View post (Guitar Playing Seniors)

View thread

ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
ClassicRock64
03/05/2007 1:48 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60If you want a great history on the guitar, read 'Guitar-An American Life' by Tim Brookes. It really shows the development of the guitar in America.

It's also interesting to note that the acoustic was pretty much THE instrument of protest back in the 60's. When it went electric, it moved from being protest/blues/folk to rock in it's purest form. Do you think that Hendrix or EVH or Satch or any of these guys would have achieved the hallowed status of guitar God's without the advance of the electric guitar? Maybe but more likely as classical guitarists rather than 'popular' guitarists.

From what I understand, hunter, I'm sure you remember artists like Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, and Richie Havens all tried to mellow people out with the acoustic guitar. It seems like a contradiction of sorts; during the Vietnam Era, the 60's, it was this time when these three artists were prolific. Then came Disco to mello out the troops after the war. That was more intense than the acoustics of the 60's. It seems as though acoustics sort of went away after 73', a time when it should have been relaxing everyone??? :confused:

For some strange reason, acoustic guitar simply does not interest me that much, although I do enjoy listening. Would I be correct in saying the majority of members in the forum are electric guitar players? Is there a statistic for this anywhere?

Great post hunter... and thanks for the book reference. I will definately check this one out and get a personal copy as well.
"I've heeded warnings, I thought I thought of everything"