View post (When I'm Laid Away)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
07/06/2003 2:23 pm
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
[B]The hardest part about it seems to be just writing things down.

Yeah that is the hardest part. A good thing to do is carry one of those mini notebooks with you at all times, then when an inspiring moment comes to you(since we can't control when they come) you can easily write them down. You've probably heard alot of great songs were first written on napkins and stuff like that. And don't force yourself to write past an inspiring moment, most of the time you won't like it and you'll drop the song. Save it in a notebook or wherever then something I like to do and works great is read something (lyrics, articles, whatever). Then an ispiring moment usually comes and I finish. Don't worry if it has the same meaning as the song you were first writting, start a new one if it doesn't. Pace yourself and in time you will complete the songs. A good thing to do is plan out a time to work on writting and adding what you can. I like writting at night just because I had a chance to take in the day and I usually have alot to say.

[B]I have to get rid of my judgmental views on my writing, i think (as all writers do), and realize that if this isn't a killer tune, big deal, its good practice.

That's tough and truth is you'll never get completely rid of it. Being your own critic is what makes you better. Some ever say the tougher your critic the better you'll be. That just comes with the teritory. Stick with the idea of writting like you said, don't spend a week trying to revise and rewrite one song because you became over-obssessed with it. Everyone revises there lyrics just don't get obssessed. Let yourself grow honestly and naturally you'll get better.

[B]It's harder than today's writers, because I'm not interested in writing in the "I'm Trapped in the maze of my brain, there's no escaping the pain, once we realize we're all the same, i'm going insane", type approach. It's so meaningless, and I'm sorry to those of you on this board that write like that, but the majority of it isn't creative at all.

Yeah me neither, although I think it started out as being honest then it became trendy.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.