michael angelo or yngwie malmsteen

ketsueki15
ketsueki15
09/20/2003 3:46 am
i agre ab out the non dominant hand picking..im left handed and i pick with my right hand becuase my left hand is more cooridnated than the other..i bet on yngwie..just listen to the live and or cd performance of his concerto suite he does have some catchy classical tunes that arnt all shredded although but he sorta does ruin the classical gutiar by shreddin on it. I dont see angelo writing music for over 80 instruments allthough he didnt write the score he still had the idea treansposed
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 1
Evo
Evo
09/21/2003 2:04 pm
Didn't Vai play a V-shaped double guitar in the early 80's shaped like a love heart?

What the hell is a stick or stick playing?

I'd go with Yngwie simply because although he's arrogant he doesn't do all the stupid stuff angelo does. I've watched clips of angelo on the speedkills thing and when he does the upside down hand thing and when he's tremolo picking and playing notes with his left arm then retreating it quickly back to his side and then repeating it just looks silly and it's not a useful technique.

Isn't playing about getting the music out of your soul and onto a cd, not practicing circus tricks all day?
# 2
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/21/2003 4:27 pm
Originally posted by Evo

What the hell is a stick or stick playing?

http://www.stick.com

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 3
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/22/2003 12:53 am
So how is the stick coming, Az?
# 4
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
09/22/2003 1:22 am
Originally posted by Evo

Isn't playing about getting the music out of your soul and onto a cd, not practicing circus tricks all day?

What if you can get the music out of your soul and onto a cd and do it by playing circus tricks? Then what?

It's just a visual effect. Imagine going to a concert where there were no pyrotechnics or lights or anything. Just a band on a stage with thousands of people in the audience. It might be cool to some, but the presence might not be there.

Michael Angelo performing circus tricks while playing is like asking why a dog licks his own balls.

BECAUSE HE CAN!
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
09/22/2003 5:37 am
Originally posted by chris mood
So how is the stick coming, Az?

iĀ“m making steady progress - sadly i cant spend as much time on it as iĀ“d like to.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 6
Evo
Evo
09/22/2003 5:59 pm
Haha, I see your point.

I guess you can only get so good technically till there's nowhere else to go so he starts learning fancy tricks.

I was just saying that he oughta spend more of his time making good music than practicing tricks. He might be able to blow my mind with his technical skills but I don't own any of his cd's.
# 7
u10ajf
u10ajf
09/23/2003 9:58 pm
It's heartening to hear what you have to say about ambidexterity Azrael. I agree that people don't go "OH my god" when they see a pianist play with both hands, but on the other hand it does probably require more accuracy to hit strings in the right place compared to a piano key. I prefer Malmsteem to Michael Angelo but I've only seen one Angelo clip and heard one other track. The clip made me sick! He was floated into the arena on wires with this ridiculous 4 neck guitar, and the music before the solo was the pits, total cliched cross dressing hair metal with awful lyrics. Personally I totally envy the guys technique but then I've never had a double neck and don't know what i couldn't do it given some practice. i've been trying to learn to play right handedly and find that picking with my left (non-dominant) hand is really hard.

Anyway, what's the difference between war guitar and chapman stick? What's best?

I think you guys should check out Adam Fulura's website. he's on this forum sometimes and he's extremely talented. He plays a double neck with both necks pointing the same way and both strung conventionally I think. He plays classical music and stuff like the maple leaf rag. I'd rather listen to him than Michael Angelo any day.

Is it really true that it doesn't matter how the necks are arranged? Surely there are pros and cons to each orientation? Can anyone tell me what they are? I want a double neck or a chapman stick or something.

Actually i suspect that several people on this forum whip very very major butt and are probably up there with all the big names we seem regularly to revere. I'm sure many of you could eat me alive both as technical players and (more especially) as musicians even though I spend hours every day practicing and virtually never play anything that is easy by ordinary standards.

Personally I'd love to be able to do the 2 handed thing so I could play big chorusy chords with close intervals just like pianists do, I think it sounds wonderful. I think that having a greater variety of potential harmonies and greater part independence and not fret wanking are the holy grails of tapping. Tapping's kind of cheating anyway: isn't it easier to allocate a different part to each hand than it is to do what classical players do and split parts across each hand? Classical players have to know the fretboard so well to make things physically playable, neoclassical players can cheat cause the electric guitar's so damn easy to play by comparison.

If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 8
Death55
Death55
11/27/2003 1:37 pm
Dont bother judging angelo if u have only seen one clip of him play. Also playing a piano is completly different to playing a right handed guitar and a left handed guitar at the same guitar ! I dont just think the fact that he can play two guitars at once makes him better,i think the fact that he can shred and it still sounds good makes him a very good guitarist and anyone who says "he only ever shreds" their wrong cuz if u actually take some time to listen to his stuff then u would realize that he plays some great slow stuff too.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 9
sambob
sambob
11/27/2003 4:39 pm
I have so say I'm agreeing with Azrael here, Michael Angelo is boring, end of story.

And yes, I've seen him play (both on video and up close). He's very talented, but he's boring!

When people ask me which Michael Angelo album they should buy, the answer is always "No Boundries". Once you've heard that, you've heard everything he has to offer.

And I don't see how you can even compare Yngwie's and Angelo's stage presence.

They both need to get a haircut (or in Angelos case, get a new piece) and stop dressing like its 1985.

And as far as the actual composition goes...just because Michael Angelo is playing a thousand notes per minute doesn't mean its all that complex. He even admits it himself, all his playing is is a few short patterns played over and over again combined. And he's not really faster than Yngwie either. Even a lot of Yngwie fans haven't really heard him play in the last few years. Check out his latest studio album, or better yet... check out his tracks on Derek Sherinian's newest album "Black Utopia". Yngwie's solo on the first track "The Fury" is the absolute fastest I've ever heard, and (this is impressive even by yngwie's standards), he picks it all, rather than doing his usuall half-assed combination of every legato and picking style known to man.
"
If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. "

You didn't say that, it was Michael Angelo, talking about himself!

Of course it doesn't really matter, they're both pretty silly.
# 10
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
11/27/2003 6:15 pm
I just like Angelo myself. His music IS more interesting than a bunch of Harmonic Minor runs played over and over again. Also as a person he is a much nicer individual than Yngwie. I have had the pleasure of meeting both.

Also as far as Angelo's writing ability I have heard some beautiful music from him. He has a few nice acoustic pieces out there.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 11
Death55
Death55
11/27/2003 8:43 pm
well said hairbndrckr. Sambob, the fact that u say that angelo's music is boring after u have heard no boundries is only a personal opinion and malmasteen may be able to play fast in "fury", which btw i thought was actually derek playing that solo !! Angelo can play fast for well over half a minute which he demonstrates in "full force" which i think is a better example of good shredding. Anyway , i have talked to angelo and he is a cool guy too :)

By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 12
sambob
sambob
11/27/2003 11:30 pm
I think you misunderstood what I said.

I just said that yngwie CAN play that fast.

And I own all of Michael Angelo's albums, I've heard all of his work (I even have the Nitro album, in fact, i even have a couple of bootlegs from a few bands in which he did not play the guitar, but SANG). Of course I inherited most of them, but I still have them and I've listened to them.

And really, what scales do you think michael angelo plays over? Natural and harmonic minor, the same ones that 90% of all neoclassical shredders never deviate from.

Of course, I think both Yngwie and Angelo overplay, just too much, they should have more keyboard solos and less guitar.

If you've ever heard Michael Harris you'll find this quote rather funny "I think Yngwie overplays too much"
# 13
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/28/2003 11:42 am
u10ajf:

Chapmanstick and warr-guitar are both touchstyle instruments. they both look and sound differnt. its up to personal preference i guess. the thing is, that on a warr you can also use a normal picking technique as far as iĀ“ve seen. the stick is easier accessible for there is no body in the way and it is playid in an upright position, making it easier for the right hand to access the fretboard without oddly twisting it.

if you are realy into touchstyle, i strongly recommend one of the genuine touchstyle instruments ( i posted alot of links in the places to go-section ) for the strings have a different tension, thus making it easier to tap them compared to a regular guitar. but TRY them first. there is no such thing as a 150 bucks Squier-Stick. dont buy it unless you know what you are doing for it is pretty damn expensive.

i personally think, that the stick was one of the best investments i did this far.

# 14
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2003 3:36 am
Originally posted by Azrael
I personally think, that the stick was one of the best investments i did this far.

Ok, I'm really sorry, Azrael, but I am a grammar nut. The actual phrase is "thus far." And I'm so sorry for being a bitch about it, but being meticulous about grammar is just a thing I have.

[Edited by Jolly McJollyson on 11-29-2003 at 11:16 AM]
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 15
sambob
sambob
11/29/2003 2:34 pm
Also is English even his first language?
# 16
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2003 5:18 pm
Originally posted by aiwass
Also, never start a sentence with "And..." :D

Starting a sentence with a conjunction has become fairly widely accepted if you refrain from doing it all the time. And yes, it IS "Meticulous about grammar"...****...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 17
SymphonyX
SymphonyX
11/29/2003 6:41 pm
Hello, I'm new here. I just happened to stumble across this forum while google searching for the tab of the Michael Angelo song "Yngwie can't touch this" and i honestly laughed my ass off when seeing this topic. But after reading almost every post...I noticed everyone had their opinions on Angelo and Malmsteen. I honestly don't think you can compare speed with melodic structure, however there's one guitarist i don't believe anyone mentioned who i believe can honestly do both. Michael Romeo, of the band Symphony X, can phrase better and can play faster than either Angelo or Malsteen if you ask me. And to think that the student surpassed the teacher (being that Angelo taught Romeo). Michael Romeo is my favorite guitarist and if you really want to see a good instructional video with awesome exercises, you should check out his Guitar Chapter video. The greatest thing about Romeo to me, is that along with being a guitar mastermind, he can compose symphonies into his music. If you ever want to hear a masterpiece by the band Symphony X, pick up their newest album "The Odyssey" where their final song on the album is a 24 minute masterpiece, that totally surpasses Angelo's or Yngwie's melodic composition. I saw them last nigt perform at the Galaxy in Santa Ana and I must say, it was the best damn show i've been to in about 4 years. So anyway, if you want to hear a guitarist with speed, precision, and high grade theory composition, check out Michael Romeo and his band Symphony X.

My Top Ten favorite guitarists:

Michael Romeo
Paul Gilbert
Michael Angelo
Chris Impellitteri
Uli Jon Roth
Stanley Jordan
John Petrucci
Yngwie Malmsteen
Gary Hoey
Steve Lukather
# 18
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/29/2003 7:01 pm
Michael Romeo does come up every once in a while in people's lists of their favorite guitarists. I've never heard him before, but I'll be sure to check him out now.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 19
SymphonyX
SymphonyX
11/30/2003 3:33 am
Yeah sorry my mistake, Romeo was inspired by Angelo's Star Licks vid, I was thinking of Tom Morello who was his student.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.