View post (Guitar Playing Seniors)

View thread

ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
02/03/2007 3:29 am
I've just came across some sort of a news letter sent to me from GuitarTricks, (please forgive the semi-unprofessional approach) for this new and first thread for me, an excerpt pertaining to us senior guitar players. :cool:

Hunter60 had mentioned something in the news letter to the effect that learning to play guitar from a book would be the equivalent of a monkey going to the airport and learning to fly by watching the airplanes fly around in the pattern??? :D

Well gals and guys, I'm 43 soon, and I had done just that when I was little. When I was 22 and in college, I had recieved a commercial license with all the goodies attached to it and actually, briefly flew in the military before downsizing took place by the Prez...did fantasize about flying while listening to the riffs by Hendrix, Clapton, and later on in the late 80's, Mr. Satriani. Like Hunter60, I'm too a senior, and started playing about 8 years ago. Since leaving flying, I've always fantasized about playing guitar and finally decided to take it seriously, an expression of freedom, flying jet fighters and screeching riffs somehow go hand in hand I think.

This is a great site to learn new things. I'm excersizing the speed of my left hand and have made great strides recently with HPCrazy's help. I'm learning to process the transition from chord to chord with my left hand and all though this is not my favorite type of melodic adventure, I still admire the cool major and relative minor scale transitions of some of the ClassicRock artists of the 60's and 70's. Anyone who would like to share thoughts of this time era, please feel free to comment on this one. ;)
"I've heeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything"