michael angelo or yngwie malmsteen

xpayxphonex
xpayxphonex
09/15/2003 4:45 pm
who do you think would win a guitar duel michael angelo or yngwie. I'm not sure. Both are good.
# 1
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/15/2003 6:57 pm
Michael Angelo, hands down.

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times.

Find your favorite guitar shredder, then ask him to play as fast as normally does, but do it left handed, better yet, at the same time.

Angelo can.

He plays a double neck guitar, not a standard double neck, a guitar that looks like a V, with one side being truely right handed, the other side being truely left handed, and he plays them at the same time. I've even seen a newer model that has 4 necks. That's amazing in itself.

Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 2
xpayxphonex
xpayxphonex
09/15/2003 7:15 pm
well yea michael angelo can do alot of freak stuff like play on two necks at the same time but i am talking about just playing guitar in general. not who is more freaky. To tell you the truth I think if they were on the same record with each other they would probably sound the same, because they play alot alike although yngwie probably cant play left handed. hey i just thought of something; they should make a crossroad 2 with michael angelo and yngwie haveing duel. that would be bad-ass!!!
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
09/15/2003 11:50 pm
Yngwie all the way. His playing sounds good even when its slow, and his classical influences are really made obvious in his guitar playing...all in all, he rocks.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/16/2003 6:20 am
Azrael, pick up the SpeedKills DVD by Michael Angelo.

He plays a melody on the left hand, and the rips a solo with his right hand, a la stick players.

He also plays harmony's on both the guitars. It's quite nice.

I think technically, Angelo is steps ahead of Yngwie. And Angelo's is way faster than him as well. I actually find most of Angelo's songs tolerable, compared to Yngwie who just bores me.

It's all relative though, opinions are opinions.

Pick up the SpeedKills DVD, it's not only entertaining, because Angelo is hilarious, but it also has a plethora of great exercises.
# 5
andy82
andy82
09/16/2003 9:57 am
I must agree I was laughing seeing Angelo for the first time on that clip. Talented bloke.
# 6
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/16/2003 4:49 pm
I agree Angelo's old tone was not very nice, the newer songs he has put out (Prog) have a much nicer tone.

I disagree on the vibrato and phrasing comment. Angelo has a stellar vibrato. But those are you opinions, I have mine.

As for the metronome. I have tried. He's well over 208bpm on most of the exercises he demonstrates on SpeedKills. And as he's answering questions at the end of his video from students. He answers the one about how fast he can play. He says he doesn't know for sure, but he rips out a lick faster than 208bpm.

As for Angelo's sweeps, far from basic. His broken arpeggio sweeps and his technique is flawless. Go to http://www.mysongbook.com and download the tab for SpeedKills, review it, then see if you agree with yourself.
# 7
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/16/2003 9:00 pm
I never said he was better than Becker or Gambale at sweeping. I said he was better than Yngwie.

I don't know how fast Angelo really gets going, the metronome I got stops at 208 and he was playing way faster than that.

Just because a sweep isn't hard to do, doesn't make him less of a guitarist.
# 8
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/16/2003 9:57 pm
I know it's not an attack, I can have a civilized debate, unlike many others on this board.

I agree with you about other players having more skill and going unnoticed, but that's the way it goes in all walks of life, sports, music, acting. It's just the way it goes.

I feel that Angelo would win, even without the sideshow tricks. Yngwie, (See Also: Diminished run after diminished run) is not as good or as entertaining as Michael Angelo.

But c'mon, you have to admit, being able to shred at insane speeds both left and right handed, or at the same time. Very cool.
# 9
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/17/2003 11:29 am
i still dont get whats so special about this "ambidextrousity" ... i mean - take ANY piano or keyboard player - they got the same and much greater skills - noone is saying "wow - he´s playing with both hands" - i know that its pretty difficult from own experience (stick), but with time it becomes natural and easy. so you didnt see me standing infront of angelo´s performance on the musicfair and saying "oh my god" as some of the others did - i watched his 20 minute wanking for like 5 minutes and went off to marico eiras who also played two-handed, but with much more musicality and interresting ideas

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 10
Fruitbat
Fruitbat
09/17/2003 1:19 pm
er..frankly I dont understand the fixation some posters here have with 'who's the fastest shredder on the planet'. after 20 minute drum solos, metal fretwanking is one of the most yawn inducing things in all music.
# 11
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/17/2003 10:19 pm
Indeed, he talks about that on the video too. Those are just show tricks and he only does it for show. But it's cool to do and watch and keeps me entertained.

ALOT better than Yngwie and his stupid outfits.

Angelo's stage presence blows Yngwie away. Angelo has the double and quad neck, Yngwie has sequence and rhinestones. Personal preference I guess. But to me I'd much rather watch the quad or double neck.

The Ambidextrious thing is awesome. I think it would be very cool to be able to play both right and left handed. It doesn't serve much purpose, but it would be a nice addition to the aresenal. And to me Az, this doesn't compare to stick playing. Stick playing is more like 2 hand tapping, playing a guitar left handed and then playing right handed is not the same.
# 12
nasum_human
nasum_human
09/17/2003 10:36 pm
I'd say angelo, I'm not a fan of endless lightning fast neo classical music though, check out a guy like paul gilbert, he's faster than yngwie and also has an ear for a tune!
James Murphy is my personal guitar god, he writes amazing music, can play like a bastard, and has a tone to DIE for

I thought that Angelo held the record for notes per second at something ludicrous like 43.... but I've probably got it mixed up, and my metronome goes to 240 and he's playing at around that level
guns dont kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they've got a gun)
# 13
xpayxphonex
xpayxphonex
09/18/2003 2:42 am
this thread is screwed up

# 14
xpayxphonex
xpayxphonex
09/18/2003 2:58 am
i am not seeing all the post for some reason but i see most of them. Anyways paul gilbert does sound faster that yngwie and michael angelo. I seen a clip of him playing a guitar solo and towards the end he does these extremely fast alternate picking runs. Its sounds faster than yngwie or michael. His fingers look cooler too. i honestly think paul is better than both. Speed will only get you so far though. Steve Vai my favorite guitarist has speed but he also has alot more. It's going to be interesting seeing yngwie, steve, and joe satch go at it on the G3 tour. I think yngwie's playing will bring out an even more aggressive side of steve and joe's playing which will be very fun to watch.
# 15
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/18/2003 2:25 pm
Originally posted by Pantallica1
And to me Az, this doesn't compare to stick playing. Stick playing is more like 2 hand tapping, playing a guitar left handed and then playing right handed is not the same.

Of course its the same. only because his two neck are not pointing in the same direction? go watch some real good stick players or piano players.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 16
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
09/19/2003 4:15 am
Aiwass(I keep thinking Hiwatt or Akai)...your spelling of poseur has purity and truth behind...I very much like it.
Anyway...I think yngwie "wins"(for me)simply out of versatility...yeah he "wanks" some similar runs,but overall I find his style more listenable and compelling.Alot of his bluesy runs are pretty inovative and not the usual "box" crap.Angelo has this love ballad feel to him that just isnt my cup of pee...so cliche,but its the ears the music falls on that decides whats appealing.For straight out speed and technical ability?I'd throw a couple hundred on yngwie.It might just be a biased opinion since I think yngwies music rocks and angelos tunes are great to fall asleep to.
Try once,fail twice...
# 17
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/19/2003 5:11 am
Az, it's not the same as a stick!!!!

A stick is comparable to 8 finger tapping with low notes meeting in the middle. And piano playing doesn't compare either. I can play the piano as well.

Imagine this: I purchase 2 pianos, one regular and one opposite, meaning the low keys are on the right end and the higher keys on the left end. Now, we join those pianos in the middle with the high notes connecting in the middle. Now play those. Thats how you would compare playing left and right handed guitars at the same time.

Try picking with your non-dominant hand. Playing a stick is not the same as playing left and right handed. I can tap with my right and left hand at the same time, but I could not turn my guitar over and play anything that would sound good left handed.

As far as Yngwie winning on technical ability, a couple hundred on him, if there was a way to measure it, I would take that bet. If you just watched Angelo play, you would see that he is better than Yngwie technically. Check out the Speed Kills DVD (www.metalmethod.com), if you don't like it at least you'll get some great exercises out of it and you'll get to see him play the doubleneck and explain it.

Yngwie did write some great songs. I love "Black Star" I just think overall Angelo is a better musician. As far as the same stuff over and over, that's just his style. Everyone has their style. Yngwie likes his diminished runs while Angelo prefers other things. Every guitarist has that. One thing they rely on.
# 18
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/19/2003 5:53 am
exactly - there is NO difference no matter how the strings are tuned or where the high and low notes are. that just a matter of a few weeks to getting used to it. a stick is also not tuned like two guitars. the guitar side is tuned in descending fourths while the bass is tuned in ascending fifths. when you grab a stick for the first time in your life you´ll be "WTF???" since you have to get used to play a guitar that has the low strings at the bottom with your left hand while tapping a "normal" guitar with your right hand. it is completely unimportant for that "ambidextrousity" thing how the guitars are tuned and in which direction the necks are pointing. the thing is, that you have to be able to play completely different things with both hands at the same time. and that skill can be learned by virtually everybody in a relatively short amount of time. so i dont see any superhero-powers in angelo´s play. i´d bet my ass off that when you would buy a guitar like angelos, you´ll be able to do the same stuff as he does within no time.

[Edited by Azrael on 09-19-2003 at 12:56 AM]

# 19
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/19/2003 10:03 pm
thats just a matter of practice - like everyting else in life

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.