View post (A Revelation)

View thread

grizzlymint
grizzlymint
02/05/2007 10:57 pm
So last night I watched the game when my friends roommate comes over. He insisted myself and my roommate need to come to his place and help him drink a 30 pack. So we go over, and the festivities begin. So after a few cold ones, I'm feelin pretty good. We're listenin to this trippy music he records, and I was enjoying it. I typically wouldn't enjoy this style but it seemed to make sense under the influence. Kind of opened my eyes to a few things. So many people nowadays are trying to write technically difficult, hard to digest music. But this stuff was just the emotions he was expressing from day to day. I point to Jeff Beck in a situation like this. He plays his guitar from the soul, as opposed to doing blistering fast lines at 200 BPM. I up until this point have been one of the ones trying to make technically difficult and catchy riffs instead of keeping focus on the art of what music actually is. Its emotion translated into sound. Does anyone really express your emotions through blistering fast riffs? Maybe if its metal and you have pent up aggression, but when I look at someone like Malmsteen, I find it hard to believe that his music has any substance to it whatsoever.

I don't know, whats your guys' opinions? What is music to you? I'm starting to believe its nothing but the art of emotion expression. Perhaps thats why the trippy stuff sounds better under the influence of something. We have a better understanding for it when we can escape the standards of music theory and technicalities. That being said, I don't necessarily believe you have to be stoned or drunk to understand and/or appreciate it. Or make it for that matter.

Another revelation I had was that drugs and alcohol are no longer on my to do list. I got high, on a substance that will remain nameless, last night, and I felt like such an idiot and a scum bag today. Same goes with alcohol. I tried it and it all seems pointless. Temporary escape from daily pressures, just to puke and feel nasty the next day. And you're back to square one.

I think I had a lot come out of last night, which I think will help me musically and personally in the long run.

Sorry, this was pretty much a pointless thread, but I felt only other musicians could understand it, and I had to get it off my chest.

On a side note, by the end of the night, a window had been broken and now that guys is probably getting evicted for other reasons also. Thats my sign to stay away from this stuff.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.