GT Solo Assignment Jan'07

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/02/2007 3:58 am
Hey guys. I've decide to start off the '07 series of Assignments with something a little funky. It'll be a little more challenging and will get you guys into using some different scales and rythm patterns. you can download the track from My Soundclick page or from the direct link below, just right click and save target as. Have fun with it!

P.S, Please answer the poll at the top. It'll help me to make these assignments better for everyone! Thanks!
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
01/02/2007 4:46 am
Interesting track this month. I will have trouble with it but I'll give it a shot.

I answered the poll to try different styles but it's fun too.
# 2
DEMONIAC
DEMONIAC
01/02/2007 9:41 pm
very intresting BT...well i voted on the pole for,To learn different styles and for (cuz it let me select two),To polish up on technique its also very chalenging,and as i have a on going thing with band memebrs ...i told them i can play with anything or anyone so im here to prove it to them.....pluse its just fun and im learning alot from this site....it kicks ass....thanks for your hardwork keeping it up and running.....

any how i just finished this months solo thingy its very difrent indeed i chose a realy funky sound on my pedal for this.....and im still playing with it this came out kinda quick so i might find a new sound and redo it.....
so what you guys think....anything?.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=611655

gt solo jan.
# 3
KiL Zero
KiL Zero
01/03/2007 3:43 am
Sorry, i'm new here, what do you want us to do with the track?
# 4
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/03/2007 3:59 am
Just put some lead guitar over it, host your mp3 somewhere like soundclick or purevolume, and then come back here and give us a link to where we can listen to your take. :)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/03/2007 11:33 pm
I just solo'd over that track for an hour, and have yet to come up with anything out of the ordinary. I think this idea is really cool though, and the backing tracks I've listened to have been great. Nice job guys, and great idea. :cool:

I will keep working on mine til its up to par for recording.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 6
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
01/04/2007 1:37 am
Demoniac your track was very good, especially your main hook. You did lose it though in the bridge section where the song changes key from Dmajor to F (or Dminor)
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 7
DEMONIAC
DEMONIAC
01/04/2007 2:49 am
thats my main problem i play by ear i have been learning the dminor and other music cords and alot of theary...thats why im hear though to learn ....
any sagestions on practiceing to know what im hearing and such....im gona redo the track i dont much like the sound of it now that i listen to it again
i am a self taught guitar player other then being showed by a few freinds how to play this or that ive never realy learnd anybody ealses music...
allways wrighting my own.....i can repost that track right.....

sorry my spelling is so bad im a musican not a poet.... :D
# 8
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
01/04/2007 4:47 am
Ok I have something up. I need to find a different route. I keep doing the same thing on all these tracks. I can't seem to break out of it.

It sounds a bit lounge like to me. Picture a large bar with a stage and red valor decor. It's dark except one dim spotlight on me. I'm on the stage with a guitar and a tape of the backup band playing. There are only 3 old drunks sitting at the bar talking about the old days as I play on. Sad... :D

I will try to do something different.

Bar Chord Nick
# 9
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/04/2007 4:47 am
Hey Demoniac, fellow self-taught guy here. Basically, what I did was learn major scales and the petatonic scale. I'd say I've also got a decent ear, so I can pick out scales when a note sounds right. Learn a few scales, just the patterns, and then figure out what key it is in, and then you can figure out where on the fret board to start. Thats what I do anyways, though others may offer different, more efficient advice. You can jam on those scales, and you'l pick up new things along the way. Hope this helps.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 10
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
01/04/2007 4:52 am
Also, very nice Nick. Smooth, good effect with the wah. I enjoyed it.
# 11
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
Bar Chord Nick
Full Access
01/04/2007 4:57 am
grizzlymint: Thanks man

DEMONIAC: I just listened to your track and hear you went the way of the wah pedal too...lol Sounds good. As Julian pointed out you missed the change but fix that and its good to go man.
# 12
quickfingers
quickfingers
01/04/2007 7:34 am
awwwww, shoot. this bt just made me happy....in my pants.

ill jazz it tomorrow.

i can just here those dorian licks being thrown in there. uuuuuh. wow. i need to map some sh*t out.

uuuh.

i like guitar.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 13
DEMONIAC
DEMONIAC
01/04/2007 8:10 am
thanks for the input guys...i think i got it ......after a few more beers i might try and record....i hear the part i missed now that it wuz broght to my atention....i decided to stay with the same efect on my pedal with the main part and switch to some soft distortion the setting on my pedal is kinda weird cuz it doesent realy do the wawa efect unless i half mute the strings...if anybody els is useing a digitech rp 50 im useing the factory preset number 59
and for the new take 59 and 58 i hope with this next take i can show some real talent:) hahahah ya right....i like this bt it pushes me to do something ive never done before as far as new style and sound and rythem for that matter ive played it all day ...lol....my fingures hurt like hell but i cant seem to put my guitar down...i onley played with the bt three or four times before i recorded the last one....rock on....and play it again sam.....
# 14
DEMONIAC
DEMONIAC
01/04/2007 10:29 am
ok its now 4:11am thursday my time ive been up sence 8:00 am my time wensday playing non stop (i just couldent stop)and im about dead,,,,not realy the beer keep me alive....lol....i loved this months bt very fun to do and chalenging......the rythem i got down quick but the change ups took me some time to hear why i dont know cuz i play by ear but non the less difacult....and playing a solo with out another ronchy distorted guitar to back me up ment i hade to be tight with my changes and to go form fret 19 back to 2 that quick wuz hard for me to do...but i did it........ anyhow im kinda proud of this one ......and id like to give a big thanks to hpcrazy cuz his insite to music opend my mind and my ears that much more......come on lets time warp and get on to the next one.....lol....so what you guys think of this take better.....did i hit the changes right? what could i have done better? one thing i know and think i could have done better is my transishin(?) from note to note on the higher end ...i think i could have done it more smoothly but my fingures hurt and im dead tierd but i think i can live with it......and i also have gage 10 strings on my axe so my squeels dident come out the way i wanted and i tried many many times to get them right.... i usaly play with gage 9 but i wuz out of mony and thess where free:) so i cant complain much....i will soon be back to 9's cuz 10's suck for my style of playing

nick i liked your track i think you hade some nice work of them scales going on something i am enveyous of ....hahah i onley know 3 scales lol.....evrey thing else is a acident....... i could see the both of us in the same old bar playing ...but im also a little tipsy so maybe i wuz just seeing you in double....lol

o ya i allmost forgot i left the first track on my sound click page so if anybody wants to hear my first take they can but my second take is allso there it is GT_solo_jan_take2

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=611655

holy crap looks like i wrote a book.....sorry my post is so long......
# 15
blk911
blk911
01/05/2007 10:11 pm
if you could post the key and the chord progression?
# 16
azza6
azza6
01/05/2007 10:21 pm
ok guys im not very good..
I have been playing for 3 years but Ive never done something like this..
So heres my entry..
Please let me know what you think!
(yes i dont know much theory so i just played notes that sounded roughly good..)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=636657

Please check out my other song there 2! :)
# 17
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
01/05/2007 10:56 pm
Originally Posted by: blk911if you could post the key and the chord progression?

I've only listened to it a few times but when I have time to do my solo I'll map out the chord progression fully. The main part is in Dmajor and the first 8 bars go:

Dmajor////F#minor7////Eminor7////A7////
F#minor7////Dmajor7////Eminor7////A7

As far as I can tell the bridge is in F, or Dminor
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 18
blk911
blk911
01/05/2007 11:19 pm
thank you! Not lazy...well maybe a bit...but I am just getting back into my music and have not fully developed my 'hearing'!!
# 19
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/06/2007 7:29 am
this month is gonna be hard...

dunno if I'll even ever get around to it. heck, I didn't get to last month even though I said I would :(
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.