Metallica?

guitarrock24
guitarrock24
03/02/2007 6:46 pm
I heard that Metallica is working on a new album. I'm kinda hoping that they grow their hair back and rock out like theu used to, but I don't mind if they don't. I don't see what the whole deal about their old stuff and their new stuff. Yeah, it's not as heavy and energetic as before, but it's still pretty desent stuff. If anyone rocked out as long and hard as they did, you would probaby pretty tired and messed up from all the live shows and recordings. Your thoughts? :confused:
# 1
aschleman
aschleman
03/02/2007 7:09 pm
Yeah, they've been wroking on a new album. Bob Rock is no longer their producer... He produced every one of their albums after and including the Black album... I think it's a step in the right direction. I didn't like their St. Anger stuff when I heard it on the album but the live versions that I heard when I saw them a few years ago weren't bad at all. I think they were trying too hard to change the way music is produced and mixed.... Maybe it was ahead of it's time... who knows. But I didn't like that album at all.

I'm hoping that they go back to their roots with the under produced sound of Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning, and ... And Justice For all. Those albums rocked because it was just straight forward, in your face metal without all the production BS that came with the Black album then into the Load/ReLoad and St. Anger albums... They're such a great band when they just play their instruments.
# 2
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/02/2007 7:43 pm
I think Metallica's next album ought to be good, as long as they don't simply recycle the old stuff, and as long as James Hetfield shaves that stupid beard :p
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 3
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
03/02/2007 8:07 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesus as long as James Hetfield shaves that stupid beard :p

Why are looks so important to a band isnt it really about the music? :confused:
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
03/02/2007 8:09 pm
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEWhy are looks so important to a band isnt it really about the music? :confused:

I'll rephrase jiujitsu's post:

"as long as James Hetfield can get a vocal chord transplant."

Because, lets face it... his chords are shot.
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
03/02/2007 8:22 pm
Originally Posted by: DAMAGED ONEWhy are looks so important to a band isnt it really about the music? :confused:

he was joking.

but still.
that thing is hideous! hahahhahaa
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/03/2007 1:44 am
IMO, it would be hard to get much worse than St. Anger. I hope they do reach back to the days of Cliff and ...And Justice For All. Kill Em All is a personal favorite for me. Anything up to and including AJFA was rockin.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 7
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/03/2007 2:21 am
Bob Rock=Cliff Burton.......NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/03/2007 2:49 am

Just joking, he can keep his beard if he wants to, haha. And you're right - if he keeps the beard and makes a rockin' album, then more power to the beard, I say! :p

I think there was some good stuff post-Black Album... "Fuel", "Low Man's Lyric", "The Unforgiven part II" and "Hero of the Day" are all classic songs. But I think they definitely lost some of their intensity after ...And Justice For All.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/03/2007 2:59 am
This is how I group Metallica music:

-True METALLICA albums that just scream metal
1. Kill 'Em All
2. Ride The Lightning
3. Master Of Puppets

-Another GREAT album, but it did have a different sound/feel than the others. Its no less "metal" and no less good then the others, but it did have something different about the sound.
1. ...And Justice For All

-Still great, arguably "less good" because of the drastic difference and change. This is different than all their old stuff, and I think this is where the huge changes started happening with the band.
1. Black Album

-These I put into their own group as just being a different side of Metallica. Still good, but not the same, so they can't be compared with their original metal albums.
1. Load
2. RE-Load

-This has its own category because of the way the album was set up. Great CD's but 1 CD was all songs by other bands. The songs they did were good, but again, very different. Every song on the CDs are great pretty much, but its yet another "different" Metallica approach.
1. Garage Inc.

___________________________________________________________________________________
This is where I really don't see the old Metallica anymore. You could see where they were coming from in Load/Reload, but these ones are the complete oposite almost, and I think they were trying to experiment with a lot more than they should have.

-COMPLETELY different approach to their music. No really new original music, just a different approach to their old music. I personally dont listen to these albums. In my mind, I tell myself "why listen to this, when I could listen to the REAL songs. They are better that way anyways."
1. S&M

-Everyone has their own opinion on this one, but I think we can all agree that its in its seperate category for many obvious reasons.
1. St. Anger

As for their new album, I think its going to sound a lot like St. Anger mixed with Reload. I think that James is the one stearing the Metallica ship, and he is what makes the songs sound so different now. I have no way to back this up, but I just feel that James is the one who is more into this new kind of music that Metallica is making. I dont really know where Lars stands, but Kirk i think is just happy to play anthing, so he doesnt really mind playing this stuff. Rob is new, so he either likes this new music and encourages it, or he just doesnt care like Kirk. He will play just to play. I still conisder Metallica one of my favorite bands (they were what first made me turn to metal and made me want to play guitar). James, Lars, and Kirk are all awesome (I dont know anything about Rob really so I left him out. Im not saying I dont like him), and I don't "blame" anyone for anything. They will play whatever they want to play, and thats fine with me. Its their lives.

Oh and about James' new look: Hes trying to look like a greaser/hot rod/biker kind of guy. Slicked back hair, that beard, and the way he dresses lol. If he likes it thats fine. Im not putting him down, but I would love to see him go back to looking like he did before. Long hair, with the moustache/bear type thing.
# 10
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/03/2007 3:09 am
Garage Days were freakin awesome also. "Am I Evil?" is probably my favorite Metallica song ever. However, Cliff was obviously involved in that too.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 11
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
03/03/2007 8:16 am
I am a HUGE metallica fan,but oddly I liked load a reload the most (and from which ive herd is rare), I thought It seemed to be such a natural progression of their musical interests at the time And i thought it could only get better from there.
Now st. Anger was a shock to me on almost every level. Even compared to the vast differences between say ...and justice for all and load. St. Anger came right out of left field at us, And now it seems everyone would be so very happy if they were to return to any of their old ways whether that means they should go back to thrash or just simply start drinking and swearing again. Because that's what we were used to. I do think they will have a great next album becuase James seemss more comfortable with himself than he was while recording st. anger. He doesn't seem to be desperatly searching for an identity anymore.

If you listen to metallica's "the new song" on youtube I think it becomes clear that they are finding there way again. :cool:

I can't wait to hear that song finished
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 12
dvenetian
dvenetian
03/03/2007 11:35 am
So many of today's hardcore Metallica fans were too young at the time they released their Metal fury in it's purest form. In fact, their debut "Kill 'Em All" took time to digest before it became the masterpiece as it's now known. So did their next release "Ride the Lightning". This was a Hardcore kick in the face Metal Band with intensity unlike any other band of their era. It wasn't until their third release "Master of Puppets" that this band took the world by storm and every other Metal Band of that era got pushed into the back seat.
Master of Puppets is one of the best Metal albums....... EVER. It brought recognition to their prior albums by leaps and bounds. Fans couldn't get enough of their Crushing, furious and relentless energy.
Whatever they release in the future will be almost impossible to match how they changed the music industry back in 1986.
# 13
clewnii
clewnii
03/03/2007 1:20 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI'll rephrase jiujitsu's post:

"as long as James Hetfield can get a vocal chord transplant."

Because, lets face it... his chords are shot.

Well he managed to make one of his best singing efforts on Load, with his chords shot. So lets face it... Its all about what tools you have and what approach you use.
# 14
polansky
polansky
03/03/2007 7:26 pm
Metallica has been one of the bands that have been for me always around, the first time I went to a concert it was Metallica... It just changed my life.

I was "surprised" when I heard Load... never heard Garage Inc., hated most of Reload and the first time `i heard St. Anger was all mixed up... so I didn't like it. Year rolled and one day I found it in discount and said..."hell with it I'm gonna buy it..." so I did, and sit down to listen... beyond being a over produced, pro tooled over the top... I got to like it and kind of undestand it.

I don't think Metallica is a bad band... they didn't have the best of their times in music since a long time and agree... I don't like all their albums...old stuff is cornerstone metal... but they still to me one of the biggest ones.

I trully hope they get a new album... a good one, and still waiting to catch them live on Mexico...
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 15
clewnii
clewnii
03/03/2007 11:14 pm
Pesonally I think Metallica should make more songs like Low Mans Lyric and "the whole Load album"... 80's Metallica isnt foreign to me, I used to worship Ride the lightning, Puppets and the 'ol Black album, long before Load was released. However, i think their ability as songwriters comes out much more clearly on Load. Reload has the wierdest twist to it than any of of their other albums, I absolutely love some songs and absolutely DONT like some of the others, but I guess they'll grow on me as I get closer to death.. heheh.
To be honest I think all metal-heads realise sooner or later that all though metall is a pretty free and fun play-field to be on it doesnt allow for too much musical/tonal extravagance.

I dont think they lost their INTENSITY, I think they just decided on a different approach and that a slower TEMPO fitt their needs better... (?)
I saw them live at Roskilde '99 and the Load stuff absolutely did not lack intensity.

Well thats it, I hold Metallica very very dear.. Ill be back.. less DRUNK ;P and more sober, I hope.
Laters, last beer comin up.
# 16
force_of_shred
force_of_shred
03/04/2007 3:37 am
one thing load a reload have going for them is that they don't fall into any category that exists yet. :D I love the tones they got as well as the song writing.
" "this tone ain't workin for me" is the first thing a guitar player says when he hasn't done his homework"- Bob Rock
# 17
quickfingers
quickfingers
03/04/2007 4:15 am
megadeth did it longer and better and still managed to keep roots with what dave mustaine did in the very first album: heavy riffage, tight, quality lyrics, and as always...bitchin' guitar solos.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 18
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
03/04/2007 5:11 am
Originally Posted by: quickfingersmegadeth did it longer and better and still managed to keep roots with what dave mustaine did in the very first album: heavy riffage, tight, quality lyrics, and as always...bitchin' guitar solos.

I was too afraid to bring that up in a thread full of Metallica fans (so I waited until you did, Quickfingers, then jumped on the bandwagon! :p), but I wholeheartedly agree. I don't see Metallica as being in the same league as Megadeth in terms of consistent songwriting. Even when Megadeth, like Metallica, strayed far from their roots (Risk), they did it well.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 19
dvenetian
dvenetian
03/05/2007 8:29 am
Originally Posted by: quickfingersmegadeth did it longer and better and still managed to keep roots with what dave mustaine did in the very first album: heavy riffage, tight, quality lyrics, and as always...bitchin' guitar solos.

With all of the members that Mustaine has fired over the years, He is the only original member left. It's too bad that he lost Marty Friedman, because Megadeth will never be the band they were without him, IMO. Rust in Peace is a Masterpiece.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.