View post (hardware or software recording?)

View thread

KRAZYTRUKER
KRAZYTRUKER
12/23/2010 2:35 pm
[QUOTE=Bluesman143]There would appear to be a veritable plethora of alternative options on this sort of gear these days and so an experienced un-biased view would be most welcome.

As I understand it, pre-amps are used to boost the signal from the mic before it goes into the mixing desk. Some add effects, pitch correction and harmonies these days but I don't like gizzmo's that artificially enhance the true performance. So does anyone have any advice and/or recommendations to make? Are these useful for both recording and live performances?[/QUOTE

There are so many choices it is hard to know where to start. I am building a home recording pc for a band and the research is enough to make your head explode. Pre amps are good and can even be found on the sound card itself. Also you need to know if you are going to use a condenser mic as you will need phantom power too. M audio makes some nice usb boxes as do others which work great and have all these goodies. If you are only going to record guitar you can get by pretty easy and cheap. If you are recording multiple instruments and tracks now it gets more tricky and expensive. I am using cakewalk home studio software and m audio products. They have good support and ease of use. It really depends on your use and budget.Good luck in your endevor.