes endurance but lets be real, does it really bring joy to your ears to hear somone sing like they are going to cough up their own lung? To me it is very tasteless and talentless. How can you get the meaning of the song in the lyrics if you want even understand it? And the video that I posted may not be screamo but they still scream and growl in the song just like screamo does. Point being that even though screaming in a song and calling it words may take practice, its a waste of talent. Its such a waste because these screamo bands have such good guitar and riffs and it is horribly tainted by this SCREAMING, its like pouring red whine on beatiful white carpet. Why do breathing exercises to practice screaming when you can practice ACTUALLY SINGING LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. I respect everyones opinion but to me it screamo is the STUPIDEST genre of music since rap.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/flash/growl.html

"CLEAR YIR THROAT FOR VS 2!!!" LOL!!! :p
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/11/2005 3:00 am
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionHow can you get the meaning of the song in the lyrics if you want even understand it?

I have less trouble understanding Blood Brothers (and Dying Fetus and Scissorfight, for that matter) than I do Bob Dylan.

Why listen to Finntroll or tune into Radio Darvish when I don't even speak the langauges that the songs are being sung in?

To me, music is music and screaming/growled vocals are just another dynamic and asthetic tool in a band's pallet. It can be done poorly and it can be done badly. However, I'm not about to write off a band for doing it until I've heard them do their thing because, frankly, if I did do that sort of thing, I would have never exposed myself to a lot of outstanding music.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
06/11/2005 11:49 am
take a listen to bands like Atreyu and The Used, then qucikly change your mind about vocalists that scream!

speaking of the whole screamo/emo thing, what do you guys think of Fighstar?
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/11/2005 4:46 pm
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortion
Doing breathing exercise to practice screaming takes endurance but lets be real, does it really bring joy to your ears to hear somone sing like they are going to cough up their own lung?[/QUOTE]
www.metal-archives.com has 9144 death metal bands alone registered in their databse. There are also more bands registered in the death metal category than there are in any other individual genre. The second closest is black metal with 7891.

Originally Posted by: SoulDistortion
How can you get the meaning of the song in the lyrics if you want even understand it?[/QUOTE]
You don't have to understand lyrics to understand the music, so what's it matter? Is someone else's verbal translation of music really that important to you? And some of the bands have really stupid lyrics so it's not always a bad thing that you can't understand them.

[QUOTE=SoulDistortion]
Its such a waste because these screamo bands have such good guitar and riffs and it is horribly tainted by this SCREAMING, its like pouring red whine on beatiful white carpet.

So if I was to make a song that I felt was perfect in its final form and I was 100% happy with what I'd done, but it because I growled I'm wasting my time and talent? Despite the fact that I'm still able to talk to my friends right after I growl.

[QUOTE=SoulDistortion]
Why do breathing exercises to practice screaming when you can practice ACTUALLY SINGING LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO. I respect everyones opinion but to me it screamo is the STUPIDEST genre of music since rap.

Let's single that out. "ACTUALLY SINGING LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO". Beg your pardon, but I don't think it's in the constitution that people have to sing instead of growl. And I think we've already been over the rap thing, so spare us that one and leave it out.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 9
Renisenb
Renisenb
06/11/2005 6:26 pm
To me it's just a matter of taste... simple as that.

I actually kind of like some screaming in certain songs. Fuel's song "Down" has just enough screaming that it's pretty darn cool. I also like "What if" by Creed... I love how he keeps screaming "What if, what if, what if I?"
To me it has to be mixed in just right, and there absolutely must be heavy guitar to balance everything out IMO.

One thing I really don't go for, however, is Cannibal Corpses. One of my friends likes them... all I can say is whew... now if anyone takes the cake for the most deep growl/screaming music, they do. Period.
# 10
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
06/12/2005 1:41 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic Excretionswww.metal-archives.com has 9144 death metal bands alone registered in their databse. There are also more bands registered in the death metal category than there are in any other individual genre. The second closest is black metal with 7891.

It seems to me you are attempting to say this "WELL LOOK man! death metal is popular, everyone likes it" Well excuse me but look at rap today, everyone likes it, does that mean its good music? of course not, you are being nieve by using that as an example.

You don't have to understand lyrics to understand the music, so what's it matter? Is someone else's verbal translation of music really that important to you? And some of the bands have really stupid lyrics so it's not always a bad thing that you can't understand them.

If I dont understand the lyrics than is their even ANY POINT in writiting words to a song?! no the point of lyrics is defeated and lyrics are a LARGE portion of a songs meaning. Sometimes lyrics are they only thing that keeps a band afloat. If you think that lyrics aren't important you obviously havent done your homework.

So if I was to make a song that I felt was perfect in its final form and I was 100% happy with what I'd done, but it because I growled I'm wasting my time and talent? Despite the fact that I'm still able to talk to my friends right after I growl.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to convey here but it seems to me you are running out of points against me. If I havent come up with at least 1 point to show you how Bad this genre of music is then you need to open yourself to my opinion more. I can't really open myself to your opinion because I just cant, no matter how hard I try, discover why you are arguing this point.

Let's single that out. "ACTUALLY SINGING LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO". Beg your pardon, but I don't think it's in the constitution that people have to sing instead of growl. And I think we've already been over the rap thing, so spare us that one and leave it out.

What came first, singing or growling? (singing) What sounds better? (singing) What takes more time to perfect? (singing) What is understandable? (singing) What can contain variety and allow the singer to insert his own personallity into the words he speaks? (singing) If there was a constitution of music then yes it certainly would include Rule #1. You must at least make an attempt to sing, if you can not sing then do not give up and start doing godzilla impressions, keep practicing you may get it some day.

I appologize if I have offended you in someway, I have presendted you with my hardcore opinion as well as HARDCORE FACTS. If you have to make a response to defend ANYTHING MORE on this matter than you obviously do not have the ability to LEARN. :rolleyes:
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 11
alucard0941
alucard0941
06/12/2005 2:06 am
Dude, if you want to win the argument, just dont post. The more you post, the more people will get pissed. If I were you, I would just leave and let people argue to among themselves.
I vision this getting locked
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 12
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/12/2005 2:35 am
I know it's long, but read it all. I read everything you wrote.

Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionIt seems to me you are attempting to say this "WELL LOOK man! death metal is popular, everyone likes it" Well excuse me but look at rap today, everyone likes it, does that mean its good music? of course not, you are being nieve by using that as an example.

No, what I'm saying is look at how many people create that style of music. If no one wanted to hear it then why would there be so many people playing it? Why would bands like Morbid Angel and Cannibal Corpse have gone platinum? If no one wanted to hear it then none of them would be making a living off it.

If I dont understand the lyrics than is their even ANY POINT in writiting words to a song?! no the point of lyrics is defeated and lyrics are a LARGE portion of a songs meaning. Sometimes lyrics are they only thing that keeps a band afloat. If you think that lyrics aren't important you obviously havent done your homework.

If I don't think lyrics are important then I don't know what I'm talking about? Have you ever enjoyed an instrumental song? Have you ever considered how a song was structured together and how people harmonize instead of worrying about what someone else is saying? ****, why listen to Satriani? All he does is instrumentals(sic), so why bother if he doesn't have anything to say? I look at lyrics on a similar level to a song, but I don't need lyrics that I can understand, relate to, or even consider to enjoy a song. Most of the CDs I have I couldn't recite one lyric. Why's that? Because I'm just not that worried about it.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to convey here but it seems to me you are running out of points against me. If I havent come up with at least 1 point to show you how Bad this genre of music is then you need to open yourself to my opinion more. I can't really open myself to your opinion because I just cant, no matter how hard I try, discover why you are arguing this point.

That's the thing, all you've come up with are opinions. When you give me factual information that death metal is a waste of my time and talent then I will reconsider, but until then I will continue to enjoy listening and playing death metal. I know why I'm arguing. It's because I am a loyal death metal fan and to say that I'm talentless because I'm involved in a genre you don't approve of is complete balderdash. I'm not the greatest, but I've dedicated my entire life to making myself as good as I can... and death metal plays a big part in that. The initial point I was getting at was that you're saying that regardless of my sweeping, my taps, my harmonies, solos, everything I put into my techniques to make it as I see fit, it's a waste of my talent because you don't like it. That's a complete load and you, like previously stated, contradict yourself when you say you can respect others' opinions. So let me get that last bit straight. I need to open up to your opinion because you lack the ability to open up to mine? You don't even know what all I listen to. You know I like death metal so far. What else do I know about me through generalizations?

What came first, singing or growling? (singing) What sounds better? (singing) What takes more time to perfect? (singing) What is understandable? (singing) What can contain variety and allow the singer to insert his own personallity into the words he speaks? (singing) If there was a constitution of music then yes it certainly would include Rule #1. You must at least make an attempt to sing, if you can not sing then do not give up and start doing godzilla impressions, keep practicing you may get it some day.

What? Which came first? Gospel music or hip hop? Obviously gospel, but that doesn't make it right. Music is an evolving process and if we all kept taking the same route then music would get so watered down and it'd all be the same. I don't sing. I don't want to sing. I don't like singing. It's not something I have a remote interest in working on. I enjoy growling. It makes me feel good when I growl. I feel better about myself when I get deep and gutteral sound. It's not because I don't know how to get better at regular singing, it's because I don't like to sing the normal way. And why should I do something I don't have any care to do in music? It makes sense to me that if I don't want to be a good country guitarist then I shouldn't bother to learn the style. In essence it's the same thing. Why waste time perfecting a craft that I have no desire to use?

I appologize if I have offended you in someway, I have presendted you with my hardcore opinion as well as HARDCORE FACTS. If you have to make a response to defend ANYTHING MORE on this matter than you obviously do not have the ability to LEARN. :rolleyes:

opinions and facts don't work in the same sentance. They're opposites. You can't prove your opinions while proving facts at the same time. It's just contradicting. As far as I'm concerned, the only "hardcore fact" you've proven is that you don't know the difference between As I Lay Dying, Screamo, and Death Metal.

Try joining the debate team in your school dude. Try telling them that if they rebuttle they lack the ability to learn. It's how a debate goes. You voice your opinion and the others react as they see fit. It's a debate. A simple debate on opinions. So when you respond to my views it's ok, but when I respond to you I lack the ability to learn? Isn't that a tad biased for something based around opinions? I don't even know where to start on the comment about my ability to learn. Coming from someone that doesn't know what I do for a living, what I do with my guitar, or anything else that really doesn't hurt my feelings. But saying such a statement in this context puts you under the same umbrella. And I'll spare you the "why" question and tell you that it's because you pass off your opinions as fact and accuse others of not knowing what they're talking about and just loft a statement like "you obviously do not have the ability to LEARN. :rolleyes:" into the fray like you have some sort of key to all the knowlege in the world.

Editor's note: Dear god that's long.

Hulk Smash!!

# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/12/2005 5:31 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOneG.G. Allin's band (i can't type the name here)

That would be The Murder Junkies.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/12/2005 6:56 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOnewell i can type AIDS Brigade as well and that won't get censored, but, i'm talking about the most famous incarnation...

kind of a profane version of "bottom-like vagina."

A.C.?

They never backed up GG. They DID take their name from a GG Allin song, however.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/12/2005 1:08 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOnemine's longer ;)

Blast you... oh well... what was I expecting from the king himself?

Hulk Smash!!

# 16
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
06/13/2005 1:24 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovA.C.?

They never backed up GG. They DID take their name from a GG Allin song, however.

Actually the way the band got their name was the originator of the band (Seth something or another) wrote down all the profane words he could think of and started combining all of them to see if he could find any with a special ring to it and the GG Allen song was just coincidental. That's what I read anyway so, what do I know?

Hulk Smash!!

# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
06/13/2005 1:50 am
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsActually the way the band got their name was the originator of the band (Seth something or another) wrote down all the profane words he could think of and started combining all of them to see if he could find any with a special ring to it and the GG Allen song was just coincidental. That's what I read anyway so, what do I know?

That could be, but I have trouble imagining Boston-based Seth Putnam being unaware of New Hampshire-born GG Allin's work.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 18
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
x0o_BurnOut_o0x
06/13/2005 4:24 am
OW, Sorry for ur luck Social D. Its rather funny, almost all the threads that start off with "[insert genre]music SUCKS" , the creator of that particular thread most of the time gets burned. And to make matters even more curious its by the same couple people over and over. Id hate to be the one PonyOne, or Rask comes down on.
We've been dancin' with Mr. Brownstone...
# 19
Renisenb
Renisenb
06/13/2005 4:56 am
I like debating stuff... it's interesting... but can't we all just get along? :D
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.