Class President

guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/17/2006 6:15 pm
hey, I haven't posted in awhile, just been busy with hw and tons of other stuff, but I'm glad to be back. Anyways, I decided to run for freshman class president. I've been campaigning since thursday, with tons of humorous posters and what not. I achieved my goal with the propaganda- everybody knows who I am and that I'm running, some people even have decided to vote for me because of the posters. There are 4 other people running, I have a pretty good chance, except one of the kids running is really popular, he hasn't done much campaigning at all, but people will vote for him because he's really popular, I still however want to try to beat him. We have to give speeches on Tuesday and I'm about halfway through writing mine. I'm trying to make it funny and such. The main thing I'm promising is to lift the ban on mp3 players, but everyone is going to say that so I need to present in a unique way somehow. I'm kind of stuck on what else to put in there, any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

Rock stars ... is there anything they don't know?
# 1
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/17/2006 6:40 pm
because they have gotten stolen, and kids listen to them when they're not supposed to basicly. If I get elected I'm going to make a petition and write at the top:

Everyone who signs this petition agrees to accept responsibility for lost or stolen items and not listen to music in class unless permitted by a teacher if the ban on mp3 players is lifted

or something like that
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead.

# 2
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/17/2006 7:44 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraSo rather than do something about the thieves, they'd rather just ban them.

Yay for problem solving.

haha, ya, seriously, do you have any advice for my speech? Anything you would want in a class president?

# 3
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
09/17/2006 8:15 pm
free cheese.
War?
# 4
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/17/2006 9:16 pm
Ok, here is my finished speech, what do you think?

Hello my fellow freshmen. My name is Inney Prakash. To clear up any rumors currently circulating the school about me- I am freakin-sweet. I want nothing more in life than to be your class president. Honestly, I really would be unbelievably and unaccountably joyous if I won this election. Let me start out by telling you a little about myself. Like most people, I enjoy doing things. Some of the things I enjoy doing are playing guitar, making short videos, and running for class president. I’m an easy going guy and I don’t fear anything. Except maybe bees, typewriters and snakes on a plane. Let’s get down to my qualifications. I am a natural good leader, and I volunteer when I can. I have run for office such as student council in the past but have always lost by a few votes. Now as for my policies, after asking around it seems that the #1 thing people want changed, which I highly agree with, is mp3 players.. I also feel that mp3 players should be allowed in this high school, and will try my hardest to lift the atrocious debacle, that is the ban on mp3 players If elected, I will begin efforts to lift the ban immediately.. In addition, if there is anything else that you want, all you have to do is let me know. After all, I would owe my presidency to you and make it my job to help you get what you want. Overall I think you would be happy with me as president. In the words of Stephen Colbert, “Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth, if so, I’m a freakin-psycho!”. Vote Inney Prakash for your Freshman class president! I’d vote for you.

# 5
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
09/17/2006 9:22 pm
sounds pretty good dude...could it be a tad too short tho? i dont know...but yeah its great the way it is now... :)
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 6
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/17/2006 10:28 pm
thanks! I might make it a little longer, but right now it comes out to about 1:45, and I don't want to make it to long, otherwise people might get bored

# 7
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
09/17/2006 11:40 pm
I'd drop the bit about you losing those other council positions and move the part about the mp3 players more to the beginning. Also, maybe give an example about how you are a good leader.

Instead of this bit here:
Originally Posted by: guitarfreak141Now as for my policies, after asking around it seems that the #1 thing people want changed, which I highly agree with, is mp3 players.
You could reword it to make it more direct to the listeners. Something like this, perhaps:

"Now as for my policies--what do you all want changed? The mp3 player ban? Yeah, everyone wants that changed! Well, that's what I'm going to do for you when you vote for me."

Or something less cheesy. :) But keep the idea of: 1) Talking to them, not at them; 2) Making it psuedo-intereractive; 3) Telling them how you can meet their request (which you just set up in the previous line).
# 8
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/18/2006 12:35 am
thanks a lot, I'll do that

# 9
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/18/2006 11:52 pm
So, I changed my speech, here is the final one, I give it tomorrow:

Hello my fellow freshmen. My name is Inney Prakash. I know you’re missing your tutorial time and you are kind of annoyed so I’m going to go ahead and try to make this as quick and as painless as possible. To clear up any rumors currently circulating the school about me- I am freakin-sweet. I want nothing more in life than to be your class president. Honestly, I really would be unbelievably and unaccountably joyous if I won this election. Let me start out by telling you a little about myself. Like most people, I enjoy doing things. Some of the things I enjoy doing are playing guitar, making short videos, and running for class president. I’m an easy going guy and I don’t fear anything. Except maybe bees and typewriters. Let’s get down to my qualifications. I am a natural good leader, and I volunteer when I can. Now as for my policies, after asking around it seems that the #1 thing YOU want changed, which I highly agree with, are mp3 players. I also feel that mp3 players should be allowed in this high school, and if elected I will immediately try my hardest to lift the atrocious debacle, that is the ban on mp3 players. In addition, if there is anything else that you want, all you have to do is let me know. After all, I would owe my presidency to you and make it my job to help you get what you want. Now, there is some part in each one of you that wants me to win, even if you don’t think so. You subconsciously want the underdog to win, and lets face it, you don’t get much more underdog than me. I really sincerely want to do your president, and I think I’d do a freakin sweet job. In the words of Stephen Colbert, “Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth, if so, I’m a freakin-psycho!” Vote Inney Prakash for your freshman class president! I’d vote for you.

# 10
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/19/2006 2:43 am
Bah, you took out the Snakes on a Plane joke. That was a surefire hit. Most high school kids are idiots and need constant references to going-ons in the media or else they will die. It's a fact.
# 11
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
09/19/2006 5:08 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarfreak141 YOU want changed, which I highly agree with,

I know its petty, but I'd change that line. You can not end a sentence with a preposition...EVER! I know most kids wont notice, but if I was in the audience, I would certainly make a note of that,and it would alter my vote...

simply " with which I strongly agree" would do,or something to that effect.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 12
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/19/2006 6:53 pm
so, I gave my speech, it went pretty good, a lot of people said they were voting for me, but the popular kid won. Because after all, life is a popularity contest.

# 13
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/19/2006 7:25 pm
Well kill him and your in! Nothing like a bloddy coup. If you wanna work for the students at your school you don't need a crummy title to do it.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/19/2006 9:01 pm
ya, even if killing him doesn't work out, you're right, I'm still on the freshman board(student council type thing)

# 15
earthman buck
earthman buck
09/20/2006 3:36 am
Originally Posted by: guitarfreak141I'm still on the freshman board(student council type thing)

Student council, huh? I remember back in the day when the Freshman Board was the sheet of plywood we nailed all the freshmen to.

Good times.
# 16
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
09/20/2006 1:34 pm
haha,Earthman, you crack me up buddy!
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 17
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
guitarfreak141
Obsessed Freak
09/20/2006 6:57 pm
haha nice, well, freshman hazing has since died out, luckily for me

there are threats of "freshman friday", but nothing ever happens

# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.