View post (Favorite Rhythm Gutiarist, and Rhythm Riff)

View thread

jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/07/2006 9:00 pm
Originally Posted by: Mark Pav
And John and Paul from the Beatles didn't come up with very many rhythms that were all that innovative, but the chord progressions they used in some of their songs were awesome.

+1 for John and Paul, and don't forget George. He wrote some great progressions with the Beatles, and some of the things he wrote in his solo career were just fantastic.

David Gilmour is famous mainly for his jaw-dropping leads, but he is also a fantastic rhythm player. He has written many iconic riffs that are both straightforward and nuanced; he is also quite technically adept in this area, using lots of different tunings and rhythm techniques. I just can't get over how brilliant this guy is.

Probably my favourite rhythm player is George Benson. Not only does he write the most fantastic stuff, but he puts a lot of energy and emotion into his playing. His rhythms are, in every way, the meat and potatoes of his songs, and the things that I admire him for the most. Even his leads are built very tightly into the groove. A master of rhythm guitar, IMO.

Honourable mentions:

Lenny Breau - Anyone who can play such complex rhythms and solo in the upper register AT THE SAME TIME is something special.

Robbie Krieger from The Doors - He's written some of my favourite rhythms and riffs, and I really like his loose, relaxed style.

Neil Young - What can I say? Genius.

The guy who plays for Robbie Williams - you may laugh :o , he is actually a very good guitarist IMO.

Ritchie Blackmore - The godfather of rock rhythm guitar! Nobody knew how to make a simple riff sound so awesome - except perhaps Tony Iommi, who gets another honourable mention for the record.

Eric Peterson from Testament - Some of the most intricate riffing in thrash. (Dave Mustaine and James Hetfield are also fantastic)

Michael Wilton from Queensryche - Got to get a word in for my 2nd favourite band! :D Seriously, though, he's fantastic - his playing is such an enormous part of the band's sound.

Dare I say Syd Barrett? ;)
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>