hardware or software recording?

sastowers
sastowers
01/20/2011 1:49 am
Originally Posted by: KRAZYTRUKER[QUOTE=Bluesman143]There would appear to be a veritable plethora of alternative options on this sort of gear these days and so an experienced un-biased view would be most welcome.

As I understand it, pre-amps are used to boost the signal from the mic before it goes into the mixing desk. Some add effects, pitch correction and harmonies these days but I don't like gizzmo's that artificially enhance the true performance. So does anyone have any advice and/or recommendations to make? Are these useful for both recording and live performances?[/QUOTE

There are so many choices it is hard to know where to start. I am building a home recording pc for a band and the research is enough to make your head explode. Pre amps are good and can even be found on the sound card itself. Also you need to know if you are going to use a condenser mic as you will need phantom power too. M audio makes some nice usb boxes as do others which work great and have all these goodies. If you are only going to record guitar you can get by pretty easy and cheap. If you are recording multiple instruments and tracks now it gets more tricky and expensive. I am using cakewalk home studio software and m audio products. They have good support and ease of use. It really depends on your use and budget.Good luck in your endevor.

While this is an older thread, I'll still put my 2 cents worth as I've been the route being discussed. I started recording in the early 90's using a stereo cassette recorder and now have a portable recording studio using a laptop and an Alesis 16 channel USB 2.0 mixing board. For shows where someone else is doing the mixing, I use a Korg MR2 recorder to capture the live performance from the record out jacks from the board. I recommend for people just starting out to take their existing computer and an interface like the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB. This will give you the multiple inputs for several instruments at once, and surprisingly quiet preamps (until pushed really hard). This unit will use the USB on your computer as an interface. I personally use Adobe Audition 3 as my recording program, but that's a personal preference because I've used the product since it was Cool Edit. Adobe Audition 1.5 may be the easiest to set up and use initially and as you get more comfortable and perhaps upgrade to USB 2.0 connectors to be able to record multiple instruments on their own tracks, then go up. I do more straightforward multi track recordings, eg, Drums, Bass, Guitar, Lead Guitar and Vocals with little in the way of fancy or exotic effects and found this was the easiest setup to get up and recording with. Also the best FREE computer recording program is probably Audacity as it is Open Source and did I mention FREE?.....lol If you have microphones already, then you only need the interface....the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB mixer is around 120 used on ebay, the same price as some of the less capable and IMHO, less musical sounding interfaces out there. To give you an example of the sound, go to this and listen to the audio........... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhzEbVojB8w
Recorded using a laptop, Alesis MultiMix 8 USB, and Cad Condensor mic. It will give you an idea to the potential of something like this. No overdubs, no tricks...just as it was recorded. Good luck! It's a heckuva lot of fun doing this.
# 1
redmwp
redmwp
01/23/2011 7:57 pm
I have been looking into this recently and have two websites I'd like to recommend for you.

1. http://forum.recordingreview.com/content/
This one has a free download called "Setting Up" which does a good job of explaining the basics of home recording.

2. http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
This one is also fulll of good information although I may be more detailed than you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
# 2
DCjazz
DCjazz
01/24/2011 8:51 am
Originally Posted by: pranakawIs there another freeware out there that is more user friendly?
Id add useful....

Software is just like guitars-you get what you pay for and the answer on freeware is don't consider it. Fine for limited use but that is where it ends.

After beta testing a good deal of the audio software-lots of high end and a few not so high, you cannot setup a home studio "on the cheap" that will afford you good recordings. Software is important. Has to be sonically accurate and be able to remove or mask that sound you don't want. That is how a good track is "grown."
Martin HD28 body from their Custom Shop
Custom Martin
Waiting on a new Olson SJ.

If music is the medium, the message is always sweeter
# 3
snakeyd
snakeyd
01/25/2011 5:46 pm
Audacity is a freebie. Just downloaded it the other day, import backing tracks, then I play along through my line 6 tone port and it records.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.