Maybe you want to live forever
I wouldn't have it another way
But there's one thing, please don't take away

(Chorus)

I can feel the end now,
coming like the dawning of the day
But i've got just one wish to pray

(chorus)

We've been playing this tune (very slow tune) at gigs, and it has gotten a very "Two Thumbs Up" reaction from crowds.
We start the tune out fast (in the Key of C), and I solo for the intro for about 5 minutes or so, then we gradually bring it down, and about 7 minutes into it, thats when the actual lyrical part of the song starts (modulates to key of F, C's 4th); We go through the lyrics, me playing a solo after each chorus, then at the end, we crank it back to C for the fast part again, and we do vocal adlibbing over it for a few minutes, etc.

The ideals of the song are an expanding 'story' that myself and one of our lyricists are currently working on. Some of you may wonder why there isn't as much of a plot in the story, other than the character's death, and the character is left to the imagination; We are finalizing a "Story" (series of songs woven into one story, all connected in some way), and the character that is dying in this story is being developed right now, so the lyrics will be expanded a few verses, but the main subject line will be the same.

Tell me your throughts.
# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/01/2003 5:16 am
Well man, if you got a 2 thumbs up from the crowd. My thought is you did something right. :) I think I can add something to the whole story line with songs thing your doing cause Ive been doing that for some time. First, is this the first song in the series?? The 7 minute intro says it is, but the lyrics sound more like a middle song. If you push them together and this is the middle song, then a 7 minute interlude could get to be very stagnant. I'd say shorten it if it is, and save the 7 minute solos for either the ending or beginning. I'd say ending to the effect of climax. My opinion, although I haven't heard the song.

Another thing with the lyrics is I can't see a plot, or any reason for this to be a seperate song, sound like part of a song. I know you said that's what your going for, but here's another thought. When writting songs thats make up a bigger story, you generally want each song in that series to tell a story on it's own. After all it's a story. Think of a miniseries or a movie that has three parts, the most popular now Lord of the Rings. Probably the best (cause its the best to explain this) and worst (everybody has done it) example. Notice how each of the 3 parts of the movie has it's own story, plot, and that story does get finished but it ends in a way that makes you want to see the next part. Try thinking of the series in that manner, break each of the songs into a story of it's own but it's really part of a bigger story. This will be good if your record the series and someone wants to just listen to one song. It won't be "he fought the bad guys but they got away", end of song. Each song should be a balance of fulfillment and quessing what happens next. A tough task.

This may be what your doing or maybe your going for something different. Either way checking out some movies will help spark some ideas on how to layout the series. Writting songs this these takes alot of planning and preperation to be done successfully. It's definitely not easy. Best of Luck.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/01/2003 7:10 pm
It's a middle song, more of a 3/4 song (in how far it is in the series, not in time signature), and it gets good reactions because it climaxes twice in the song (once in the beginning, and it builds at the end to a 2nd one), and overall, the music I wrote for it is very good.

I sing this one, and I've had some conflicts with it because it isn't as personal as it could be. Our "main" songwriter writes in the style of Bob Dylan, and next weekend we're going to develop the song more. Our lyricist wrote the lyrics, i wrote the music, but i've written a few extra verses, because I don't think the first verse in the song should be what it is...So i started writing some more lyrics of my own.

You know, my days of youth
They've all passed me by
like a cloud up in the sky

something like that, and i'd add a different chorus for the beginning.

# 3
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/02/2003 5:24 pm
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
[B]It's a middle song, more of a 3/4 song (in how far it is in the series, not in time signature), and it gets good reactions because it climaxes twice in the song (once in the beginning, and it builds at the end to a 2nd one), and overall, the music I wrote for it is very good.

Kool. When you write the climax part do start with writting the climax part then write the pre-buildup to the climax after? Or do you just go with the flow and write up the climax part?

I sing this one, and I've had some conflicts with it because it isn't as personal as it could be. Our "main" songwriter writes in the style of Bob Dylan, and next weekend we're going to develop the song more. Our lyricist wrote the lyrics, i wrote the music, but i've written a few extra verses, because I don't think the first verse in the song should be what it is...So i started writing some more lyrics of my own.

I know I'm the kind of person who doesn't like when someone else plays or sings something I wrote. Your friend probably isn't like that, I'm just a dick. hehe ;) Anyways you should probably come to a compromise with your friend since your singing and he wrote it. You should write something like he wrote but in a way thats easy and natural for you to sing it. The best way I think is to write the songs your going to sing, and vice versa. And save the others for another song that you'll write next. May or may not work for you.

You know, my days of youth
They've all passed me by
like a cloud up in the sky

Cool. Although try shortening the phrase, you don't need three lines to express that one meaning. Alot of useless words that could be traded with more powerful ones. Like "my days of youth passed by like clouds in the sky". Now you have more room for more powerful and emotional descriptive words like "my dark days or my happier days", and "like a storm cloud or rainy cloud". However you want to express the phrase. Think of it as painting a picture with words, you want to listener to see what you mean instead of telling them. Leave room for interpetation too.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 07-02-2003 at 12:26 PM]
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/04/2003 3:20 am
I can tell that you are a seasoned veteran at Songwriting.

I'm working on some more verses, thanks for your help, man!
# 5
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/04/2003 5:58 pm
Yeah and don't over-colorate your lyrics. Too much and the lyrics will sound cheesy. Especially if the song isn't an artistic song. There are many ways a song could be said in, some tips apply to some and some not. A good thing to do is check out your favorite songwritters and read there lyrics. You probably knew that but it's a point in the right direction.

I dunno if I was clear on what words to take out and why. The phrase "my days of youth They've all passed me by". Stay away from restating perspective in one verse like, "my days" and then the next line, "they've all".

Something that is useless is something that is obvious like, "a cloud up in the sky". Of course it's up in the sky. haha ;) Leave it out or if your in need of words to fill the vocal. Use impressionistic words like "a cloud marching accrost the sky".

I like the chorus.
# 6
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/05/2003 12:19 am
Its funny you say that, because thats the only part of the lyrics that i wrote, of the ones that I showed you.

The original one, which our lyricist wrote, went like this

"When I'm Laid Away, Bury me in pine
God's golden cradle, bury me in pine"

I thought "well...It's nice, but It doesn't hit home, as far as who the person is talking to. when i changed it to

If you're a friend of mine, bury me in pine"

It made it sound more like the dying man was talking to someone, and this was his way of asking "Are you a friend, or not?". Another way of interpreting it is, if the song's lyrics were a journal, and somebody found them. And when he wrote "If you're a friend of mine, you'll bury me in pine", it could mean that if you know him, do the right thing.

I'm starting to understand the philosophy; I like Bob Dylan's lyrics a whole lot, I like how he can speak eloquently, and speak like a begger at the same time...You could say thats where I want to go in songwriting, but its harder. I'll get there, though.

[Edited by Incidents Happen on 07-04-2003 at 07:22 PM]
# 7
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/05/2003 3:34 pm
Its funny you say that, because thats the only part of the lyrics that i wrote, of the ones that I showed you.

The original one, which our lyricist wrote, went like this

God's golden cradle, bury me in pine"

I thought "well...It's nice, but It doesn't hit home, as far as who the person is talking to. when i changed it to

If you're a friend of mine, bury me in pine"

Both are good. :) I can definitely see a difference in writting style. I think yours works better with the repetition of the second line. Your friends is cool but god's golden cradle sticks out too much I think. Might sound better if it was "when I'm laid away in god's golden cradle, if your a friend of mine, bury me in pine". Just an idea.

It made it sound more like the dying man was talking to someone, and this was his way of asking "Are you a friend, or not?". Another way of interpreting it is, if the song's lyrics were a journal, and somebody found them. And when he wrote "If you're a friend of mine, you'll bury me in pine", it could mean that if you know him, do the right thing.

In my opinion, I think your on the right path. Now just take it a step further and put yourself mentally in the position the song is being told from. Like a actor puts him/herself into a character in a movie. Become the dying man and imagine what you would say if you were to die tomorrow. Be honest and truthful, great songs are written in such ways.

I'm starting to understand the philosophy; I like Bob Dylan's lyrics a whole lot, I like how he can speak eloquently, and speak like a begger at the same time...You could say thats where I want to go in songwriting, but its harder. I'll get there, though.

A songwriting is both a servant and a master at the same time. You have to learn how to serve your songs to where they meet the expectations of the listener. An example would be writing a song that someone can relate to, but write words that would portray what they are feeling accurately. Best way to do this is to be honest with yourself when you write a song. Taking what I said before about putting yourself in the position of the dying man. Doing this works amazingly but a person who would actually be dying would probably express it better. You also have to learn how to command attention and influence the listener with the words that you write. Example is a sing along chorus, that is catchy enough to get the listener to sing along with it. Dylan had them both, as most great songwriters do. Plant,
Clapton and the list goes on.
# 8
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/06/2003 4:23 am
I'm really taking your advice to heart, and I thank you for the information.

The hardest part about it seems to be just writing things down. I have to get rid of my judgmental views on my writing, i think (as all writers do), and realize that if this isn't a killer tune, big deal, its good practice.

It's harder than today's writers, because I'm not interested in writing in the "I'm Trapped in the maze of my brain, there's no escaping the pain, once we realize we're all the same, i'm going insane", type approach. It's so meaningless, and I'm sorry to those of you on this board that write like that, but the majority of it isn't creative at all.

Just my thoughts.
# 9
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/06/2003 2:23 pm
[B]The hardest part about it seems to be just writing things down.

Yeah that is the hardest part. A good thing to do is carry one of those mini notebooks with you at all times, then when an inspiring moment comes to you(since we can't control when they come) you can easily write them down. You've probably heard alot of great songs were first written on napkins and stuff like that. And don't force yourself to write past an inspiring moment, most of the time you won't like it and you'll drop the song. Save it in a notebook or wherever then something I like to do and works great is read something (lyrics, articles, whatever). Then an ispiring moment usually comes and I finish. Don't worry if it has the same meaning as the song you were first writting, start a new one if it doesn't. Pace yourself and in time you will complete the songs. A good thing to do is plan out a time to work on writting and adding what you can. I like writting at night just because I had a chance to take in the day and I usually have alot to say.

[B]I have to get rid of my judgmental views on my writing, i think (as all writers do), and realize that if this isn't a killer tune, big deal, its good practice.

That's tough and truth is you'll never get completely rid of it. Being your own critic is what makes you better. Some ever say the tougher your critic the better you'll be. That just comes with the teritory. Stick with the idea of writting like you said, don't spend a week trying to revise and rewrite one song because you became over-obssessed with it. Everyone revises there lyrics just don't get obssessed. Let yourself grow honestly and naturally you'll get better.

[B]It's harder than today's writers, because I'm not interested in writing in the "I'm Trapped in the maze of my brain, there's no escaping the pain, once we realize we're all the same, i'm going insane", type approach. It's so meaningless, and I'm sorry to those of you on this board that write like that, but the majority of it isn't creative at all.

Yeah me neither, although I think it started out as being honest then it became trendy.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.