Guitar Playing Seniors

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/25/2007 5:06 pm
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUk.... So I stll hark back to my old Purple/Hawkwind/Quo records - cos they had the biggest impact on me at the time. Music may have moved on - I haven't.... :o

Oh, Yeah! Hawkwind - Doremi Faso Latido - Space is Deep. Great stuff! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
02/26/2007 12:11 am
All right all you senior, I mean...seasoned guitar players, it's no big deal...being seasoned...thanks for signing in everybody, it's great to hear from everyone. I had no idea this many of us would say hello in this thread. :D

Lets keep this thread going, many, many interesting people are dropping in and saying hello!! If anyone would like to contribute something technical about the oldies, lets post it!!! :rolleyes:

Any information on guys like Hendrix, Clapton, even guys from the 80's like Eddie Van Halen, or say, Mr. Satriani, anything worth mentioning on guitar playing whether it's trivial or not, lets talk about it!!! :cool:
"I've heeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything"
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/26/2007 12:55 am
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64....Any information on guys like Hendrix, Clapton, even guys from the 80's like Eddie Van Halen, or say, Mr. Satriani, anything worth mentioning on guitar playing whether it's trivial or not, lets talk about it!!! :cool:

Uhh, dude.....

You, like, want the entire forum transferred to this one thread??? :confused:

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but please, give your head a shake! :eek:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
03/01/2007 4:40 am
Ok, Ok, time is rather limited on my behalf there Mr. Strings. Perhaps I should look around the forum before speaking. I do realize this now... :eek: But, I do appreciate the reality check...honestly, thanks. :D

Anyway, my guitar, an Ibanez GRG170DX, which I must say is rather nice (all things considerd) is getting converted to DiMarzio humbuckers and the solo pick-up in between. There is a thread concerning this conversion here within the forum and I used it to make the decision to do so. I've heard only good things about those pick-ups both solo and dual mounted and I can't wait to get the guitar back to check things out. ;)

Do anyone of us seasoned players contemplate turning professional? I know there are quite a few players within the forum that play gigs, which is great! I would love to do something like that, but can this reality actually support me whilst I give up my career? Maybe winning the lottery will help me get started at best. Just alittle humor there...

Just out of curiosity, how much do us seasoned players play, hourly per week, or daily for that matter? Was just wondering. Me, well I'm averaging 1.5 hours per day, but most of that is concentrated on the weekend. It's sort of therapy for me...

Take care...
# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/01/2007 12:00 pm
Well, let's see. I usually try to play an hour or so a night. I wish you much luck on moving into the professional arena! That would be excellent. As far as something that will help sustain you while you make your move; I dunno. Do you teach? That could be something. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
03/01/2007 7:03 pm
Well im only 31 and im not going to pretend to say I know anything about being seasoned players (Hell I can bearly play now...lol). I can say when I do become a seasoned player I already know what my big gigs will be. It will be the same gig my grandfather played. It will be sitting on the back porch sorounded by close family and friends and playing my heart out, and hopefully being the most increadible and amazing artist (in their eye) that ever walked the earth. Well thats the way I will always rember my grandfather, and would love to even come close to his greatness. That my friends would be my "greatest gigs". Sorry.... hope I didnt get off topic here. Just reading this reminded me of a great man. I say rock on seasoned players...... to me yall are the bread and butter of music. Well im my eyes at least.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 6
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
03/01/2007 7:35 pm
I don't think I will make a move to turn professional at all, I was just checking to see if any of you guys who have posted may have thought to do just that. I do take the hobby very, very, seriously though!!! :eek:

I would like to be able to increase my endurance to practice more and have more in-depth sessions. Many players highly recommend that you don't train for quantity but for the quality of your sessions, or, you will develop bad habits. After many a year of practice, then your endurance to absorb new stuff and use the "hands" as Joe Satriani would speak of, will become apparent. I see myself getting really undisciplined when I'm tired, say, after, 30-45 minutes of straight playing...really, you should take a break...do whatever it takes to relax, and even if you can't go back, just STOP and don't play for a day or so. I've read that but I can't remember where. :(

Chow!!!
# 7
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/02/2007 12:34 am
to tell another person "how to practice" is a tricky thing .. everyone is different, but i think that you have to force yourself , at least a little, this is the nature of discipline
# 8
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
03/04/2007 10:16 pm
Originally Posted by: iceandhotwaxto tell another person "how to practice" is a tricky thing .. everyone is different, but i think that you have to force yourself , at least a little, this is the nature of discipline

Agreed ICE...agreed, not to sound like a bossy person and being a jerk in general. Didn't mean anything by that post before, just wanted to share. :D

Many people think the invention of the century is the aircraft, but you know, a distant second is without a doubt, the electric guitar. But, where would the electric guitar be without the acousitc? Any thoughts on this from the "seasoned players"?
# 9
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/04/2007 11:08 pm
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64Agreed ICE...agreed, not to sound like a bossy person and being a jerk in general. Didn't mean anything by that post before, just wanted to share. :D

Many people think the invention of the century is the aircraft, but you know, a distant second is without a doubt, the electric guitar. But, where would the electric guitar be without the acousitc? Any thoughts on this from the "seasoned players"?

Well, there would be no electric without the acoustic - I think that goes without saying - it's like a natural evolution of the instrument. That's something that I really find interesting about the guitar is that it continues to grow and change. Maybe I'm a bit myopic about the guitar since it's the only instrument I try to play and the only one I have any real interest in, but you don't see that many new developments with most other instruments. Keyboards being a notable exception. But look at the others. They don't seem to have evolved that much.

If you want a great history on the guitar, read 'Guitar-An American Life' by Tim Brookes. It really shows the development of the guitar in America.

It's also interesting to note that the acoustic was pretty much THE instrument of protest back in the 60's. When it went electric, it moved from being protest/blues/folk to rock in it's purest form. Do you think that Hendrix or EVH or Satch or any of these guys would have achieved the hallowed status of guitar God's without the advance of the electric guitar? Maybe but more likely as classical guitarists rather than 'popular' guitarists.

It's tough to speculate where music would be without the invention of the of the electric guitar. Something else may have stepped in and taken it's place. Perhaps we would be trading information on 'Clarinet Tricks' instead. :D
# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/05/2007 1:36 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60... It's also interesting to note that the acoustic was pretty much THE instrument of protest back in the 60's. When it went electric, it moved from being protest/blues/folk to rock in it's purest form. ...

Hold that thought. You will be hearing more from me on that subject soon! ;)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
03/05/2007 1:48 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60If you want a great history on the guitar, read 'Guitar-An American Life' by Tim Brookes. It really shows the development of the guitar in America.

It's also interesting to note that the acoustic was pretty much THE instrument of protest back in the 60's. When it went electric, it moved from being protest/blues/folk to rock in it's purest form. Do you think that Hendrix or EVH or Satch or any of these guys would have achieved the hallowed status of guitar God's without the advance of the electric guitar? Maybe but more likely as classical guitarists rather than 'popular' guitarists.

From what I understand, hunter, I'm sure you remember artists like Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, and Richie Havens all tried to mellow people out with the acoustic guitar. It seems like a contradiction of sorts; during the Vietnam Era, the 60's, it was this time when these three artists were prolific. Then came Disco to mello out the troops after the war. That was more intense than the acoustics of the 60's. It seems as though acoustics sort of went away after 73', a time when it should have been relaxing everyone??? :confused:

For some strange reason, acoustic guitar simply does not interest me that much, although I do enjoy listening. Would I be correct in saying the majority of members in the forum are electric guitar players? Is there a statistic for this anywhere?

Great post hunter... and thanks for the book reference. I will definately check this one out and get a personal copy as well.
# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/05/2007 2:55 am
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64From what I understand, hunter, I'm sure you remember artists like Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, and Richie Havens all tried to mellow people out with the acoustic guitar. It seems like a contradiction of sorts; during the Vietnam Era, the 60's, it was this time when these three artists were prolific. Then came Disco to mello out the troops after the war. That was more intense than the acoustics of the 60's. It seems as though acoustics sort of went away after 73', a time when it should have been relaxing everyone??? :confused:

Interesting point. Although I tend to be of the mind that Disco was a natural outcropping of the ennui of the end of the 60's. I saw it as a meld, a kind of hybrid, of youth that was moving from the idealism of their youth to their late twenties, early thirties where there was this realization that they weren't going to change the world after all and funk/soul and R&B. Plus (and I am sure many will disagree with me here) the recreational pharmaceuticals that were being consumed in the seventies were much, much stronger than they were in the sixties. People were burnt out, tired and disillusioned. They were aching for something simple, something that just played to their hedonisitic tendencies. They didn't want to be forced to think. They didn't want music that had a purpose other than to be the soundtrack for drinking, dancing, drugging and ..well, other things. As a member of the disillusioned generation of the seventies, I was a part of that.

I love playing the electric guitar. It has so much range and power. You can make an electric cry or scream. It can provide a back beat that can make your hair stand on end or drop you to your knees in awe. But I still find the quiet and respectful sounds of a well played acoustic to be some of the most beautiful music heard. Acoustic guitar seems to be the perfect stage for a master story-teller. Almost as if, when played well, the acoustic guitar and player are playing a duet. When a masterful electric guitarist is playing, it's like watching two individual stars on stage. (Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I am saying that correctly. Sorry.)

I find myself switching back and forth between the two. Some nights are perfect to crank the amp and HIT IT HARD. And other nights, the acoustic just eases me into a nice relaxed state.
# 13
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
03/05/2007 6:40 am
Acoustic: relaxing? :confused:

A big reason that Pete Townsend is such a noticeable influence on my own music is that he showed me how much emotional power can be wrought with an acoustic guitar. Mellow? I think not, sir. See how how much chillin' you can do to the mellow strains of "Magic Bus" or "Behind Blue Eyes".
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 14
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/05/2007 12:25 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsAcoustic: relaxing? :confused:

A big reason that Pete Townsend is such a noticeable influence on my own music is that he showed me how much emotional power can be wrought with an acoustic guitar. Mellow? I think not, sir. See how how much chillin' you can do to the mellow strains of "Magic Bus" or "Behind Blue Eyes".

Yup. Good point. Plenty of kick-butt music has been done on an acoustic. I have a Collective Soul CD of acoustic versions of some of their songs and some of the tracks really do blast. Neil Young, Dylan, The Beatles, The Stones...etc. The list is long.
# 15
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/06/2007 9:52 pm
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64Agreed ICE...agreed, not to sound like a bossy person and being a jerk in general. Didn't mean anything by that post before, just wanted to share. :D

sorry , while i LOVE my guitars dearly the invention of the century is the cordless drill ...
# 16
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
03/07/2007 3:45 am
Originally Posted by: iceandhotwaxsorry , while i LOVE my guitars dearly the invention of the century is the cordless drill ...

Thats a good one if you're into construction there ICE...

Hunter - excellent points about DISCO. You know more than I do buddy. :)

Also, me LORD, excellent commentary about Pete, very, very cool..."face the face, we got raise the rates"...
# 17
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/07/2007 12:17 pm
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64Thats a good one if you're into construction there ICE...

Hunter - excellent points about DISCO. You know more than I do buddy. :)

Also, me LORD, excellent commentary about Pete, very, very cool..."face the face, we got raise the rates"...

Disco was horrible (for a rock fan anyway). I remember being there at disco record burning parties. That was a howl. :)
# 18
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
03/22/2007 3:41 pm
For those of us who have had the opportunity to live on both the East and West Coasts, I've noticed the music between the two locations have not completely overlapped and have some congruence as well as some differences. The Northeast still plays Disco, the same as was played in the 70's.

Los Angeles on the other hand, very alternative to include Seattle tunes, such as Grunge. Being in Philly right now, we have the same music being played as was here when I was a child in NY. That was a long time ago.

LA, still has a load of new bands, Rock as well as Alternative and there is a never ending supply of musicians producing new stuff. Does anyone have any idea why, why, do the East and West Coasts produce, play, and sometimes keep new music from being exposed to each other? In particular, LA music from NY? New York, in particular, doesn't play new stuff and is incessant on playing oldies in some format on all radio stations. Gone, however, are the tunes of the 50's and some 60's. They seem to be going away. The other day, I did hear some Booker T and MG's. Although not Rock & Roll, Steve Cropper plays a cool American Strat (I believe), in all solos in all of their songs. It's nice, mean guitar.

HOW DID WE GET ON THIS SUBJECT ANYWAY???
# 19
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
03/22/2007 4:59 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60Disco was horrible (for a rock fan anyway). I remember being there at disco record burning parties. That was a howl. :)
Kiss I was made for lovin you, I was like God kill me.
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.