Guitar Playing Seniors

ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
02/03/2007 3:29 am
I've just came across some sort of a news letter sent to me from GuitarTricks, (please forgive the semi-unprofessional approach) for this new and first thread for me, an excerpt pertaining to us senior guitar players. :cool:

Hunter60 had mentioned something in the news letter to the effect that learning to play guitar from a book would be the equivalent of a monkey going to the airport and learning to fly by watching the airplanes fly around in the pattern??? :D

Well gals and guys, I'm 43 soon, and I had done just that when I was little. When I was 22 and in college, I had recieved a commercial license with all the goodies attached to it and actually, briefly flew in the military before downsizing took place by the Prez...did fantasize about flying while listening to the riffs by Hendrix, Clapton, and later on in the late 80's, Mr. Satriani. Like Hunter60, I'm too a senior, and started playing about 8 years ago. Since leaving flying, I've always fantasized about playing guitar and finally decided to take it seriously, an expression of freedom, flying jet fighters and screeching riffs somehow go hand in hand I think.

This is a great site to learn new things. I'm excersizing the speed of my left hand and have made great strides recently with HPCrazy's help. I'm learning to process the transition from chord to chord with my left hand and all though this is not my favorite type of melodic adventure, I still admire the cool major and relative minor scale transitions of some of the ClassicRock artists of the 60's and 70's. Anyone who would like to share thoughts of this time era, please feel free to comment on this one. ;)
"I've heeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything"
# 1
quickfingers
quickfingers
02/03/2007 5:31 am
classic rock in general is such an awesome genre of music to be interested in when you are just learning guitar...it is much easier to see your improvement, as well as enjoy it, which is why we play music. i started playing almost 4 years ago with a love of classic rock and the blues, and it carried me into what i do know...which is slightly more complicated. haha. but i still appreciate what those genres gave to me confidence-wise in the early part of guitar-dom. ACDC and punk rock where my first fuel depots for the supply of bitchin' riffs that i crank out today.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 2
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/03/2007 1:20 pm
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64I've just came across some sort of a news letter sent to me from GuitarTricks, (please forgive the semi-unprofessional approach) for this new and first thread for me, an excerpt pertaining to us senior guitar players. :cool:

Hunter60 had mentioned something in the news letter to the effect that learning to play guitar from a book would be the equivalent of a monkey going to the airport and learning to fly by watching the airplanes fly around in the pattern??? :D

Well gals and guys, I'm 43 soon, and I had done just that when I was little. When I was 22 and in college, I had recieved a commercial license with all the goodies attached to it and actually, briefly flew in the military before downsizing took place by the Prez...did fantasize about flying while listening to the riffs by Hendrix, Clapton, and later on in the late 80's, Mr. Satriani. Like Hunter60, I'm too a senior, and started playing about 8 years ago. Since leaving flying, I've always fantasized about playing guitar and finally decided to take it seriously, an expression of freedom, flying jet fighters and screeching riffs somehow go hand in hand I think.

This is a great site to learn new things. I'm excersizing the speed of my left hand and have made great strides recently with HPCrazy's help. I'm learning to process the transition from chord to chord with my left hand and all though this is not my favorite type of melodic adventure, I still admire the cool major and relative minor scale transitions of some of the ClassicRock artists of the 60's and 70's. Anyone who would like to share thoughts of this time era, please feel free to comment on this one. ;)

Hi Classic! Welcome. Like you, I love the classics. I think I knew I wanted to learn how to play guitar even when I was a little kid and Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, The Who and The Stones had 'brand new hits' being played on the radio. All the stuff they consider 'classics' nowadays. Jeez, I remember the very first time I heard Purple Haze and I just about lost my mind!!! Wow. From there, I started to develop an interest in the blues which continues to this day. Then on to rock-a-billy, jazz, Americana, folk, classic country...etc.

But it all comes back to those great tunes from years ago. They mean the most to me. Good luck and welcome to GT. You'll find a lot of assistance here (should you need it or want it). Great site, terrific lessons and most of all, tremendous people.

H60
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 3
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
02/07/2007 7:30 am
Thanks H60 and Fingers, sorry it took a couple of days to sign-in again, it's great to meet you both. :)

Keep playing and getting better and keep in mind everything we do has its ups and downs and studying guitar is no different. The important thing to remember is to keep going. Many a guitar instructor will tell you it's the quaility of our training sessions versus the amount, or both for that matter (that would be better) but I think you'll know what I mean by all this. There are mornings such as now where my brain and hands are feeling good, then again, when I come home from work I'm not so sharp.

What does all this mean, "Guitar Playing Seniors"!!! :rolleyes:, are a unique bunch, young at heart perhaps???

As Bob Dylan would say, "Keep the Faith"!!!
# 4
DAMAGED ONE
DAMAGED ONE
02/08/2007 7:51 pm
Happy Bithday :)
The Mind Is A Terrible Think To Waste.
# 5
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
02/08/2007 9:48 pm
Welcome to GT, and Happy b-day man. The double whammy. :D
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
02/08/2007 10:01 pm
Welcome to the boards!!

I'm only 23 and in college but I'm an old soul... I fully believe that the 50's, 60's, and 70's were the best three decades of music that we've had so far... Mostly just the 60's and 70's... the strides that were made in those decades can be compared to the strides of the 80's and 90's but I believe that without those artists music as we know it would largely be a stagnant thing... With little change. Quite possibly most of the musicians that we know such as Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, Van Halen, Dimebag, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhoads... on and on... might not have ever picked up a guitar if it weren't for those that paved the road before them and gave them their very own guitar heros....

Rock on man.
# 7
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
02/09/2007 12:04 am
Well happy birthday to ya!
Don't underestimate the depth of classic rock. Sure there's fairly simplistic examples like Steve Miller, but other bands like Rush, Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Yes, or maybe even some of the Doors stuff has enough complexity technically and musically for plenty of study. I'm only 27 myself, but since my early teens I've mostly turned to the classic rock era for many of my musical tastes, not being wholly inspired by much of the "MTV" era music. Well anyways, I'm just kinda ranting...welcome to the site!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 8
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/09/2007 12:09 am
Happy Birthday my man. Enjoy. And as you say, 'Keep the faith.'

(And I'll give you a pass. You're from Philly. I'm from Pittsburgh. Natural born enemies.... :D )

Welcome to GT.
# 9
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
02/10/2007 12:59 am
Thanks for birthday wishes guys, it's very kind of you all. THANKS!!! :)

Everyone's been mentioning the 60's through the late 70's and I think and agree it was the greatest time in rock and roll. Does anyone remember HOCUS POCUS by FOCUS. The guitar riffs were awesome, still trying to imitate that one and cannot get anywhere near the acidic tunes portrayed by that song!!! Does anyone have any knowledge of the construction of that song or any knowledge of any other unique stand alone riff that really made an impact on us??? :rolleyes:

Once again, thanks for the birthday wishes!!! :D
# 10
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
02/10/2007 9:19 pm
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64

Everyone's been mentioning the 60's through the late 70's and I think and agree it was the greatest time in rock and roll. Does anyone remember HOCUS POCUS by FOCUS. The guitar riffs were awesome, still trying to imitate that one and cannot get anywhere near the acidic tunes portrayed by that song!!! Does anyone have any knowledge of the construction of that song or any knowledge of any other unique stand alone riff that really made an impact on us??? :rolleyes:

Once again, thanks for the birthday wishes!!! :D

I'll add my good wishes too... Yeah, I remember that song, haven't listened to it for a long time, I should dig it out. Jan Akkerman was an awesome guitarist, I remember he used to chain smoke while playing & tuck the cig's onto the headstock...

Just as an aside, I turned 50 last month... I don't feel senior, just older! :( all downhill now!
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 11
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
02/12/2007 7:39 am
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUkI'll add my good wishes too... Yeah, I remember that song, haven't listened to it for a long time, I should dig it out. Jan Akkerman was an awesome guitarist, I remember he used to chain smoke while playing & tuck the cig's onto the headstock...

Just as an aside, I turned 50 last month... I don't feel senior, just older! :( all downhill now!

I believe this song (HOCUS POCUS) came around right about the time that Southeastern Asian War came to an end, and, right about the time that disco era came marching in designed to take the minds of the servicemen that came home, off those problems as such. I can't seem to forget the yodeling in that song. ;)

Talking about downhill from here Wriggler, you never know what's going to go on here as far as that goes, there may be a pill to take someday to keep us going forever, or at least, live much longer. :rolleyes:

Anyway, hope I didn't get too SCI-FI there, and please, I hope that didn't freak anyone out, don't take it so seriously...just in case...

Anyone have any practice ideas for us guys who work, and like I've mentioned in an earlier post, is it possible to develop a training syllabus for us seniors to increase our playability and the quality of our training sessions? So far, the only real problem I may have occaisonally is alittle fatigue, we're not the young bucks we used to be, but if I could only spend some more time resting before playing, perhaps we could make such great strides in song writing etc., does any have any similiar problems?
# 12
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/12/2007 3:45 pm
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64I believe this song (HOCUS POCUS) came around right about the time that Southeastern Asian War came to an end, and, right about the time that disco era came marching in designed to take the minds of the servicemen that came home, off those problems as such. I can't seem to forget the yodeling in that song. ;)

Talking about downhill from here Wriggler, you never know what's going to go on here as far as that goes, there may be a pill to take someday to keep us going forever, or at least, live much longer. :rolleyes:

Anyway, hope I didn't get too SCI-FI there, and please, I hope that didn't freak anyone out, don't take it so seriously...just in case...

Anyone have any practice ideas for us guys who work, and like I've mentioned in an earlier post, is it possible to develop a training syllabus for us seniors to increase our playability and the quality of our training sessions? So far, the only real problem I may have occaisonally is alittle fatigue, we're not the young bucks we used to be, but if I could only spend some more time resting before playing, perhaps we could make such great strides in song writing etc., does any have any similiar problems?

Hmm. Interesting thought but I would wonder if being a little older than the classic student really is that much different other than the time to devote to practice. I will be interested to see if someone can provide a decent practice set that can help speed development.

Being a little older gives us one advantage to children in that we choose to do this and have a little more of a vested interest in this than the children do. Plus we have a lifetime of exposure to different styles of music to draw from too. On the downside, at least for me, I don't learn quite as fast as I did twenty or thirty years ago.

It's nothing more than a hobby for me but being the classic over-achiever and workaholic, I try to devote a lot of time to this. Weird I know, but I know I'm not alone in this either.
# 13
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
02/13/2007 6:32 am
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64Talking about downhill from here Wriggler, you never know what's going to go on here as far as that goes, there may be a pill to take someday to keep us going forever, or at least, live much longer. :rolleyes:

I don't freak easily - too worldly wise for that! :)
I think if I was going to live much longer, I'd want to have started earlier!

# 14
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
02/23/2007 11:03 pm
Hello everyone, it's been a few days since I've been around and I'm glad to sign on again. Just downloaded an extensive finger exercise I really need to study...by Mr. Ben Lindholm. It's entitled 1-2-3-4 Sequence - it's a good one indeed...my fingers are limber yet alittle fatigued. :D

Wriggler, I'm glad you don't freak easily, I don't either, just wanted to exercise alittle discreration after speaking something obtuse...You know, us seniors, or I should say seasoned players, really have alot to contribute to music being that we have grown up with everyone, with our knowledge and passion for electric guitar and music, there are musical domains out there to be discovered that are unique to everyone that may be within a younger generation in OUR future. Who knows? Perhaps with new instruments coming out like seven-string guitars and basses, there may be opportunities just like that out there. :rolleyes:

Anyone else feel this way??? It's interesting??? To ponder that is... :cool:
# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/24/2007 4:10 am
Seniors? :confused: WTF? I was born on 4 October 1952! (Shake a leg y'old buggers - I know you can do the math!)

I tell people that I could teach the History of Rock'n'Roll from memory - if only I could remember....

After you waste a certain number of years in pursuit of 'ultimate technique', you realise that it's more important to make every note count.

That's my story - and I'm sticking to it. :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 16
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/24/2007 1:17 pm
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsSeniors? :confused: WTF? I was born on 4 October 1952! (Shake a leg y'old buggers - I know you can do the math!)

I tell people that I could teach the History of Rock'n'Roll from memory - if only I could remember....

After you waste a certain number of years in pursuit of 'ultimate technique', you realise that it's more important to make every note count.

That's my story - and I'm sticking to it. :p

I'm with you my brother! Born in 1960, I still bristle a little bit when I hear the songs I love and grew up with pushed over to the 'oldies' station. I don't consider myself a 'senior' as opposed to being a 'survivor' and if you lived through the 60' and 70's, you know precisely what I mean! Hoo hoo. Weird times but man, what a blast.
# 17
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
02/25/2007 12:43 am
1961... and ty for makin me feel like i am not the OLD man on the block ...or only old man... lol
# 18
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
02/25/2007 3:35 pm
Originally Posted by: iceandhotwax1961... and ty for makin me feel like i am not the OLD man on the block ...or only old man... lol

Always glad to help... :D

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's time for my Metamucil and a nap...
# 19
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
02/25/2007 4:05 pm
Originally Posted by: ClassicRock64Hello everyone, it's been a few days since I've been around and I'm glad to sign on again. Just downloaded an extensive finger exercise I really need to study...by Mr. Ben Lindholm. It's entitled 1-2-3-4 Sequence - it's a good one indeed...my fingers are limber yet alittle fatigued.

Wriggler, I'm glad you don't freak easily, I don't either, just wanted to exercise alittle discreration after speaking something obtuse...You know, us seniors, or I should say seasoned players, really have alot to contribute to music being that we have grown up with everyone, with our knowledge and passion for electric guitar and music, there are musical domains out there to be discovered that are unique to everyone that may be within a younger generation in OUR future. Who knows? Perhaps with new instruments coming out like seven-string guitars and basses, there may be opportunities just like that out there.

Anyone else feel this way??? It's interesting??? To ponder that is...

SEVEN strings...??? I've not got used to 6 yet! I think my great contribution is going to be atonal variations on the classic songs. There's almost limitless possibilities there.

Actually despite being a child of the fifties, I was raised through the sixties/early 70's in South Africa - conservative is putting it mildly. I didn't really encounter (rock or any other) music till about 72 -73. So I stll hark back to my old Purple/Hawkwind/Quo records - cos they had the biggest impact on me at the time. Music may have moved on - I haven't.... :o

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.