Could it be?!

paradyme
paradyme
02/05/2005 1:37 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseI wouldnt say Im a die hard fan.. Im one of many people who have followed this band for years waiting patiently!

I rarely start threads about gnr, only mention them in polls.

Id bet everything I own that the new album will set records! I know people who hate guns n roses but are planning on buying the album simply outa curiosity.

The evidence for GnRs domination is endless! Even Yahoo pool rooms are named after guns n roses! Its like everywhere you go, even today, even 10 years after they disbanded, people are still as enthusiastic about them!

Even their Greatest hits album, which wasnt even bought by their fan base, sold about 6 million last year when it was released.

This is just a side note, but when I think of GnR, I remember that Appetite for destruction came out when I was in 7th grade, and compared to what was on the radio- think: new kids on the block, debbie gibson, blah blah blah, they just brought such a ferocious attitude and blaring noise and the kind of power that I would compare to Iggy and the Stooges or the NY Dolls or even the Sex Pistols. Compared to an otherwise boring musical landscape, they were a breath of fresh air. With all their musical imperfections, they brought a desperately needed view of a world that wasn't all love songs or shiny happy people (not that the REM disc this song was on was a contemporary- out of time comes later, I know...) but GnR kicked mainstream music in the butt in a big way, and even though I don't listen to them at this point in my life, GnR always has my respect. . . but um . . . yeah, that's just my random 2 cents.

peace out
[FONT=Times New Roman]The rich get richer til the poor get educated.[/FONT]
-Sage Francis
# 1
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/05/2005 2:34 am
I just dont know of any other that have been in GnRs position...

Name a band as Big as GnR were.. that fell apart so abruptly.. then fell into a 10 year period of rumours and speculation. When most other bands of that genre and era split, no one cared. GnR have an unbelievable following for a badn that only function for 5 years in the limelight and only really had 2 albums.

You couldnt script a more intreguing story if you tried.
# 2
paradyme
paradyme
02/05/2005 2:40 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseI just dont know of any other that have been in GnRs position...

Name a band as Big as GnR were.. that fell apart so abruptly.. then fell into a 10 year period of rumours and speculation. When most other bands of that genre and era split, no one cared. GnR have an unbelievable following for a badn that only function for 5 years in the limelight and only really had 2 albums.

You couldnt script a more intreguing story if you tried.

Their story is remarkably similar to the Sex Pistols- same deal 2 albums but what a stir! I think that you would need to be from the UK to understand how radical the Pistols were for their time, but the bands are remarkably similar. Both changed the world of music. What it comes down to is that like either band or hate either band, they both had a HUGE impact on the world.
-Sage Francis
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/05/2005 2:44 am
Did the sex pistols ever get back together after those 2 albums? Were there rumours of such a reunion? My pistols knowledge is limited!
# 4
paradyme
paradyme
02/05/2005 2:54 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseDid the sex pistols ever get back together after those 2 albums? Were there rumours of such a reunion? My pistols knowledge is limited!

They did, but it was obviously a cash in- after the Great Rock and Roll Swindle (which was also a cash in on nevermind the bollocks), they were dormant for ages- they did a US and UK tour in the summer of like 97 I think- in support of the Filthy Lucre disc they put out (it was done early on the tour and kinda sucked but...) Anyway, even though Glen Matlock is a better bass player than Sid Vicious was (hell my roomate's cat is a better bass player than sid was- that's one groovy cat lemme tell you)... it just wasn't the same. I went with my brother for his birthday- he was a huge Pistols fan, so I saw em too... I was always more into the Clash. Early Clash mind you.

The Pistols weren't new or raw or shocking, so it was kind of neat on one hand to see them, but on the other hand, watching a bunch of 12 year olds in Pantera shirts trying to mosh to it kinda bummed me out.
-Sage Francis
# 5
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/05/2005 7:08 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_Rose*shakes head*

Pantallica... what the heck has that got to do with anything? I dont mind arguing with people but for god sake argue properly. Those two quotes are so far from the point its almost funny.

You cant quote certain parts of a quote! Thats called slander! I think the fact that a matter of words before the "VR are the best band ever, even pets love them, if pets dont love them then they dont love metal", I said "I THINK THATS KINDA TRUE!".

Anyway, the only part that made me get aggressive in this thread was akira accusing me of not accepting other peoples opinions. Which was crap because everyone opposed my proposal of GnR being massive and I didnt lose my rag and say people were wrong.

Im sick of people butting into threads with no intension other than to stir things or pick people up on silly mistakes or contradictions.

I dont freakin go around talking about music other than on here!! Just because some guy made a passing remark to me at a music fair 2 years doesnt disprove my claim of not speaking about music!!!

*gets off soapbox* :mad:

It has a lot to do with me proving my point.

I am in agreement with Akira. You don't listen to anyone elses opinions. You form your own, then when people respond, you quickly disregard them and keep going on about how GnR is the greatest rock band ever formed.

They were good. I'm not going to lie. Who doesn't sing along to "Sweet Child O' Mine" or "Welcome to the Jungle?"

The fact is, it's not the same band. It's Axle Rose. That's it.

And by the way, slander is not written, it's spoken. For it to be slander, it would have to be 1) False. and 2) hurtful to your reputation.

Libel is written.

Anyways, get back on your soapbox and tell me how many millions of records they're going to sell and how awesome they are even without Slash. I won't buy it.

But if it's good, I'm happy for you and them.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 6
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/05/2005 12:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1And by the way, slander is not written, it's spoken. For it to be slander, it would have to be 1) False. and 2) hurtful to your reputation.

Libel is written.

See what I mean. Why are you being a prick? What has spelling got do with this topic?!?! :mad: We live in different countries. Slander can be written or spoken in my country. Newspapers are often accused of producing slanderous articles so shut up and stop being a smart ass.

Take one quote from me in this thread where ive "quickly disregarded" someones elses opinion. If Ive disagreed with something Ive offered evidence for it. Ive done so in a civilised manner and said "what about this though". Ive never smacked down anyone or that.
# 7
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/05/2005 4:22 pm
Im done arguing. Just look at your first post though mate, was there any need to say what you said? It was obvious it was gona get a reaction.
# 8
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/05/2005 8:22 pm
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseIm done arguing. Just look at your first post though mate, was there any need to say what you said? It was obvious it was gona get a reaction.

Dude, I wasn't being a prick. Go back and reread this thread. Anytime anyone makes a good point, you don't even respond to the points made. You pick out one particular point that you can go off on a tangent about and disregard the others.

If you give your opinion, and ask for others to post theres, when there is a contradiction, you get pissed. Simple as that.

And by the way, did I ever call you names? I believe I was conversing with you fair and square and never once reverted to name calling.
# 9
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/06/2005 2:30 am
Its a discussion.. threads dont always have to be replies or totally integrated. People were just chipping in with their two cents, listing facts and opinions. It was going well!!

It went bad when akira accused me of not accepting other peoples opinions which was crap. Read the thread up unitl akira posted. It was fine! It was civilised and informative until that point :rolleyes:

Everyone gets annoyed when people add to threads without reading them first.. and to me it looks like akira didnt actually read it because I he got me completely wrong.

Too many people sit on the sidelines of threads and then jump in simply looking for an argument or chance to be smart and pick people up on their grammar of use of the english language.
# 10
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/06/2005 2:31 am
Back to the topic :P

I watched my video of the new GnR at the VMAs2002.

They ahvent lost it guys!! GnR are still a great RnR specticle!
# 11
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/06/2005 12:49 pm
See, you make a an antagonising remark and you couldnt even care less. Dont bother in the future.
# 12
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/06/2005 10:43 pm
GnRs comeback!!

The drummer has said today that the album is being mixed as we speak and the tour planned. Apparently Europe in the Summer. This is AMAZING!! If velvet revolver could get 75,000 UK fans at thier gigs, imagine how many will be queueing up for GUNS N ROSES!!!!! :)
# 13
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
02/07/2005 1:16 am
Hmm... I think far more people will be interested in what "AXL ROSE" is up to than "SLASH".

Didnt axl always get more attension? Plus axl is so illusive.
# 14
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/07/2005 2:16 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_RoseHmm... I think far more people will be interested in what "AXL ROSE" is up to than "SLASH".

Didnt axl always get more attension? Plus axl is so illusive.

I disagree. Slash was the staple of GnR. The top hat, the cigarette, the shades, and the giant curly hair.

I think Axle's downfall was when he went crazy over the fan taking pictures at their show.
# 15
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/07/2005 2:45 am
Originally Posted by: Axl_Rose
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovWhy bother?

You're doing a fine job of it all by yourself.[/QUOTE]
Great contribution! Thats up there in the all time great come backs, along with the classic "I know you are, but what am I" when someone calls you a name :p

No wonder Lordathestrings has such a high post count.. its all spam![/QUOTE]
1). I am not responding to something you said to me, therefore it is not a comeback.

2). I can think of very few Lordathestrings posts that are not at least somewhat informative. If nothing else, he's probably dropped more helpful technical information upon this forum than the rest of us combined.

Originally Posted by: Axl_Rose[QUOTE=Lordathestrings][QUOTE=Axl_Rose]Axl was a control freak... every song had to be perfect or he'd throw a fit and cry.

November Rain, along with many of GnRs later hits, was around before the first album. He was just such a perfectionist that he wouldnt release things unless he was totally happy with them!...
[font=trebuchet ms]Uhh, so why does "Patience" have such sloppy acoustic guitar playing on it? Just for starters...[/font]

Because Patience, and the other acoustic songs on that EP, were released in a hurry to give the fans something to listen to while they worked on the Illusions albums.

3). You can't even keep your story straight in this thread; do you really need for those of us that are so inclined to start digging through the copious amounts of material you've given us in other threads to further prove our assorted points?

I don't think anybody here blames you for being pumped that your favorite band is putting out a new album again. God knows that if I ever found out that Morphine was putting out another album of original material, I'd have to change my pants.

HOWEVER:

• 4/5 of the people responsible for making that band what it was are not even remotely involved with it today -- surely you can understand the healthy skepticism most of us feel towards what is today being called "Guns and Roses."

• I know it's not the case, but I have A LOT of trouble thinking of a thread where you haven't brought up GnR or Velvet Revolver. The "you only talk about Guns n' Roses" crowd does have something of a point that maybe you should consider for a moment or three.

• As much as you may love GnR (and justifiably so), other people can, do, and will hate them with equal justification and vigor. If there is room for your opinion, there has to be room for theirs as well.

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/07/2005 4:52 am
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov1). I am not responding to something you said to me, therefore it is not a comeback.

2). I can think of very few Lordathestrings posts that are not at least somewhat informative. If nothing else, he's probably dropped more helpful technical information upon this forum than the rest of us combined.

3). You can't even keep your story straight in this thread; do you really need for those of us that are so inclined to start digging through the copious amounts of material you've given us in other threads to further prove our assorted points?

I don't think anybody here blames you for being pumped that your favorite band is putting out a new album again. God knows that if I ever found out that Morphine was putting out another album of original material, I'd have to change my pants.

HOWEVER:

• 4/5 of the people responsible for making that band what it was are not even remotely involved with it today -- surely you can understand the healthy skepticism most of us feel towards what is today being called "Guns and Roses."

• I know it's not the case, but I have A LOT of trouble thinking of a thread where you haven't brought up GnR or Velvet Revolver. The "you only talk about Guns n' Roses" crowd does have something of a point that maybe you should consider for a moment or three.

• As much as you may love GnR (and justifiably so), other people can, do, and will hate them with equal justification and vigor. If there is room for your opinion, there has to be room for theirs as well.

Well said. But it's to no avail Rask, he'll just snip back a short post and continue on his GnR loving ways.
# 17
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/07/2005 5:11 am
Originally Posted by: Pantallica1Well said. But it's to no avail Rask, he'll just snip back a short post and continue on his GnR loving ways.
[font=trebuchet ms]*sigh* Nothing wrong with loving GnR. They [u]used[/u] to be a pretty good band. I very much doubt that any project put together by Axl Rose is going to recapture the magic.

Which is likely to leave our own Axl_Rose in a sorry way indeed.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 18
paradyme
paradyme
02/07/2005 5:14 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]*sigh* Nothing wrong with loving GnR. They [u]used[/u] to be a pretty good band. I very much doubt that any project put together by Axl Rose is going to recapture the magic.

I used to love them, but I had to kill them? That sort of thing? :D

Sorry guys, I couldn't resist!
-Sage Francis
# 19
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
02/07/2005 5:15 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]*sigh* Nothing wrong with loving GnR. They [u]used[/u] to be a pretty good band. I very much doubt that any project put together by Axl Rose is going to recapture the magic.

I agree there is nothing wrong with loving GnR. They [u]were[/u] a pretty good band. But you just can't have a discussion with him LATS. Which is what I meant by my post.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.