Favorite Rhythm Gutiarist, and Rhythm Riff

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
07/08/2006 6:22 pm
John Frusciante of RHCP. He always knows exactly what to play and comes up with very original (...usually) rythms and riffs. He also got a cool original voice. I also respect him cause he really shines live and isn't afraid to mix up his regular rythms.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
gogogo
gogogo
07/08/2006 8:30 pm
I'm mostly a blues cat and I love SRV's rythmn sections and the way he mixes progressions and quick runs ala Hendrix...amazing stuff. I also looovvvveee jazz and I think George Benson is a great rythmnist (Give me the night, Breezin, This Masquerade). I love em all. I think that alot of old R&B/Classic soul songs had great rythmn guitarist. They may not have been the most complex but great none the less. Also for a great live jazz adaptation check this cover of I think miles davis done by George Benson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ucr8lI9gU
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/08/2006 9:55 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovJoe Walsh is [u]The Man[/u].

Can't forget his James Gang and other non-Eagles stuff, either. LATS and some of our other more "seasoned" members will squirm and squelch at the mention of this song, but there's a very good reason why they and Mr. Walsh himself are sick to death of Funk #49.

Yeah, I think his stuff after the Eagles was the best out of any of them. Glen Fry and Don Henley had thier songs but Walsh was definatly better in my opinion.

There are numerous riffs I could name off that I absolutley love.

Crazy train and Mr. Crowley- Randy Rhoads Well most of his stuff
Rainbow In the Dark-Dio
Wayward Son-Kansas
the list could go on but as you can tell these riffs are somewhat similar I like that kind of riff mostly but there was just a little something I like about "life in the Fast Lane"
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/08/2006 9:58 pm
Originally Posted by: gogogoI'm mostly a blues cat and I love SRV's rythmn sections and the way he mixes progressions and quick runs ala Hendrix...amazing stuff. I also looovvvveee jazz and I think George Benson is a great rythmnist (Give me the night, Breezin, This Masquerade). I love em all. I think that alot of old R&B/Classic soul songs had great rythmn guitarist. They may not have been the most complex but great none the less. Also for a great live jazz adaptation check this cover of I think miles davis done by George Benson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1ucr8lI9gU

WOOT!!! :D
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 4
earthman buck
earthman buck
07/08/2006 11:31 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyJohn Frusciante of RHCP. He always knows exactly what to play and comes up with very original (...usually) rythms and riffs. He also got a cool original voice. I also respect him cause he really shines live and isn't afraid to mix up his regular rythms.

I was thinking about this question at work today, and I was just about to add him. Way to steal my thunder, jerk.
# 5
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
07/09/2006 7:09 am
if i had to pick one rhythm guitar player it would be this guy.......

then i would not have to write music or lyrics and get bloody rich!!
seriously....he was very good and very underrated at his strumming
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 6
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
07/09/2006 7:27 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckI was thinking about this question at work today, and I was just about to add him. Way to steal my thunder, jerk.

O... :( . Well I was just about to change it to you...but now....but now... :(
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 7
earthman buck
earthman buck
07/09/2006 10:32 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyO... :( . Well I was just about to change it to you...but now....but now... :(

Oh, hey, that reminds me. I'm my own favourite rhythm guitarist. Not because I'm particularly good, but because it's fun to play around with rhythms. And I can't play lead worth a gosh-darn.
# 8
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/10/2006 4:27 pm
Dean DeLeo: Turning horrific tone and twisted chord voicings into stunning alternative rock since...

Well, whenever the Hell he got started.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
07/10/2006 7:45 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckOh, hey, that reminds me. I'm my own favourite rhythm guitarist. Not because I'm particularly good, but because it's fun to play around with rhythms. And I can't play lead worth a gosh-darn.

Ok. You our favourite rythym player and I'll be our favourite lead player. ;)

METOOB
# 10
earthman buck
earthman buck
07/10/2006 8:38 pm
Originally Posted by: ericthecableguyOk. You our favourite rythym player and I'll be our favourite lead player. ;)

This ericmancablebucksguy is turning out to be one awesome little dude.
# 11
wtfismyname4
wtfismyname4
07/11/2006 6:46 pm
I actually like some of the rythem stuff of the Doobie Brothers, it's not alot of really hard stuff, but its some good sounding stuff.
# 12
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/11/2006 11:38 pm
Well for jazz (sorry to bring it up), Freddie Green. He is the king of it all.

And then there's, of course, Pete Townshend. His razy strumming does it for me in terms of rhythm, and to throw out a clice, dare I say "Pinball Wizard?" Well if you want more, check out all the rifts on the rock opera Tommy.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 13
alucard0941
alucard0941
07/12/2006 12:21 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckThis ericmancablebucksguy is turning out to be one awesome little dude.

and who was the guy who led to his creation???? ;)
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 14
Grumpy Smurf
Grumpy Smurf
07/12/2006 1:40 am
As far as a rhythm player goes I'd throw Scott Ian (Anthrax) and Malcolm Young (AC/DC) out there.

Far as the favorite riff goes kind of a toss up between "Pride and Joy" by Stevie Ray Vaughan and "I'm Leaving You" by Kenny Wayne Shepherd.
# 15
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/12/2006 3:42 am
Originally Posted by: The AceWell for jazz (sorry to bring it up), Freddie Green. He is the king of it all.

Agreed - he really stands out in Count Basie's songs :cool:.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 16
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/12/2006 1:09 pm
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusAgreed - he really stands out in Count Basie's songs :cool:.

I don't think big band directors realize the mportance of having a guitarist play freddie green style - it does so much for the band in terms of keeping time, helping the music swing, not getting in the way of the piano, etc...

Count Basie understood that.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 17
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/12/2006 10:34 pm
Originally Posted by: The AceI don't think big band directors realize the mportance of having a guitarist play freddie green style - it does so much for the band in terms of keeping time, helping the music swing, not getting in the way of the piano, etc...

Count Basie understood that.

Indeed. A lot of more contemporary jazz groups don't, though. Take Soulive for instance (not a big band, but anyway) - their guitarist is very good, but he's just used like another sax or something. There are essentially three lead instruments with some standard backing from the brass. Perhaps they should get another guitarist :D.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.