View post (Favorite Rhythm Gutiarist, and Rhythm Riff)

View thread

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/07/2006 2:26 pm
Ok, here's a little twist on a typical thread in this section. I'm pretty sure it's been done before, but I don't recall it being done in a good while.... Who is your favorite rhythm guitarist, and what is your favorite rythm riff. You can state more than one of each, but try to explain why you picked who/what you did. This isn't a thread about who's better or anything like that, so any posts going in that direction will be deleted or edited. I'm primarily a rhythm guitarist, so it's what I pay attention to the most. I consider the rhythm section to be the "meat and potatoes" of a song/band, and the lead/solo sections to be the "gravy/sauce/salt/pepper/etc..." of a song/band. You could have the meat and potatoes without all the extra stuff, and still be satisfied, but to just have the extra stuff would leave you still feeling a bit empty. Do you know what I mean, or have I completely confused you? lol!

Here's another analogy. I was always a lineman while playing football (American), and look at the rhythm section to be like the linemen, and the lead section to be like the running backs/quarterback/receiver/etc... in that they are the ones who get all the glory, and make all the touchdowns, but if it weren't for the linemen blocking for them, they wouldn't amount to a hill of beans. Am I still confusing the hell out of you? Oh well... on to who you like...

Eddie Van Halen is know for his lead playing skills, but the main reason I like him is because of his rhythm skills. Take songs like Panama, Unchained, and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love... Those songs wouldn't be what they are if it weren't for their kick ass rythm riffage. I first learned that rythm can be really fun, and stand out as the most notable part of a song, from learning songs like I just mentioned.

Zakk Wylde is also most notably known for his lead playing skills, but he is also a great rhythm guitarist as well. I'm picking him because of his versatility. Not too many guitarist can go from playing some heavey ass chug-a-chug metal to some down home country ass chickin-pickin, at the drop of a hat. I also love his acoustic work. Songs like Machinegun Man just put a smile on my face. (favorite version is him playing it live on mtv's headbangers ball a long time ago)

I've also got to add Slash, Izzy, and Malcolm Young to the list as well. I love their rhythm because of the shear rawness it has along with that soulfull bluesyness they throw in.

As for riffs.. Some of my favorites would be the 3 I listed by VH... Machinegun Man by Zakk, basicaly the whole Appetite album by G'N'R, and AC/DC Live contain most of my favorite all time riffs.

Now, what about ya'll?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<