View post (When I'm Laid Away)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/02/2003 5:24 pm
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
[B]It's a middle song, more of a 3/4 song (in how far it is in the series, not in time signature), and it gets good reactions because it climaxes twice in the song (once in the beginning, and it builds at the end to a 2nd one), and overall, the music I wrote for it is very good.

Kool. When you write the climax part do start with writting the climax part then write the pre-buildup to the climax after? Or do you just go with the flow and write up the climax part?

I sing this one, and I've had some conflicts with it because it isn't as personal as it could be. Our "main" songwriter writes in the style of Bob Dylan, and next weekend we're going to develop the song more. Our lyricist wrote the lyrics, i wrote the music, but i've written a few extra verses, because I don't think the first verse in the song should be what it is...So i started writing some more lyrics of my own.

I know I'm the kind of person who doesn't like when someone else plays or sings something I wrote. Your friend probably isn't like that, I'm just a dick. hehe ;) Anyways you should probably come to a compromise with your friend since your singing and he wrote it. You should write something like he wrote but in a way thats easy and natural for you to sing it. The best way I think is to write the songs your going to sing, and vice versa. And save the others for another song that you'll write next. May or may not work for you.

You know, my days of youth
They've all passed me by
like a cloud up in the sky

Cool. Although try shortening the phrase, you don't need three lines to express that one meaning. Alot of useless words that could be traded with more powerful ones. Like "my days of youth passed by like clouds in the sky". Now you have more room for more powerful and emotional descriptive words like "my dark days or my happier days", and "like a storm cloud or rainy cloud". However you want to express the phrase. Think of it as painting a picture with words, you want to listener to see what you mean instead of telling them. Leave room for interpetation too.

[Edited by noticingthemistake on 07-02-2003 at 12:26 PM]
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.