Favorite Rhythm Gutiarist, and Rhythm Riff

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/07/2006 2:26 pm
Ok, here's a little twist on a typical thread in this section. I'm pretty sure it's been done before, but I don't recall it being done in a good while.... Who is your favorite rhythm guitarist, and what is your favorite rythm riff. You can state more than one of each, but try to explain why you picked who/what you did. This isn't a thread about who's better or anything like that, so any posts going in that direction will be deleted or edited. I'm primarily a rhythm guitarist, so it's what I pay attention to the most. I consider the rhythm section to be the "meat and potatoes" of a song/band, and the lead/solo sections to be the "gravy/sauce/salt/pepper/etc..." of a song/band. You could have the meat and potatoes without all the extra stuff, and still be satisfied, but to just have the extra stuff would leave you still feeling a bit empty. Do you know what I mean, or have I completely confused you? lol!

Here's another analogy. I was always a lineman while playing football (American), and look at the rhythm section to be like the linemen, and the lead section to be like the running backs/quarterback/receiver/etc... in that they are the ones who get all the glory, and make all the touchdowns, but if it weren't for the linemen blocking for them, they wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. Am I still confusing the hell out of you? Oh well... on to who you like...

Eddie Van Halen is know for his lead playing skills, but the main reason I like him is because of his rhythm skills. Take songs like Panama, Unchained, and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love... Those songs wouldn't be what they are if it weren't for their kick ass rythm riffage. I first learned that rythm can be really fun, and stand out as the most notable part of a song, from learning songs like I just mentioned.

Zakk Wylde is also most notably known for his lead playing skills, but he is also a great rhythm guitarist as well. I'm picking him because of his versatility. Not too many guitarist can go from playing some heavey ass chug-a-chug metal to some down home country ass chickin-pickin, at the drop of a hat. I also love his acoustic work. Songs like Machinegun Man just put a smile on my face. (favorite version is him playing it live on mtv's headbangers ball a long time ago)

I've also got to add Slash, Izzy, and Malcolm Young to the list as well. I love their rhythm because of the shear rawness it has along with that soulfull bluesyness they throw in.

As for riffs.. Some of my favorites would be the 3 I listed by VH... Machinegun Man by Zakk, basicaly the whole Appetite album by G'N'R, and AC/DC Live contain most of my favorite all time riffs.

Now, what about ya'll?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
07/07/2006 2:46 pm
Jimi Hendrix is sometimes lost -- IMHO-- as an acomplished Rhytm Player.

Spanish Castle Magic, Castles Made of Sand, Room Full of Mirrors, Wind Cries Mary are some examples of his ability that stand out in my mind as awesome rhythm.

Lenny Kravitz I think is also not noticed for his Rhythm guitar playing. If I remember the CD sleeve (have lost them along time ago) on his first 2 albums most of his songs were written and performed by just him--Please correct me if I am wrong.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
07/07/2006 3:20 pm
james hetfield is definately up there for me, his rythm is somtimes complex but always feels natural to me, also i love his rythmy solo's.

Daraon Malakian of soad does some awesome rythm because he plays guitar with a drummers mentality, that feels real organic for me too.
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
07/07/2006 3:25 pm
I would add Nick Catanese to the list.... he plays actaul rhythm guitar for Zakk in Black Label... he's also an all around great guitarist... He plays right along with Zakk note for note a lot of times...

Dave Wiener for Steve Vai...

I second James Hettfield...

Izzy Stradlin of GNR...

Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters...

EDIT!!!

Add John Mayer to that list too... That guy can build a groove like not many can...

And Also Dave Matthews... His playing is so different from the normal acoustic playing... it's so sloppy but produces such a cool rhythm for the band.
# 4
jimmy_kwtx
jimmy_kwtx
07/07/2006 3:40 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanAnd Also Dave Matthews... His playing is so different from the normal acoustic playing... it's so sloppy but produces such a cool rhythm for the band.

+1

Definately falls through the cracks.

**********Gotta Spread it around some more****** :o
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I reject your reality and substitue my own[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]BYAAAAAAAAAAAH![/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]But it goes to eleven....[/FONT]
# 5
alucard0941
alucard0941
07/07/2006 3:56 pm
Mines would have to be either Dave Mustaine or Joe Satriani. (wow, how random... :rolleyes: ). I like Dave cause he made some of the best grilled marinated meat and the tastiest potatoes off all metal guitarists. Joe Satriani is also wonderful cause hes one of the few solo guitarists that has awesome songs without guitar solos trying to make it better. I can listen to his stuff and be amazed of this creativity before the usually 2:50 min bridge leading to a solo.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 6
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/07/2006 4:18 pm
Originally Posted by: alucard0941I like Dave cause he made some of the best grilled marinated meat and the tastiest potatoes off all metal guitarists.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to alucard0941 again." Awesome dude! :D

I also want to add a few more to my list of favorite rhythm guitarists :rolleyes:

Jerry Cantrell... Another very versatile guitarist, in the variety of styles he is capable of playing well. I like Jerry because of his uniqueness. When you hear one of his riff's, you know it's him playing.

Nick Catanese (good call aschleman)... I've got a BLS DVD, and Adam's right. Nick plays note for note right along with Zakk... even with some of the lead stuff.

For acoustic guitarists, I love Dave Matthews as well, but was really blown away with Monte Montgomery and Tommy Emmanuel (sp?). Words simply can't describe their talent!

Edit:
Almost forgot to put SRV in there! He plays with so much soul in his rythm and lead that you can literally understand just what he's trying to say without any words.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 7
aschleman
aschleman
07/07/2006 4:27 pm
Good call on Jerry Cantrell, PRS. His leads are pretty tight too.

I have the Boozed, Bruised, and Broken Boned (I think that's what it's called) DVD and it's got some great riffs on it... I like Graveyard Disciples and Demise of Sanity a lot... Bleed for Me gets me going too... I love Zakks Riffs... Him and Nick definitely destroy all when they're playing together.

If you want to check out some other cool stuff from him DEFINITELY check out his Pride and Glory side project album pre-Black Label... and also his Book of Shadows CD... both are awesome...
# 8
Mark Pav
Mark Pav
07/07/2006 4:31 pm
Yeah, I'll put in another vote for Jimi. Little Wing is really one of the most interesting songs ever as far as rhythm guitar goes.

Also, Andy Summers from the Police came up with some cool riffs.

And John and Paul from the Beatles didn't come up with very many rhythms that were all that innovative, but the chord progressions they used in some of their songs were awesome.

Gotta mention Keith Richards, too!
# 9
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/07/2006 4:52 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanI have the Boozed, Bruised, and Broken Boned (I think that's what it's called) DVD and it's got some great riffs on it... I like Graveyard Disciples and Demise of Sanity a lot... Bleed for Me gets me going too... I love Zakks Riffs... Him and Nick definitely destroy all when they're playing together.

That's the same DVD I've got. Awesome stuff! Bood of Shadows is one of my favorite CD's of his as well.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 10
polansky
polansky
07/07/2006 6:16 pm
Gotta say...

James from metallica, damn good he can hold anything
Nuno in extreme, funky riffs... pretty sweet
Dimebag has an awesome feel in most of rhythm parts
Vai has pretty cool grove too (check cameleon from Billy Sheehan solo CD on live at astoria DVD).

But let's not forgget one hell of a player that does amazing rhythm parts...

Mr. Jhon Petrucci, DAMN I wish I could wirtte rhythm riffs like his (check most of Dream Theater train of tought, his solo album Suspended Animation has great rhythm stuff like Damage control).

And in other direction, I dig a lot into "G Love and the special sauce" groove, dunno why.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.
# 11
aschleman
aschleman
07/07/2006 7:25 pm
I correct myself... or want to add someone...

I said Dave Weiner who plays rhythm for Vai... but the other rhythm player is just as good... and he play keyboards too... Can't remember his name off the top of my head... but I saw them live last year at the House of Blues in Chicago and damn... that band was nuts... the drummer was some 27 year old... then you have Vai and Sheehan.... then the two rhythm players... one was black and he was trading licks with Vai like it was nothing... Weiner is more of a rhythm player than a the other guy... but they both backed Vai so that speaks volume about them as players....
# 12
alucard0941
alucard0941
07/07/2006 8:50 pm
Gotta also mention Micheal Romeo, surprizingly.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 13
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/07/2006 9:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Mark Pav
And John and Paul from the Beatles didn't come up with very many rhythms that were all that innovative, but the chord progressions they used in some of their songs were awesome.

+1 for John and Paul, and don't forget George. He wrote some great progressions with the Beatles, and some of the things he wrote in his solo career were just fantastic.

David Gilmour is famous mainly for his jaw-dropping leads, but he is also a fantastic rhythm player. He has written many iconic riffs that are both straightforward and nuanced; he is also quite technically adept in this area, using lots of different tunings and rhythm techniques. I just can't get over how brilliant this guy is.

Probably my favourite rhythm player is George Benson. Not only does he write the most fantastic stuff, but he puts a lot of energy and emotion into his playing. His rhythms are, in every way, the meat and potatoes of his songs, and the things that I admire him for the most. Even his leads are built very tightly into the groove. A master of rhythm guitar, IMO.

Honourable mentions:

Lenny Breau - Anyone who can play such complex rhythms and solo in the upper register AT THE SAME TIME is something special.

Robbie Krieger from The Doors - He's written some of my favourite rhythms and riffs, and I really like his loose, relaxed style.

Neil Young - What can I say? Genius.

The guy who plays for Robbie Williams - you may laugh :o , he is actually a very good guitarist IMO.

Ritchie Blackmore - The godfather of rock rhythm guitar! Nobody knew how to make a simple riff sound so awesome - except perhaps Tony Iommi, who gets another honourable mention for the record.

Eric Peterson from Testament - Some of the most intricate riffing in thrash. (Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield are also fantastic)

Michael Wilton from Queensryche - Got to get a word in for my 2nd favourite band! :D Seriously, though, he's fantastic - his playing is such an enormous part of the band's sound.

Dare I say Syd Barrett? ;)
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 14
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/07/2006 9:02 pm
Originally Posted by: AkiraHe has wrote some sweet ass riffs with Symphony X.

Hell yes. The riff for "Fallen" has been stuck in my head for about a month.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 15
earthman buck
earthman buck
07/07/2006 10:05 pm
I think I'll go with songs rather than guitarists, or else I'll be here all week.

Unchained -- Van Halen
Don't Bother Me, Norwegian Wood, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Michelle -- the Beatles
Touch Too Much -- AC/DC
Pinball Wizard -- the Who
The Red and the Black -- Blue Oyster Cult
Rockin' in the Free World, Ohio, Hey Hey My My, Cinnamon Girl -- Neil Young
Mother's Little Helper, 19th Nervous Breakdown -- the Rolling Stones
Cemetery -- the Headstones

Not to mention pretty much anything by Black Sabbath.
# 16
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
07/08/2006 12:49 am
I would have to say SRV, and Jimi Hendrix.

If you listen to the backing funk rhythms in "Night bird flying", and "Freedom" from first rays of the rising sun. they are awesome! I also love his rhythmic aproach to r&b guitar such as little wing, hey joe, and wind cries mary. it's just awesome!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 17
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/08/2006 1:03 am
Everyone you guys said.

My favorite riff is probably "Life in the Fast Lane"-The Eagles
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 18
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/08/2006 1:59 pm
Joe Walsh is [u]The Man[/u].

Can't forget his James Gang and other non-Eagles stuff, either. LATS and some of our other more "seasoned" members will squirm and squelch at the mention of this song, but there's a very good reason why they and Mr. Walsh himself are sick to death of Funk #49.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 19
alucard0941
alucard0941
07/08/2006 3:18 pm
Favorite riff is probably Cat Sctatch Fever.

__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.