weight set?

Superhuman
Superhuman
06/10/2008 5:24 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerathere is always jeet kun do

Always wanted to practice JKD... got all Lee's books, facinating stuff... you ever train in it?
# 1
pure
pure
06/10/2008 6:28 pm
okay I don't mind the thread-hijaking, you're still being helpful

anyways yeah a gym is safer and I know i can push my limits there, but I'm the kind of person who doesn't like training in packed places. its also inconvenient when the machine I need to use is occupied.

I won't be doing any type of exercise that may compromise my head or neck.

and don't get me wrong, strength training is not all that I will do to prepare for track. I only plan to lift heavy weights until around november, and then I will begin conditioning again for the next spring. thats why i'm looking to gain as much strength and size as possible, because when I start conditioning I cannot strength train anymore. its all going to be straight running and whatever the coach makes me do from there on. I've tried strength training during track season, but strength training while doing intense running did not work well for me.

sprinters are generally the most muscular runners anyways. they're not HUGE like professional bodybuilders but the extra muscle helps with their speed

i hope to explain this in an equation..

power = force x displacement = kg*m2/s2

basically the more powerful you are, the heavier the load that you can carry, or the quicker pace in which a load can be carried.

therefore, if i train my body to carry a heavier load at the same pace than the load i currently carry (making myself more powerful), then my body will be able to move faster when the load is removed from my body.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 2
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/10/2008 6:50 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanAlways wanted to practice JKD... got all Lee's books, facinating stuff... you ever train in it?

JKD is really more of a philosophy of fighting than an art in and of itself. I know plenty of JKD "instructors" that don't even get this- they just show a bunch of techniques and say, "this is JKD". Bruce Lee really wanted to move away from classical/traditional arts, recognizing there was no perfect art. He's often thought of the godfather of mma, as he mixed the best of other arts into his style of fighting. The JKD philosophy is as much mental as it is physical.

Yeah, this thread has really taken a left turn, lol. But it's cool to see guitarists with other passions, especially MA, my other lifetime passion.

I saw the Machida fight and was pretty impressed. He didn't seem intimidated at all.

One of my favorite mma fighters is BJ Penn; I think his grappling skills are amazing. I was disappointed in his last match when he fought...Sherk(?). It was just a boxing match. I like to watch mma to see grappling, being that's not a strong point of mine. My nephew is a blue belt in bjj under Renzo Gracie and has shown me some cool moves. But still, in the street, I don't want to go to the ground. Strangely, in my last street altercation, I just got the guy in a fingerlock, cranked and brought him to his knees. Maybe it's a sign of maturity... :eek:
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 3
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
06/10/2008 7:07 pm
i have seen jkd in action but i always liked small circle jujitsu more than heavy striking arts. (i have broke my right arm twice in my life and it sucks so i do strike much). if i remember my schooling in the combat arts, lees philosphy for jeet kun do was to be formless, while most arts rely on forms and 'katas' of one move always follows the next jkd was an idea that said the fighter should adapt his techs to the needs of the moment. but i could be wrong. anyway

the time i did see jkd is action is when i was in high school. we were in the dojo at lunch messing around with the foot pads and gloves. one fighter (the big guy) was a tkd said hes been doing it since he was a kid. the jkd guy was a little smaller, but was basicly mma he know arts from all over. and been doing jkd for a few years. the tkd guy started with the heavy kicks and 'katas' of tkd and basicly got put on his ass every 2 seconds by the jkd guy, who basicly just used strikes and throws. and thats it.

pure:

if you want to add bulk fast you might consider getting some militay training manuals. there might not bee any direct training you can use from them, but you might get some ideas on a 'bootcamp' sytle training regime.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/10/2008 7:08 pm
Originally Posted by: puretherefore, if i train my body to carry a heavier load at the same pace than the load i currently carry (making myself more powerful), then my body will be able to move faster when the load is removed from my body.
Well, as I've said, I'm no expert in training for running, but I hope you can talk to the right kind of trainer to instruct you on exactly which muscles to train. What if you overtrain your quads for example?

Yeah, I've noticed sprinters are generally pretty heavily muscled; guess there's a reason for that.

Gonna train your forearms? Wonder how that's going to affect your guitar playing ;)

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 5
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/10/2008 7:22 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerai have seen jkd in action but i always liked small circle jujitsu more than heavy striking arts. (i have broke my right arm twice in my life and it sucks so i do strike much). if i remember my schooling in the combat arts, lees philosphy for jeet kun do was to be formless, while most arts rely on forms and 'katas' of one move always follows the next jkd was an idea that said the fighter should adapt his techs to the needs of the moment. but i could be wrong.
I learned the the finger-lock from a Wally Jay vid on small circle JJ.

I'd say your description of JKD is pretty spot on, imo.

# 6
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
06/10/2008 7:44 pm
the person i learned some scjj from is a direct student of wally jay did some trining with bruce leee and placed 2nd as a nation champion but missed the olympics cause a torn rotater cuff in his shoulder.

i always thought sprinters we so muscled because they were like boxers, trying to keep their weight down as much as possible.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 7
pure
pure
06/10/2008 9:12 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerai always thought sprinters we so muscled because they were like boxers, trying to keep their weight down as much as possible.

you could be correct about that.. I don't know how olympic runners are trained but i'm sure there's some scientific method behind their training where body weight is accounted for. but i'm also sure that those people are cut from a different cloth and the way they're trained might not even work for my skill level.

well anyways, the difficult part will be figuring out which muscles to train and finding a balance and keeping that balance. My sister has a bunch of anatomy cds so I could search for the functions of each individual skeletal muscle and figure out which muscles are responsible for which parts of running... or I could just train my whole body and see what kind of improvements that yields. and the good thing about heavy weight lifting is that I'll get too sore to overtrain.

The boot camp handbooks sound interesting. They may be what I need. I wonder if I can get some online
# 8
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/10/2008 10:54 pm
Well, to get back a bit on topic, check out these google hits:
http://www.google.com/search?q=weight+lifting+for+sprint+running&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

All this talk about working out and martial arts made me want to workout, but I've decided to lay down until the feeling went away....

# 9
Superhuman
Superhuman
06/11/2008 9:36 am
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoJKD is really more of a philosophy of fighting than an art in and of itself. I know plenty of JKD "instructors" that don't even get this- they just show a bunch of techniques and say, "this is JKD". Bruce Lee really wanted to move away from classical/traditional arts, recognizing there was no perfect art. He's often thought of the godfather of mma, as he mixed the best of other arts into his style of fighting. The JKD philosophy is as much mental as it is physical.

I agree 100% there, it helps to get concept if you already have experience in a few different styles including some form of MMA. The Tao of Jeet Kun Do is a great book, Lee always has been one of my life time heroes - defeinitely the father of MMA. Another more ancient swordsman with a similar formless approach who was unbeatable in his day was Miyamoto Mushashi - author of the "Go Rin no Sho" (book of 5 rings). Worth checking out if you havent done so already.

I've had the same 'instructors' experience too. The budo taijutsu that I do is more commonly called ninjutsu but the reality is that pure ninjutsu is not thaught anywhere anymore, yet you see loads of "instructors" and "experts" guffing on about a whole load of nonsense all over the internet. The dojo I trained in was just a class room in a kids school in the middle of the country side. Tiled floor with no tatami mats so you had to get your rolls, breakfalls and handsprings pretty good pretty quick :eek: That said, the 'students' were all 4th degree black belt up to Ishizuka sensei who was 10th degree. It was an amazing experience, totally raw training. I never got injured there in over 5 years compared to the numerous broken bones, hyper extensions and sprains I got training in Ireland - kick boxing and MMA were different though, permanent split lip and black eye syndrome :p . The grand masters dojo was a different place all together, very cool but also had a hint of 'marketing' behind it.

Re BJ Pen, he's a great grappler always interesting to watch but I agree the Sherk fight wasn't a showcase. Grappling in MMA is a bit of a strange one, very effective but in the real world not that great. Before I sign off from waffling on this thread, my favourite MMA fighters are probably Mirko Crocop, Ueda Machida, Kazushi Sakuraba and Antonio Inoki (from the days of yore). Back to work!
# 10
ajt178
Adriel
ajt178
Adriel
06/11/2008 11:31 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60Weight sets are the most common thing that people buy and sell quickly. You can find a good weight set in the used section of the paper and save yourself a ton of cash. A good set of ankle weights to wear when you're not training will do more for you than you may think. There's a lot to be said for general resistence training with even a small set of weights to use to increase load.

Running stadium steps is one of the most intense ways to build a power jump from the blocks for sprints and interval training will help for the middle distance stuff.

I would also recommend a Tae Kwon Do class. Since it uses such intense kicking techniques, you will build up leg strength very quickly. Plus you get to learn something that may be useful to you at some time in your life.

Just a few thoughts.

thats true, i always see blowflexes and stuff at flea markets for a few hundred bucks....you could also try craigslist.
[FONT=Courier New]
Fender Malmsteen Strat
Crate GT-212 Amp
Behringer V-Amp Pro/Line 6 Pocket Pod
[/FONT]
# 11
pure
pure
06/11/2008 7:17 pm
hmm i was texting a friend yesterday..

he was a senior this year who did like 200, 100m sprints for his school.. i started askin him 4 advice yesterday and when i started askin him about bulkin up and workin out he said he could help me train.. he goes to the gym so ima see how many times i can go with him..

I'd get a membership but the rates are crazy.. like ~$130 down and about $30 due per month for each of their plans (monthly, 1 year, 2 year).. I wouldn't be surprised if they charged me alot of cash to enter with him

I also have a neighbor with some weights and my friend goes over to his house to work out.. i know he has a bench, which won't be very useful for leg training, but his weights go up to like 200 something so i hope he doesn't only have a bench
# 12
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/12/2008 12:22 am
Wang Chung
# 13
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/12/2008 1:29 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorWang Chung

"Everybody have fun tonight...everybody wang chung tonight...." :D
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 14
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/12/2008 1:38 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorWang Chung
:::sigh::::if I only got a nickel for everytime that's been said....

May all the women you sleep with be morbidly obese little people! :p

I forgot to add ugly....

# 15
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/12/2008 2:23 am
Originally Posted by: Superhuman"Go Rin no Sho" (book of 5 rings). Worth checking out if you havent done so already. [/QUOTE]Yeah, cool book, along with the Art of War, and another book I like that's not strictly about MA is...Zen and The Martial Arts I think by Joe Hyams. I go back to them every couple of years.

Originally Posted by: Superhuman"also had a hint of 'marketing' behind it.
Unfortunately in the west, I guess for schools to stay open, they have to "market". Traditionally, the Chinese martial arts don't rank (anymore- supposedly at one time there was ranking). More and more, Chinese schools now rank. My first Wing Chun instructor started ranking- and charged for it. I had already been his assistant instructor for a couple of years and refused. Funny story behind this- as I had already learned as much as I could from this guy and he was just using me to help run his school, sometimes I'd take a break for a month or two then come back to a new crop of students. He'd always like to show off, so he'd have me spar 4 guys (full contact, only mouth guard) to tire me out, then for the finishing finale, he'd like to spar me and kick the crap out of me. As was protocol when we sparred, if someone got a good shot in, we'd acknowledge it, then break and start over again. Well, for 3 weeks running, he'd have me spar a bunch of guys and pound the hell out of me without breaking or acknowledging my shots. I had taken an intermediate grappling class with Royce Gracie, and the only thing I really learned of value was how to apply a rear naked choke. Well, in the last sparring match, my instructor was trying to pound me again; there's a move in WC where you simultaneously block a punch, then with the other hand grab above the elbow above the striking hand and pull in to spin the guy around. So I did that and had his back. Soon as I had his back, I took him to the ground and got him in the choke- which I had done in other sparring matches, but he'd pop up and cold-**** me. This time, while in the choke, I didn't release him as I did before, and he was trying to fight his way out but he wasn't going anywhere. I said, "tap or die". He was slowly going to sleep and he tapped. All these newbie students thought I was a beginner also, because I didn't have any stripes on my sash for those he promoted, so they thought I was a beginner also. What's funny about it is, he ultimately took up grappling and "created" what he calls "Integrative Wing Chun". If you google his site, most of what's there is absolute BS. It may not sound cool to bash your former Sifu, but this guy really was out to hurt you. Later, I was lucky enough to train privately with a first generation student of Duncan Leung, a disciple of Yip Man. Man, he took my WC to level I only dreamed about. I was "awarded" the title of Sifu- but I'm nowhere near the level of my last instructor, and I refuse to have any student address me as such. OK, I know I"m blathering.

[QUOTE=Superhuman]" Grappling in MMA is a bit of a strange one, very effective but in the real world not that great. Before I sign off from waffling on this thread, my favourite MMA fighters are probably Mirko Crocop, Ueda Machida, Kazushi Sakuraba and Antonio Inoki (from the days of yore). Back to work!
I've had more than my share of debates with mma practitioners. mma as done in the octagon is a sport with rules. They're aren't any on the street. I don't like to train for sport, as that puts you in a certain mind-set. If I get attacked on the street, I don't want to think, "oh, I can't punch him in the throat", which is generally my first line of defense. I don't care how big someone is, a shot to the throat puts 'em down

I'm not a die-hard UFC fan, but I was impressed with Machida and Sakuraba also. Looking forward to what I think is the finale of the UFC tonight.

# 16
www trade9 net
www trade9 net
06/12/2008 10:47 am
i think you should have second think about how to spend your money!!!
# 17
pure
pure
06/13/2008 3:28 am
Originally Posted by: www trade9 neti think you should have second think about how to spend your money!!!

people spend more cash on guitars.. I don't see a difference between buying a guitar and buying a set of weights..

they're both things that take time and commitment to get better on, and you become a more disciplined person the more you use it.. they both frustrate the hell out of you when you try to do something over and over but just can't.. and as you improve or get tired of one thing, you wanna try different things.. it all depends on how you look at it.. some say investing in the hobby is a waste of money.. but you know its something you want to do.
# 18
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/13/2008 9:30 am
Originally Posted by: purepeople spend more cash on guitars.. I don't see a difference between buying a guitar and buying a set of weights..

they're both things that take time and commitment to get better on, and you become a more disciplined person the more you use it.. they both frustrate the hell out of you when you try to do something over and over but just can't.. and as you improve or get tired of one thing, you wanna try different things.. it all depends on how you look at it.. some say investing in the hobby is a waste of money.. but you know its something you want to do.

Love drawing the parrallels between weight lifting and playing guitar. Right on track! :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 19
pure
pure
06/13/2008 5:27 pm
buddy took me to tha gym yesterday.. squats.. leg presses..

only reason im on the computer is cuz I can't.. walk straight.. had to go to the restroom, which they put upstairs.. to torture people.. i couldnt go up the steps.. took bout a minute or two.. den it was even harder catching myself from falling on the way down hah.. fun times
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.