A Revelation

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/05/2007 10:57 pm
So last night I watched the game when my friends roommate comes over. He insisted myself and my roommate need to come to his place and help him drink a 30 pack. So we go over, and the festivities begin. So after a few cold ones, I'm feelin pretty good. We're listenin to this trippy music he records, and I was enjoying it. I typically wouldn't enjoy this style but it seemed to make sense under the influence. Kind of opened my eyes to a few things. So many people nowadays are trying to write technically difficult, hard to digest music. But this stuff was just the emotions he was expressing from day to day. I point to Jeff Beck in a situation like this. He plays his guitar from the soul, as opposed to doing blistering fast lines at 200 BPM. I up until this point have been one of the ones trying to make technically difficult and catchy riffs instead of keeping focus on the art of what music actually is. Its emotion translated into sound. Does anyone really express your emotions through blistering fast riffs? Maybe if its metal and you have pent up aggression, but when I look at someone like Malmsteen, I find it hard to believe that his music has any substance to it whatsoever.

I don't know, whats your guys' opinions? What is music to you? I'm starting to believe its nothing but the art of emotion expression. Perhaps thats why the trippy stuff sounds better under the influence of something. We have a better understanding for it when we can escape the standards of music theory and technicalities. That being said, I don't necessarily believe you have to be stoned or drunk to understand and/or appreciate it. Or make it for that matter.

Another revelation I had was that drugs and alcohol are no longer on my to do list. I got high, on a substance that will remain nameless, last night, and I felt like such an idiot and a scum bag today. Same goes with alcohol. I tried it and it all seems pointless. Temporary escape from daily pressures, just to puke and feel nasty the next day. And you're back to square one.

I think I had a lot come out of last night, which I think will help me musically and personally in the long run.

Sorry, this was pretty much a pointless thread, but I felt only other musicians could understand it, and I had to get it off my chest.

On a side note, by the end of the night, a window had been broken and now that guys is probably getting evicted for other reasons also. Thats my sign to stay away from this stuff.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 1
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
02/05/2007 11:19 pm
Hey man its cool when you see something for a long time. Then you look at it another time and see something for what it is. (dont think that made sence). Everyone has there oppinion of music is to them and how they look at it. Who is right and who is wrong? I think music can be and expression no matter what jondra or style it is ... ( well for the most part...lol). You could listen to a fast song and hear pain, grief, and anger. Then turn on a slow easy going song that hits the very same nail on the head. Man its cool you had some revelations last night ... ( good and bad ). Stuff like what happend to you last night is the kind of stuff thats shapes your life and makes it who you are. Hell im all twisted.... lol... i've seen alot.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 2
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
02/05/2007 11:21 pm
In most cases i dont like to read too far into stuff like this but whatever. l I dont think it matters what the music sounds like as long as ur getting something out of it. I may listen to Mars Volta because I like the weird vibes it gives off...or to Rage Against the Machine because of how it gets me pumped up and engergized...or Bob Dylan for his engaging lyrics...or Malmsteen because the speed and proficiency with which he plays drives me to get better at guitar...you get the point.

So, to make a long story short, listen to whatever makes you happy. I dont like or listen to much rap, but if it inspires someone else, then more power to them. When it comes to music, sometimes its best to let ignorance be bliss.
# 3
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/05/2007 11:50 pm
Guess it all really comes down to beauty is in the eye and ear of the beholder. However, I still find it hard to think that some people put there heart into their music, but thats not for me to judge. I don't know their motives, but hey, w/e I guess.

Maybe I've totally missed the point here. Maybe some can just express their emotions in a more proficient way than others due to different physical capabilities. But as I said, I find that hard to believe with some of the artists today.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/06/2007 12:40 am
Interesting post Grizzly.

I have often wondered the very same thing. For me, the most emotive type of music has always been blues, jazz, rock and blues/rock based music because, to me, it seems to have the most reach. There's some rather connective aural tissue in those riffs... But to be fair, I think that all music is a way of conveying emotion. I listen to the great players, the ones that can rip it up at 200 + BPM and I am awed by what they can do. And like you, I have to wonder what it is that they are conveying or trying to convey. But it's like all human emotion, it rolls out of us in different ways. When some people grieve, they cry. Others go silent and stoic. Others actually laugh. (I have a good friend like that. You can't go to a funeral with him. He giggles and snorts the entire night and not out of malice or spite, that's just how he deals with grief. Wierd but that's him...)When some people talk and try to express love, they cry. Others laugh. Some grin from ear to ear and others have that same look you see in the eyes of a deer caught in the headlights.

You're right - it's in the eye and ear of the beholder. Some find beauty in technical proficiency and there's nothing wrong with that. Others find it in the mood of the song. Some of us are lyric freaks. But if it touches your soul in some way or another, it's good music.

As far as the drugs and booze, congrats on your revelation. I had something similar happen to me years ago. One day I woke up and said "Okay, that's enough of that." I still take a drink or two every now and again but it doesn't mean anything to me at all. I managed to break that false 'drunk/high creative connection.' It doesn't exist. But no one can tell you that. That's just something we all have to figure out for ourselves.

And most of us do.

Pleased to see your new goal! To quote and horribly over-used marketing phrase: "Just do it!!!"
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/06/2007 12:50 am
Man, I still feel like such an idiot though. What a pointless thing to do...Hopefully the feeling goes away after a few days, but I feel like I've failed somebody...myself primarily. Thanks for the replies though fellas. Good to get things off my chest, and this seems like the place to do it.
# 6
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/06/2007 1:12 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintMan, I still feel like such an idiot though. What a pointless thing to do...Hopefully the feeling goes away after a few days, but I feel like I've failed somebody...myself primarily. Thanks for the replies though fellas. Good to get things off my chest, and this seems like the place to do it.

You know what Grizzly? Just remember that feeling. Don't dwell on it, just remember it. Every now and again when I get tempted to take a stroll down to Stupid-ville, I just try and remember those mornings when my head felt like a foot and I had to call someone else who was there and ask the dreaded question "Dude, what the he*l did I do last night?"
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 7
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
02/06/2007 1:26 am
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintMan, I still feel like such an idiot though. What a pointless thing to do...Hopefully the feeling goes away after a few days, but I feel like I've failed somebody...myself primarily. Thanks for the replies though fellas. Good to get things off my chest, and this seems like the place to do it.

You got it out of the way and you're here today, so just write it up as an experience that you got out of the way.

As for the music revelation, I totally dig what you're saying. What you're saying as far as the soul vs technique is why I always side on the Hendrix side of the Hendrix vs EVH debate. Whenever I hear Hendrix I close my eyes and think "damn, this dude really is passionate about his music." EVH is just as passionate I'm sure, but sounds very methodical, technical and while still amazing, just doesn't give me the emotion that I get from listening to Jimi
# 8
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
02/06/2007 1:54 am
I've had that revelation from time to time. That's how i define music...arranging notes that trigger emotion.

I disagree with you on the malmsteen thing though...I mean, like you said--it's emotion. It's tottaly understandable that you don't feel anything, and i don't really like him...but if someone feels excitement, or elation, or fear because of it--that's emotion.

Feel better dude. Look up...most of us have been there.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 9
ren
ren
02/06/2007 10:01 am
I find it hard to believe that anyone puts music out that doesn't at least stir emotion in them. I feel like there aren't words to say what I'm thinking/feeling and music is the only way. Pop Idol ballpark a notable exception - some people want fame and fortune, but that's nothing to do with the music itself. Not to say I wouldn't like fame and fortune, but I'll settle for notoriety and covering the bills.

I play fast stuff mostly, but I still think it conveys emotion - just the listeners ears need to be a little tuned to it. There is underlying melody even if it's at 1000 notes a minute.

On the drink and drugs... I haven't had a drink now in about 9 years - I used to get so ill (without really drinking much - maybe allergic?). I smoke weed now and again - I do find it makes me more creative/unorthodox in approach, but it nails my motor skills, so I can't actually play what I hear in my head. I've ended up having to hum it and try in the morning... ;)

What's good for one person may be the ruin of another... as long as whatever you do you keep in reasonable limits, you'll probably survive it...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 10
aschleman
aschleman
02/06/2007 4:51 pm
You can't be old and wise unless you've been young and stupid...

You will never hear Pink Floyd the same after hearing it under the influence...

Funny story that I read in a Rolling Stones magazine...

They say that the first time that the Beatles ever smoked weed was with Bob Dylan... Ringo Starr didn't know how to do it so instead of taking a hit and passing it he smoked the whole joint.... Dylan ended up rolling individual joints for each of them... They say that day changed music becuase after that was when the Beatles started getting into there "good" music and Dylan got into his electric stuff.... They say that Dylan taught the Beatles how to write songs and the Beatles taught Dylan how to play music that day.... Not long after that was when Dylan went electric and The Beatles released the White and Black albums.
# 11
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
02/06/2007 5:16 pm
You are on the right track my man, Slow down and live
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 12
earthman buck
earthman buck
02/06/2007 8:16 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanNot long after that was when Dylan went electric and The Beatles released the White and Black albums.

Black albums?
# 13
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/06/2007 9:30 pm
Well I feel a heck of a lot better today. This morn at around 4 am, I was feeling pretty blue. But its funny how a nights sleep can have an effect. This experience just reinforces my belief that there is no use for drugs or alcohol. Personally, pretty much everyday after I drank myself to oblivion I've been ridiculously depressed. I've never had anything to show for it, and every time I've ended up looking like a fool. So I'd say thats the end of my career in that area. Perhaps others would have another opinion being I have a belief in God. That may have something to do with it.

Thank you all for your responses. You may not know, but they do help.
# 14
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
02/07/2007 2:51 pm
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintI have a belief in God. That may have something to do with it.Thank you all for your responses. You may not know, but they do help.
You can do what ever you want Bro! :)
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.