hardware or software recording?

lotusone
lotusone
08/27/2010 1:27 am
ok--I am ready to buy some recording equipment as a practice aid. Perhaps someone can give me their experience in purchasing computer equipment : interface, software (like Band in a Box),self power speakers--or--is it better to go the hardware route such as recorder, drum & bass machine, mixer, etc? I appreciate all input, Lotusone
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/04/2010 12:24 pm
Download a copy of Reaper for your primary DAW at http://www.reaper.fm
That's the best sequencer and recording software you can get for the money - it's got everything Cubase and ProTools has (it supports VST's and a whole load of other plug-ins). It's free to download an uncrippled copy, you re asked to regsiter it if you like it for a $60 which is an amazing deal. Forget all the other stuff and jump in with this package - there are plenty of pro recording studios on this set up now and their forums are extremely helpful for beginners. Steep learning curve but well worth it once you get setup.
As far as hardware goes, you need a good soundcard that has a 1/4" jack to plug into so you can get your guitar onto your pc. I would recommend anything by M-Audio or Echo - I've always gone with PCI cards because you can get the latency down to almost true zero and they take a lot of the strain off the cpu.
Hope that helps,
Dave
# 2
lotusone
lotusone
09/05/2010 2:18 am
thanks for the info--I will check it out
# 3
pranakaw
pranakaw
09/07/2010 2:19 am
I have a USB mic, (Samson CO1U) with Cakewalk software. I cannot figure out the software. Is there another freeware out there that is more user friendly?
Thank you for any suggestions.
# 4
bunnahowen
bunnahowen
09/09/2010 8:43 pm
I had the same problem with the same mic. i downloaded Reaper and it was literally plug in and go. There are other similar free software which work too. i don't do anything fancy as yet, just like to record my playing and singing to give me an idea of progress.
# 5
George81
George81
09/10/2010 3:37 pm
I am looking to purchase a hardware interface that could record keyboard, guitars and vocals. CAn you please make some recomendations. I am between focusrite pro 40 and toneport ux2... please help since i do not know anything regarding recording.
# 6
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/10/2010 3:52 pm
What's your budget? I have used and abused an M-Audio Delta 1010 and an Echo Layla 3G which would both do that - they have 1/4 jacks in as well as midi in/out and xlr's - both have very good preamps built-in, personally I preferred the warmth off the Echo unit but the Delta was also great. Depends on your budget though - you'll get one of those cheaper on Ebya through a power seller but you are still looking at least Ā£$400.
# 7
George81
George81
09/10/2010 9:23 pm
My budget is around $1000 (equivalent ā‚¬600 Euros). Also can you please tell me whether you recommend pro tools or not ? - Thanks a lot for your help
# 8
George81
George81
09/10/2010 9:26 pm
Forgot to ask - Do you have any experience with focusrite pro 40 or the liquid 56 - or they are not worth it
# 9
George81
George81
09/10/2010 9:31 pm
Forgot to ask - Do you have any experience with focusrite pro 40 or the liquid 56 - or they are not worth it - what about 003 rack from digidesign or mbox 2 pro
# 10
pranakaw
pranakaw
09/12/2010 5:31 pm
Thank you bunnahowen. I appreciate your input and will use your suggestion.
# 11
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/22/2010 10:16 pm
To get started, get Reaper and a decent interface and you are ready to go. You can get by with your computer speakers if you want, until you feel you need to expand your monitoring set up. Your computer speakers should work just fine.

I would recommend this interface by M Audio. It is very easy to use, and very inexpensive. You can probably find it cheaper used.

M Audio Interface

Remember, novice or not it is up to you to make the tools work, not have them work for you. There are million dollar studios making bad music, and bands with laptops making hits. It is up to you and how you use what you have that will determine the outcome.
Douglas Showalter
# 12
George81
George81
09/26/2010 8:09 pm
Thank you very much for the reply. For me it was helpfull.
# 13
darkfrett
darkfrett
10/01/2010 4:44 am
Originally Posted by: pranakawI have a USB mic, (Samson CO1U) with Cakewalk software. I cannot figure out the software. Is there another freeware out there that is more user friendly?
Thank you for any suggestions.

I have used Acid software by Sony for several years. I am use to it. I did download their pro software and got lost quick. If you are not educated in the sound field, I would stay away from the pricy stuff.

I also have CUbase LE4. I got lost in it and never got the USB to work. I'm still working on it. I don't think it will work for me. It is too complicated.

That is exactly why I like Sony's Acid Music Studio 7.0. It is simple to use and was well under $100.

But I think the best way to go for me is a recorder. You can get some nasty delays on a computer and end up re-installing your sound driver to take care of it. A stand alone recorder will not mess with your computer.

I used a friend's 4 track tape recorder for a while. I fell in love with it. The only bad thing about that was the tape would only hold about 15 minutes. I would think that a digital recorder would work a lot better. Well, they get pricy quick.

At this point, it all depends on what you want to do with it and how much you are willing to spend. But, I would go with a non-computer based recorder if at all possible.
# 14
shayman1
shayman1
10/07/2010 4:06 pm
I use Mixcraft 5 and love it. Very reasonable price and some great plugins and really easy to use. What I also like are the useful video tutorials plus the forum that they provide. If you're working to a budget, new to recording and need a good starting point then you can't go wrong really. I posted some of the videos on my blog www.songwriting4guitar.com/record-your-songs
Good luck
# 15
tlully
tlully
10/30/2010 9:01 pm
For the money I don't think this can be beat but prosonos gear is more expandable and I am considering it. For my guitar I use native intstruments guitar rig 4. It's quite capable and stage/studio ready but it is better on a dedicated computer system or with a computer system with over kill system requirements. The best way to go if your using alot of digital processing equipment and software is the get a system with multiple drives and seperate the programs so they can't conflict.
# 16
tlully
tlully
10/30/2010 9:06 pm
If your not computer savvy I I do not suggest Native instruments. It's a German company and they have a lot to learn about customer service. I am an IT Tech and I have native instrument components I still can't use because I have no tolerance for techs that take weeks to solve absolutely nothing.
# 17
Jerry Dylan
Jerry Dylan
11/19/2010 10:08 pm
I use this Interface
http://en.woodbrass.com/images/woodbrass/PRESONUS+AUDIOBOX+USB+INTERFACE.JPG
with a Cakewalk software I believe I use home studio 7. It is really simple just plug in and play and the program has Drum Machines, Effects, Amp Modeling, Mixing, Midi, and everything you need. The Interface has two guitar/mic inputs and a place for midi and speaker monitors.
# 18
Bluesman143
Bluesman143
12/19/2010 6:07 pm
There would appear to be a veritable plethora of alternative options on this sort of gear these days and so an experienced un-biased view would be most welcome.

As I understand it, pre-amps are used to boost the signal from the mic before it goes into the mixing desk. Some add effects, pitch correction and harmonies these days but I don't like gizzmo's that artificially enhance the true performance. So does anyone have any advice and/or recommendations to make? Are these useful for both recording and live performances?
# 19
KRAZYTRUKER
KRAZYTRUKER
12/23/2010 2:35 pm
[QUOTE=Bluesman143]There would appear to be a veritable plethora of alternative options on this sort of gear these days and so an experienced un-biased view would be most welcome.

As I understand it, pre-amps are used to boost the signal from the mic before it goes into the mixing desk. Some add effects, pitch correction and harmonies these days but I don't like gizzmo's that artificially enhance the true performance. So does anyone have any advice and/or recommendations to make? Are these useful for both recording and live performances?[/QUOTE

There are so many choices it is hard to know where to start. I am building a home recording pc for a band and the research is enough to make your head explode. Pre amps are good and can even be found on the sound card itself. Also you need to know if you are going to use a condenser mic as you will need phantom power too. M audio makes some nice usb boxes as do others which work great and have all these goodies. If you are only going to record guitar you can get by pretty easy and cheap. If you are recording multiple instruments and tracks now it gets more tricky and expensive. I am using cakewalk home studio software and m audio products. They have good support and ease of use. It really depends on your use and budget.Good luck in your endevor.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.